BluRay Music Video Poll Beatles - HELP! [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of The Beatles - HELP!

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this BluRay issue of the previously released DTS 5.1 DVD edition of the Beatles movie HELP! The 2007 DVD and this BluRay contain new 5.1 mixes of all of the Beatles songs in the film.

The DVD discussion thread for this title can be found here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?8572

The post below is copied from the above thread. It's my breakdown of the 5.1 mix as I played it on my PC and listened to the files through Sound Forge after I ripped them. The BluRay is the same audio mix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(From 2007)
Here's a breakdown of what I found on a real quick run through of the DTS 5.1 audio tracks. Remember, in all of the songs, the rears image the fronts, with the vocal track echoed a bit (not too much but it's there). What I call out here are the obvious things I heard, subject to "Old Fart Error!" ;)

HELP!

DRUMS: Front Left
ACOUSTIC GUITAR: Front Right
TOM TOM: Front Right
ELECTRIC GUITAR: Front Right
BASS: Front Left
VOCALS: Center
LEAD GUITAR: Rears

YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THAT GIRL

BONGOS: Front Right
GUITAR SOLO: Front Right

YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY

ACOUSTIC STRUM: Front Left
ACOUSTIC LEAD: Front Right
TAMBORINE: Front Left
SOLO FLUTE LEAD: Center
BASS FLUTE HARMONY: Rears

TICKET TO RIDE

LEAD GUITAR: Front Right
GUITAR SOLO AT BREAK: Center
HAND CLAPPING: Rear Left
ELECTRIC GUITAR: Rears

I NEED YOU

ACOUSTIC GUITAR: Front Left
COWBELL: Front Right
HARMONY VOCAL: Front Right
LEAD VOCAL: Center
The rears follow the fronts on this one

NIGHT BEFORE*

KEYBOARD: Front Right
GUITAR SOLO: Center
"She's A Woman": Center
HARMONY & BACKGROUND VOCAL: Rears

ANOTHER GIRL

LEAD GUITAR: Front Right
HARMONY VOCALS: Center

One thing that was fun was being able to clearly hear the guitar parts and Ringo's drum kit. The 5.1 mix really allows the listener to hear these parts being played instead of having them buried into the fabric of the tune. Where the background vocals are listed as being in the rears, please note they are also heard at lesser volumes in the other speakers.

If you were worried about these songs just being processed through a matrix decoder of some sort, fear not. These are real multitrack derived mixes.

* - Interrupted for movie

Hmm, Had this a while now, one thing I did notice, and had not seen before is the opening where Ringo is working the hi-hat cymbals. Never did see that before. The music is spot on, and sounds great in 5.1. The video is also great. Very clean.

The picture is pristine and the surround makes great use of the rear channels... I wish we could get the entire Help album mixed in surround with this quality! Fun movie. If A Hard Days Night is a ten (which it is for me), this gets a 9.

The restoration looks terrific and the surround mix is very impressive, especially for mid-period Beatles. The film may not have the appeal of A Hard Day's Night but it never fails to amuse me. A 10!

A 10 for the music and 5.1 mix. I do wish that there was a complete version of The Night Before offered without the cut to the underground scene however. Oh but I'll get used to it, just like the dropout in the original of Day Tripper.

Long time fan of 5.1 mixes/presentations and only just got this and Hard Days Night.

Always loved the movies, and really appreciate the updated look to the films, but wow, the music and surround mixes are just terrific.

Voting late, so I had to keep the Sgt. Pepper blu-ray in mind. An 8.

There were some issues in my player due to the dual-layer format. Stopped about half-way on some playings.

As with "Yellow Submarine", I've been comparing the 5.1 mixes on this disc to the 5.1 mixes that are on "1+"

This time around, the "Help!" (movie) 5.1 mixes for both "Ticket to Ride" and the title track ("Help"!) are better on here than they are on "1+"
The "1+" mixes are not bad, but the title track on here particularly sounds better with the lead electric guitar clearly and discretely behind you

This Blu-Ray is definitely one to track down. Apart from "The Night Before", you get full 5.1 versions of the other 6 songs, and they all sound great!

:)

OMG, I had never seen this movie and now I know why...not even the music was worth it!!! (maybe.."The night before") but ..
I WANT MY 90+ minutes back...
what an AWFUL MOVIE!!!!!!
How could they make this huge stinker after a classic like AHDN?????

..ugh!!!

It's a movie that is, as they say, "of its time."

OMG, I had never seen this movie and now I know why...not even the music was worth it!!! (maybe.."The night before") but ..
I WANT MY 90+ minutes back...
what an AWFUL MOVIE!!!!!!
How could they make this huge stinker after a classic like AHDN?????

..ugh!!!

Aww....

You can't get around the racist plotline. But the set design! The living room scene! And some good music videos. Plus, without Help! we'd never have had The Monkees. It's a bit of surrealistic fluff that, granted, doesn't compare to A Hard Day's Night. But at least it's no Magical Mystery Tour. (And, hey, Martin Scorcese likes it...!)

Musically it sounds pretty good to me , and those tunes really go gusto when heard in surround.
Quite surprising actually.

"You Got To Hide Your Love Away " kind of a precursor of better tunes on albums yet come.

Back