Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well, it looks like our friend Marpow is one lucky feller. The Japanese box set includes a different Glyn Johns version of a Harrisong. I think it's fantastic news but I'm sure there will be lots of bitching and moaning about this.

While listening to the streaming version of Glyn Johns' May 1969 mix of the Get Back album, from the new Let It Be Super Deluxe Edition, keen-eared collector Yosi Noz noted that 'For You Blue' was actually Johns' 1970 mix, which contained a new lead vocal recorded in January of that year. It was once he played his physical copy of the Japanese SHM-CD Let It Be SDE, that he noted the correct "1969 Mix" of 'For You Blue' was in place, rather than the 1970 mix he had heard in the ether.

It has now been verified that the true 1969 mix of 'For You Blue' appears exclusively on the Japanese SHM-CD Let It Be SDE (Disc 4, Track 7). All other digital platforms, including the universal SDE and its hi-res counterpart, include the 1970 Glyn Johns mix (prefaced by the complete introduction with two false starts) which is erroneously labeled "1969 Mix."

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Well, it looks like our friend Marpow is one lucky feller. The Japanese box set includes a different Glyn Johns version of a Harrisong. I think it's fantastic news but I'm sure there will be lots of bitching and moaning about this.
Well, there it is, track 7, For You Blue (1969 Glyn Johns Mix) 2:54 DR 9.
It seems strange to me they would add a song on the SHM CD, not on others. It is certainly not a game changer in this box set, I listened to it, whatever, it's not that great. It was not advertised. I think it was put in there to create spin with the die hard Beatles fans.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well, there it is, track 7, For You Blue (1969 Glyn Johns Mix) 2:54 DR 9.
It seems strange to me they would add a song on the SHM CD, not on others. It is certainly not a game changer in this box set, I listened to it, whatever, it's not that great. It was not advertised. I think it was put in there to create spin with the die hard Beatles fans.
The SHM-CD contains the same number of song. The difference is that the Japan CD contains a different version of the song. All other version sout there physical and for download/streaming contain the other version. The Japan set is unique for this different version of the song.

citysoundman

Interesting quote of John about the recording of Across The Universe I found on Beatles Bible. Seems like John really disliked the release!

It was a lousy track of a great song and I was so disappointed by it. It never went out as The Beatles; I gave it to the Wildlife Fund of Great Britain, and then when Phil Spector was brought in to produce Let It Be, he dug it out of the Beatles files and overdubbed it. The guitars are out of tune and I’m singing out of tune ’cause I’m psychologically destroyed and nobody’s supporting me or helping me with it and the song was never done properly.
John Lennon
All We Are Saying, David Sheff

Last edited:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
It's a great song, but there are quite a few different Beatles versions of it, official and not official. Hopefully one of them is close to what John wanted it to be.

It's very OT, but the version done by Fiona Apple that plays at the end of the film "Pleasantville" is a particularly nice one, a bit haunting at that. I remember watching that movie on DVD way back when, and at the end when that song came on I was pretty much floored. Not just because the version was pretty damn good, but because they used that song. One of my fav's from way back when.

citysoundman

It's a great song, but there are quite a few different Beatles versions of it, official and not official. Hopefully one of them is close to what John wanted it to be.

It's very OT, but the version done by Fiona Apple that plays at the end of the film "Pleasantville" is a particularly nice one, a bit haunting at that. I remember watching that movie on DVD way back when, and at the end when that song came on I was pretty much floored. Not just because the version was pretty damn good, but because they used that song. One of my fav's from way back when.
That IS a haunting interpretation, and beautiful! I’ve always been partial to Bowie’s cover with John from Young Americans, it’s so very soulful.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I compared the Anthology "Let it Be" with the new mix. The new mix is far superior. While the Anthology mixes were really remarkable in their day, and lead to much "Beatles in 5.1" speculation, some of them have been bettered - not all of them, but this one has.

