Beatles "Hard Days Night" on Critierion DVD/BluRay with Giles Martin 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference on the DVD for Dolby Digital versus two channel PCM:
Stereo 320-kbps Dolby Digital for 92 minutes = 176mbits = 22MB
Stereo 48/16 PCM stereo for 92 minutes = 8478.7mbps = 1059MB (makes sense since a CD is 700MB and that would be 70 minutes at 44.1/16)

So over a gigbyte difference on an 8.5GB disc. That's 12.4% of the total disc.

What would you like to give up on the disc for a PCM track?

It actually costs more money to include Dolby Digital since there are licensing fees (relatively small) with Dolby Digital that you don't have to include with PCM.

While it may provide more incentive to purchase the BD as well, the real reason for not including PCM is the small size of a DVD disc.

That's right. 92 minutes of 48/24 would be 3/2 the size of 16-bit so that's 1589MB.

My memory is that 24-bit audio is allowed on the DVD-Video spec but it is not mandatory for a player to play a 48/24 track. So, your would still have to include a primary Dolby Digital or 48/16 track as the primary audio track, much like DTS is done on a DVD-Video disc. This would allow compatibility with older players and would eat up disc space.

Blu ray audio? It's a movie and you would benefit from the video on the blu ray; regardless of your screen size.
Not true.
There are specific screen size and viewing distance parameters for being able to discern resolution on any given screen.
For example, you can have a 96" screen but of you sit 18' from it your eyes cannot resolve the pixels so it is a waste.
Hi-Def is really no worth it unless you have at the very least a ~46" screen and sit very close.

Not true.
There are specific screen size and viewing distance parameters for being able to discern resolution on any given screen.
For example, you can have a 96" screen but of you sit 18' from it your eyes cannot resolve the pixels so it is a waste.
Hi-Def is really no worth it unless you have at the very least a ~46" screen and sit very close.

Disagree -HD is good with a 34" screen. Any less and it's not worth the trouble. I lived with a 34" CRT many years until going big. And I miss it every day!

Not true.

That's debatable, I won't get off topic here but I came from the video world and a lot of those "preferred distances" have been disproven. The point I was trying to make is someday the poster will have a larger screen size/quality display and the small savings now isn't a prudent investment IMO.

That's debatable, I won't get off topic here but I came from the video world and a lot of those "preferred distances" have been disproven. The point I was trying to make is someday the poster will have a larger screen size/quality display and the small savings now isn't a prudent investment IMO.

And there are limits-And-a man has to know his limitations.

I took a listen to If I Fell again and I've been able to prove (to myself at least) that the "was in was in vain" lyric found on the Blu-Ray disc is actually the unedited version of the song. The previous stereo and mono releases of If I Fell had the first "was in" removed by editing in those two beats from the first "was in vain" in the song. That's tight editing but certainly do-able by someone skilled with a razor blade and splicing tape back then. The amount of edits in She Loves You shows that EMI was certainly capable of that.

I'll assume whoever did the new mix of If I Fell didn't see the mixing notes or the edit wasn't included in the mixing notes from 1964. So, the unedited version appears for the first time on the Blu-Ray disc. I believe the studio documentation is consistent with If I Fell being mixed in 1964 and then the next time it was mixed was 2013/2014. Maybe they'll remember the edit in 2064...

I already have 2 different 5.1 versions of this film - one on DTS-DVD-Video that is absolutely superb, and another on a Blu-ray from a few years back now that simply is not as good as the DTS-DVD version.
I seriously doubt Giles' version will be an improvement.

I already have 2 different 5.1 versions of this film - one on DTS-DVD-Video that is absolutely superb, and another on a Blu-ray from a few years back now that simply is not as good as the DTS-DVD version.
I seriously doubt Giles' version will be an improvement.

The 1080p 2014 Criterion remaster of Richard Lester's A HARD DAY'S DAY, which I own, was 4K scanned from the original camera negative and remixed into LOSSLESS DTS HD MA 5.1 48/24. I'm also positive the new Criterion Native UHD4K disc will be struck from this master.

The remix on the 2014 disc is credited to Apple Records.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Hard-Days-Night-Blu-ray/97882/#Review

Back