Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

newslane

It was really interesting to learn that three of the rooftop performances were the tracks used on the album release: "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909" and "Dig a Pony". After seemingly endless attempts in the studio it's kind of amazing that the great performances came while playing it live! I'm trying to think of other studio albums where the basic tracks came from a live performance - it must be a pretty rare occurrence - and I can think of King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black". Anyone else know of any?
Even more amazing was how tight the band was considering that this was their first performance after a three-year layoff.

Strilo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Staff member
Jr. Mod
It was really interesting to learn that three of the rooftop performances were the tracks used on the album release: "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909" and "Dig a Pony". After seemingly endless attempts in the studio it's kind of amazing that the great performances came while playing it live! I'm trying to think of other studio albums where the basic tracks came from a live performance - it must be a pretty rare occurrence - and I can think of King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black". Anyone else know of any?
Yeah the first album that came to mind was R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which was largely recorded in sound checks for various shows on the band's Monster tour. I think How the West Was Won, E-Bow, Electrolite and Zither were recorded at Bad Animals in Seattle. Everything else was live at sound checks.

marcb

600 Club - QQ All-Star
How about starting a thread on this question before it completely derails this thread?

halbroome

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Back in the Mid-70’s to early 80’s I think some bands did what they called DDM or something like that meaning that they recorded direct in studio to lacquer or whatever the process was called…can’t remember the process name or bands that did it but I know at least a few Canadian bands did.

hope that helps
The Talking Heads captured their studio performances on digital for at least one album, forget which, and maybe more. Live straight to digital.

IronWaffle

Yeah the first album that came to mind was R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which was largely recorded in sound checks for various shows on the band's Monster tour. I think How the West Was Won, E-Bow, Electrolite and Zither were recorded at Bad Animals in Seattle. Everything else was live at sound checks.
If memory serves, Peter Buck wrote liner notes for the original deluxe edition from 1996 and opened them with “this is a new phase R.E.M.” album. It’s been ages since I had it in my hands and only read it once but it immediately struck me… so I’m pretty sure it isn’t faulty memory. At least that’s what my brain thinks.

Cassetto

Wasn’t Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions recorded live on a single bidirectional mic? Similar to how many of the old Living Stereo LP’s were recorded. Someone, somewhere once mentioned a rejected 5.1 mix of Trinity Sessions existed and that just seemed crazy, that someone would reprocess that album to fake surround sound. As for Direct To Disc albums, I have a couple EP’s by The Roy Ayers Quartet with Sonny Sharrock that were Japanese Direct To Discs from the early 70’s, Tower Of Power also did one, there were numerous jazz and pop vocal releases and more recently one appeared from 4/5th of Sonic Youth about 15 years ago (Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley and Jim O'Rourke's “Melbourne Direct”) and there was a label in the late 00’s that released a handful of them. Also, Jack White currently does a series of direct to lathe “Live At Third Man” 12” releases in limited runs. For the uninitiated, the complication with direct to disc releases is that you have one lathed acetate to make stampers from, which means it’s typically a one smallish pressing and your done, ‘stop the presses before the pressing quality suffers’ kinda situation, which makes them necessarily limited run and some quite rare. Sheffield Labs did a fair number and also did CD editions of some of those, which would necessitate mastering from the vinyl where no tape existed (unless they ran tape simultaneously through the live sessions). I once found a mariachi album in a dollar bin and kept it for years because the cover was so ridiculous (kind of a conversation piece). When the joke got old, I put it up on eBay and it sold for around $500.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wasn’t Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions recorded live on a single bidirectional mic? Similar to how many of the old Living Stereo LP’s were recorded. Someone, somewhere once mentioned a rejected 5.1 mix of Trinity Sessions existed and that just seemed crazy, that someone would reprocess that album to fake surround sound. As for Direct To Disc albums, I have a couple EP’s by The Roy Ayers Quartet with Sonny Sharrock that were Japanese Direct To Discs from the early 70’s, Tower Of Power also did one, there were numerous jazz and pop vocal releases and more recently one appeared from 4/5th of Sonic Youth about 15 years ago (Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley and Jim O'Rourke's “Melbourne Direct”) and there was a label in the late 00’s that released a handful of them. Also, Jack White currently does a series of direct to lathe “Live At Third Man” 12” releases in limited runs. For the uninitiated, the complication with direct to disc releases is that you have one lathed acetate to make stampers from, which means it’s typically a one smallish pressing and your done, ‘stop the presses before the pressing quality suffers’ kinda situation, which makes them necessarily limited run and some quite rare. Sheffield Labs did a fair number and also did CD editions of some of those, which would necessitate mastering from the vinyl where no tape existed (unless they ran tape simultaneously through the live sessions). I once found a mariachi album in a dollar bin and kept it for years because the cover was so ridiculous (kind of a conversation piece). When the joke got old, I put it up on eBay and it sold for around $500.
Yes "The Trinity Sessions" was recorded using an Calrec Ambisonic Mic, as was "Whites Off Earth Now!!". The MoFi SACD of "Whites Off Earth...." has a multi-channel layer with a surround 'mix' created using the GPS-Audio algorithm, it is very disappointing!