Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Had a first listen to the 5.1 last night; thought it sounded darn good, need a few more listens at full bloomin' volume (sans Mrs. Pupster :).)

Just a couple first impressions:

The graphics had a neat way to choose Sound choices, but when the music plays I got tired of watching the film strips unfurl over and over again. if they ever do Magical Mystery Tour or other, maybe they could be a little more inventive and have custom graphics for each song. In this day and age, shouldn't be too tough (didn't XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE do something like that :unsure:)

Overall sounded great to me; just such a joy to hear finally all cleaned up in surround, but then it all went by waaayyy too quickly (a sign that it was really good!)

There's one song (sorry forget which one) that it sounded like the center vocals were a little too pushed almost to distortion (is that in the original recording that way, maybe redlined it from the mics?)

The Long and Winding Road, a real tear jerker for me and now even more so. I'm always slightly amused by Paul's singing on that one; how when some of the half spoken words have a very British accent to them.

Will take a lead from @edisonbaggins' drug influenced Unboxing :p (hope the concert went well for ya) and be sure to read through the book on this, just fealin' it somehow!
My son came over today and we listened to the album, in Atmos. Just super really. We both were annoyed at the damn 35mm negatives back and forth. Geez......I wish you could choose your own "animation"

AshBuchanan

QQ Supporter
Impressed with the 5.1 mix on first listen. The rehearsals discs contain some great moments, but they're only 70 min long. I'm disappointed that there are no fast versions of Two of Us. Maybe Disney have first pick of all that material for the film.

Mcallister

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Sonically as well? I’m interested in any compromises listening to the album in streamed Atmos vs physical disc Atmos. Thx
It’s not close. Just listened to the Blu Ray after listening to the Apple stream. The Blu Ray has so much more fidelity and top end finesse. I mean the Apple stream sounds good but the blu Ray takes it up another level.

Infomas

QQ Supporter
So, I ripped an MKV file (so I can play Atmos on my system) just like I do with every other Atmos disc. This one skips badly, never happened before. I mean to say, the ripped MKV tracks skip. Not the physical disc.

Anyone have thoughts about how that oculd be?
Did you get this figured out? Sometimes it is just the CPU being overloaded from multiple applications running (like a A/V scan).

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Ralphie

you dog !!! Thanks for the laugh! You da man ! But - he's not carrying my chopped up Let It Be SuperDeluxe
Perhaps your chain saw components & Let It Be super deluxe are orbiting the Earth with Captain Kirk aboard the Bezos space capsule and your package will also contain an Extra Terrestial!👽

Bill B

QQ Supporter
Mine arrived yesterday about two hours after I got home from a hernia operation (all went well) so I finally got to hear the surround mix a few minutes ago. It is fantastic. I have always been kind of lukewarm to the "Let It Be" album when compared to the other later Beatles albums (from "Revolver" on) but this has definitely raised the stature of this album in my eyes.
Very good mix, very clear sound, excellent all around,,, a 10 without a doubt for me. Most stunning,,, "I, Me, Mine" a real audio assault for the ears. Only song I thought was a little underwhelming was "Across The Universe" which is one of my favorites, but it was still good just not as good as I thought it could be.
So glad I picked this up and now I am almost certain that I will be subscribing to Disney+ come November unless there is a firm physical release date for the documentary. I have a real problem, I am addicted and powerless when it comes to The Beatles.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My first impressions of the DTS-HD 5.1 mix are that it’s been approached similarly to Abbey Road, which definitely isn’t a bad thing :)

There are plenty of discrete elements in the rear speakers - strings, backing vocals, keyboards, and even some guitar parts. Billy Preston’s keyboard solo in “Get Back” comes entirely from the left rear speaker, as do the guitar fills in “I Me Mine” and slide guitar in “For You Blue”. The orchestra in “The Long and Winding Road” is almost completely isolated in the rear speakers.

The main guitar parts are positioned halfway between the front and rear stages (which makes them sound much ‘bigger’ than if they were each pegged to one speaker), but the guitar on the left typically leans toward the front and the guitar on the right is pushed out further toward the back. From the sweet spot, it gives the impression that one guitarist is just beside you and the other slightly over your right shoulder. I’m one who tends to prefer extreme front/rear separation, but this is a really cool effect that definitely gives that ‘center of the band’ perspective.

Critiques? Some of the louder passages do seem a bit harsh to me, particularly in the cymbals. I also agree that more could have been done with “Across The Universe”.

Last edited:

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I only have one burning question initially. Is Across the Universe still running at the wrong speed, missing the backing vocals, and including the cheezy Spector strings overdub? Following the butchered Spector remix in other words?

Is there fidelity here? That "Let it Be Naked" release made it sound like the multitracks had been beyond salvaging with any fidelity but they went forward and released what they had anyway. The original Spector release was actually higher fidelity - and it's very many steps back from Martin's productions at the time.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Isn't the base mix of Across the Universe essentially in mono, with only the Spector added tracks contributing to stereo IIRC?
If so, that would explain a lot. It sounds like the basic mono track (Lennon's vocal and acoustic guitar) is primarily in the center channel, with the orchestration in 'double-stereo' front and rear.

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I did not know this, do I have this correct?
Let It Be was released after Abbey Road, but the Abbey Road sessions where done during the same time as the Let it Be sessions?
It seems some other singles where rehearsed also?

popshop

500 Club - QQ All-Star
@marpow it's a bit complicated because they were working on dozens and dozens of songs that ended up on Let it Be, Abbey Road, All Things Must Pass, Imagine, etc.
A lot songs were recorded in January '69 or February to August of '69.
The spring/summer stuff was released as Abbey Road in September '69.
The January '69 stuff was held up due to the Let It Be film editing and various quality concerns and was released as Let It Be in May of '70.
For example Oh Darling, Polythene Pam, Something, Maxwell's, She came in through the bathroom window, etc were all around in January '69 but weren't finished until August '69.
Let It Be the album was almost completely recorded in Jan '69, though I Me Mine and Across the Universe overdubs happened way later in April '70.
Abbey Road took much longer, generally spanning February to August '69 recordings: I Want You was the first recorded (Feb 22, '69) and the sessions go until August '69.