Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does that mean that eventually we will have to rent our music? And that it can suddenly disappear when the stream is pulled?
Yes and this is the reason some (too many?) of us still own huge collections of records, CDs, tapes, etc. Music collectors that grew up in the 60's - 70's became very aware of titles suddenly being cut out for various reasons and unattainable for years or sometimes never again. I'll bet many of you have fantasied about walking into a large record store the day "Yesterday And Today" came out and telling a clerk, "I'll take every copy of the the new Beatles album with the meat on the cover you have." Or the same with "Live Yardbirds" or many other titles that got pulled within days of release and became high dollar rarities.

Most people born after that period look at cloud based services/streaming like the local library. "Why would I need to own a copy and store it at my house when I could just check out a copy at the library, read it and return it?" The idea of something suddenly becoming unavailable is not a big concern. (Yes, I know certain books can and have become rare the same way recordings do, but I think you see my point.)

Streaming is convenient but if I really like a song or album, I still want to own a copy either physically or on my drives. Old habits die hard, I guess.

More likely than it disappearing is that it "suddenly" costs more to rent.
Somewhat disagree. There will be battles between streaming services - and unless you subscribe to all of them, you’ll sometimes be out of luck when new agreements are struck or pissing contests happen with artists.

Plus how often - on disc - do you see an old mastering get replaced by a newer, worse version? Now...you just keep the old disc/file. In the future? Gone in the vapor...

Yes and this is the reason some (too many?) of us still own huge collections of records, CDs, tapes, etc. Music collectors that grew up in the 60's - 70's became very aware of titles suddenly being cut out for various reasons and unattainable for years or sometimes never again. I'll bet many of you have fantasied about walking into a large record store the day "Yesterday And Today" came out and telling a clerk, "I'll take every copy of the the new Beatles album with the meat on the cover you have." Or the same with "Live Yardbirds" or many other titles that got pulled within days of release and became high dollar rarities.

Most people born after that period look at cloud based services/streaming like the local library. "Why would I need to own a copy and store it at my house when I could just check out a copy at the library, read it and return it?" The idea of something suddenly becoming unavailable is not a big concern. (Yes, I know certain books can and have become rare the same way recordings do, but I think you see my point.)

Streaming is convenient but if I really like a song or album, I still want to own a copy either physically or on my drives. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Yes, I totally agree with these observations and think it's a very pertinent and important subject to address. Personally, I have a wonderful collection that I cherish, but I would readily admit that my collection exists for the simple reason that I often buy because I know and fear that such an item may well no longer be available (sometimes in quite a short time as you say).

There's also the rather "materialistic" pleasure of holding a wonderful edition (Think Steven Wilson's wonderful "Hand Cannot Erase" deluxe edition for example) in my hands and knowing that's it's safely there and I can go back to love it (like "my precious") whenever I want. I finally relented and subscribed to Spotify and of course found a wonderful way to discover new bands and albums. I still buy albums to support the artists (so they get more than the pittance they'll ever get through Spotify).

But, at the end of the day, outside of our cruel consumer world, wouldn't it be just so wonderful if there was a national or world database where we could be sure to access everything we wanted and just pay one simple subscription to do so. Furthermore, if we were entitled to download them it could also be an environmental solution for our planet because one short download beats the environmental impact of streaming, let alone the environmental impact of vinyls, deluxe editions and so on... I know: Dream on ! Still, I just felt like expressing that... thanks for the stumulating post.

Furthermore, if we were entitled to download them it could also be an environmental solution for our planet because one short download beats the environmental impact of streaming,

So is quantified somewhere? Why would downloading be more eco-friendly that streaming. Wouldn't it depend on the unknown like how many times the download is played back? I mean if you are going to watch a movie just once, isn't the streaming option just as, if not more so, environmentally friendly as a DL?

Thanks for sharing:

Going back to my previous answer, every song is different. So for instance you know, with Sgt. Pepper – actually, I’m redoing the Atmos of Pepper at the moment – but with that, because it’s psychedelic you can probably have use more space and have certain sounds at the back and all that sort of stuff. :LB:SG

You said you are redoing the Sgt. Pepper Atmos Mix. Why are you doing that? It never got a commercial release at the time, at least not on the physical box set, but…
…Yeah, well, it came out on Apple iTunes. And the way we did that, because it was really early doors for Dolby Atmos, we mixed it in a large room, which then had to be shrunk down. If that makes sense. So it doesn’t quite sound how I want to sound so I’m just redoing it. So we are giving it a theatrical mix… and it should [also] be for near-field mix [a near-field mix is when you take a theatrical Dolby Atmos mix and make it work for a home entertainment setting].

Interesting shot here; wondering if that's something actually on the final recording or just messing around :unsure:

- and how can you "NOT" watch this Geeshhhh...

Paul on upside down Tele& Billy on Guitar!.jpg

Back