Of course, these are two different takes of the song, so a true comparison is impossible. They are musically different

The one thing about the Anthology version is that it may end up being the only reminder of the version of the lyric at the end where Paul sings "There will be no sorrow, Let it Be". When they put the video from the film of the Beatles singing this song on the "1+" release, they edited the video and audio and there is no trace of Paul singing "There will be no sorrow". One wonders when the Disney+ special and eventual BluRay are released of the film if they will modify the film in the same manner as they did for '1+'? If they did, then the Anthology version might be a forgotten curio.

Here's a look at the wav's. Top is anthology, bottom DTS HD-MA from the LIB Box

lib compare.jpg

Strilo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I do really enjoy the Atmos mix of this album. However, I still feel, as I have felt for decades, that the choir and orchestra overdubs are just awful. Long ago, I burned a CD (when that was a thing) of my own version of Let It Be that I called Get Back. I even made my own CD packaging way back that looks almost exactly like the "Get Back" cover they made for the Glyn Johns mix disc! Anyway, I recreated my old CD as an album in my Apple Music. Obviously, the song versions I chose from other non-Let It be sources are not in Atmos, but I just cannot take the Spector version of the Long And Winding Road. Anyway, if anyone's interested, here's the track listing I chose for my Get Back:
  1. Two Of Us
  2. Dig A Pony
  3. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Anthology version)
  4. Across The Universe (LIB Naked)
  5. I Me Mine (LIB Naked)
  6. Dig It
  7. Let It Be (single version from LIB SDE extras)
  8. Maggie Mae
  9. I’ve Got A Feeling
  10. One After 909
  11. Don’t Let Me Down (single version from LIB SDE extras)
  12. The Long And Winding Road (Anthology version)
  13. For You Blue
  14. Get Back

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
So.....I got the shipping confirmation e-mail from Deep Discount on the 14th. In my usual OCD fashion, I checked the shipping status on the USPS site daily. (OK, multiple times each day, LOL). They said anticipated delivery date was the 20th. On the 15th it was at a USPS distribution center in Pittsburgh. Since then, nothing. Now the tracking just says "In transit. Arriving late." Not happy! 😭☹😩

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Interesting quote of John about the recording of Across The Universe I found on Beatles Bible. Seems like John really disliked the release!

It was a lousy track of a great song and I was so disappointed by it. It never went out as The Beatles; I gave it to the Wildlife Fund of Great Britain, and then when Phil Spector was brought in to produce Let It Be, he dug it out of the Beatles files and overdubbed it. The guitars are out of tune and I’m singing out of tune ’cause I’m psychologically destroyed and nobody’s supporting me or helping me with it and the song was never done properly.
John Lennon
All We Are Saying, David Sheff
Huh. Always been one of my favorites. The Wildlife version, that is! The Spector mix that runs at the wrong speed (slow to the point of hearing exaggerated tape warble and everything) with the cheesy musak style overdubs and missing all the vocal harmonies is one of the reasons for my hate of his work. Dude was messing around with his juvenile overdubs and didn't notice the meters moving on the vocal harmony tracks apparently.

esimms86

QQ Supporter
So.....I got the shipping confirmation e-mail from Deep Discount on the 14th. In my usual OCD fashion, I checked the shipping status on the USPS site daily. (OK, multiple times each day, LOL). They said anticipated delivery date was the 20th. On the 15th it was at a USPS distribution center in Pittsburgh. Since then, nothing. Now the tracking just says "In transit. Arriving late." Not happy! 😭☹😩
I’ve had the same exact experience so you’re not alone.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Same thing with my set. :sick:

esimms86

QQ Supporter
Same thing with my set. :sick:
So I just checked again. My package arrived in Pittsburgh on the 15th and then the tracking sat in limbo until about an hour (i.e., 8 days later) when it showed up to in Springfield, MA (on the other side of the state). This means that, if it proceeds routinely from there, I should receive it on Monday or Tuesday. 🤞

I wonder what’s going on with USPS in Pittsburgh 🙄