Beatles "Hard Days Night" on Critierion DVD/BluRay with Giles Martin 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my copy today at B&N for a grand total of $3.84(a bunch of discounts and a $25 gift card is how it was so cheap)

I got my copy today for a grand total of $3.84(a bunch of discounts and a $25 gift card is how it was so cheap)

It will be half price at B&N stores starting tomorrow.

Already is sale priced on their website.

More pictures.

Attachments

• beatles_hdn_bd_open.jpg
    beatles_hdn_bd_open.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 210
I tried out the DVDs. Could not play DVD 1 on my Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player. It acted like it was the wrong region. Tried it a couple of times. It plays on my Panasonic Blu-ray player though. It contains the movie and two trailers. I could play DVD 2 on the Pioneer Elite just fine. Played the Running .. Jumping film I will try out the Blu-ray tomorrow.

I tried out the DVDs. Could not play DVD 1 on my Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player. It acted like it was the wrong region. Tried it a couple of times. It plays on my Panasonic Blu-ray player though. It contains the movie and two trailers. I could play DVD 2 on the Pioneer Elite just fine. Played the Running .. Jumping film I will try out the Blu-ray tomorrow.

I have several blu ray players and the Pioneer Elite is one of them; so I decided to try out the DVD's. Both of them loaded and played without a problem(just played the beginnings of both discs to see if they loaded properly)so it might be your machine. The Pioneer Elite has been a "quirky" player to say the least. When I first got it the remote sensor wouldn't work most of the time. It would take 5 or 6 attempts to get the door open. I sent it in for repair and Pioneer kept it for over 6 weeks and when it returned it worked perfectly. Lately I have to unplug it frequently for it to work properly; I hope it's not going back to the previous erratic behavior:howl

There is just something I can't help but find distasteful about the whole concept of the Criterion Collection. It takes the excess of bourgeois elitism to an almost unjustifiable level.

There is just something I can't help but find distasteful about the whole concept of the Criterion Collection. It takes the excess of bourgeois elitism to an almost unjustifiable level.

Stop! I pissed myself laughing! But how true makes it even funnier!(y)

Just picked up my copy at B&N 50% off until 7/28 total was $21.75! Retails $39.95. The B&N web site has it at 50% off also. now is the time to get it! Can't wait until tonight! Beer and Beatles.
On my 130 watt Onkyo through my Oppo 103

watched a bit of it last night-had my little grandpa here and she rules when staying here, so again to-nite I'll watch it through.. But, what I did see was wonderful!
Original film grain-cleaned up and looks great, and the audio is very well done. I plan on turning it up so if you are anywhere near me, you know what I'm doing, you'll clearly hear it.

In that vein, if the Blu-ray audio is really a 3-channel mix, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get the DVD for the stereo soundtrack. I don't have a center channel anyway and I don't have a large screen TV. Do you think I could hear the difference in stereo on the DVD vs. the Blu-ray? Anyone?

In that vein, if the Blu-ray audio is really a 3-channel mix, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get the DVD for the stereo soundtrack. I don't have a center channel anyway and I don't have a large screen TV. Do you think I could hear the difference in stereo on the DVD vs. the Blu-ray? Anyone?

Blu ray audio? It's a movie and you would benefit from the video on the blu ray; regardless of your screen size.

The DVD has the same audio options, just of the lossy dolby variety. I'm sure they could have fit PCM on it if they wanted to though. But they didn't. And we know why, don't we?

The DVD has the same audio options, just of the lossy dolby variety. I'm sure they could have fit PCM on it if they wanted to though. But they didn't. And we know why, don't we?

Because the DVD-Video standard doesn't allow for 3-channel PCM (or 5.1-channel PCM). Your choices are 1-channel or 2-channel PCM, Dolby Digital (2.0 or 5.1) or DTS 5.1. There are no other DVD-Video options for the audio track. The spec also states that PCM or Dolby Digital only must be in audio track 1. Audio track 2 may include DTS.

I guess I should have been more specific. Everything but the 5.1 could have been PCM.

Back