Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first impressions of the DTS-HD 5.1 mix are that it’s been approached similarly to Abbey Road, which definitely isn’t a bad thing :)

There are plenty of discrete elements in the rear speakers - strings, backing vocals, keyboards, and even some guitar parts. Billy Preston’s keyboard solo in “Get Back” comes entirely from the left rear speaker, as do the guitar fills in “I Me Mine” and slide guitar in “For You Blue”. The orchestra in “The Long and Winding Road” is almost completely isolated in the rear speakers.

The main guitar parts are positioned halfway between the front and rear stages (which makes them sound much ‘bigger’ than if they were each pegged to one speaker), but the guitar on the left typically leans toward the front and the guitar on the right is pushed out further toward the back. From the sweet spot, it gives the impression that one guitarist is just beside you and the other slightly over your right shoulder. I’m one who tends to prefer extreme front/rear separation, but this is a really cool effect that definitely gives that ‘center of the band’ perspective.

Critiques? Some of the louder passages do seem a bit harsh to me, particularly in the cymbals. I also agree that more could have been done with “Across The Universe”.

Last edited:
I only have one burning question initially. Is Across the Universe still running at the wrong speed, missing the backing vocals, and including the cheezy Spector strings overdub? Following the butchered Spector remix in other words?

Is there fidelity here? That "Let it Be Naked" release made it sound like the multitracks had been beyond salvaging with any fidelity but they went forward and released what they had anyway. The original Spector release was actually higher fidelity - and it's very many steps back from Martin's productions at the time.

Isn't the base mix of Across the Universe essentially in mono, with only the Spector added tracks contributing to stereo IIRC?

If so, that would explain a lot. It sounds like the basic mono track (Lennon's vocal and acoustic guitar) is primarily in the center channel, with the orchestration in 'double-stereo' front and rear.

I did not know this, do I have this correct?
Let It Be was released after Abbey Road, but the Abbey Road sessions where done during the same time as the Let it Be sessions?
It seems some other singles where rehearsed also?

@marpow it's a bit complicated because they were working on dozens and dozens of songs that ended up on Let it Be, Abbey Road, All Things Must Pass, Imagine, etc.
A lot songs were recorded in January '69 or February to August of '69.
The spring/summer stuff was released as Abbey Road in September '69.
The January '69 stuff was held up due to the Let It Be film editing and various quality concerns and was released as Let It Be in May of '70.
For example Oh Darling, Polythene Pam, Something, Maxwell's, She came in through the bathroom window, etc were all around in January '69 but weren't finished until August '69.
Let It Be the album was almost completely recorded in Jan '69, though I Me Mine and Across the Universe overdubs happened way later in April '70.
Abbey Road took much longer, generally spanning February to August '69 recordings: I Want You was the first recorded (Feb 22, '69) and the sessions go until August '69.

I did not know this, do I have this correct?
Let It Be was released after Abbey Road, but the Abbey Road sessions where done during the same time as the Let it Be sessions?
It seems some other singles where rehearsed also?
LIB was indeed released after Abbey Road. But the Abbey Road sessions were done sometime after the the LIB project. George Martin produced Abbey Road. He was not involved in LIB. It was produced by Phil Spector. There are some tracks that were rehearsed during the LIB sessions that showed up on Abbey Road.

@marpow it's a bit complicated because they were working on dozens and dozens of songs that ended up on Let it Be, Abbey Road, All Things Must Pass, Imagine, etc.
A lot songs were recorded in January '69 or February to August of '69.
The spring/summer stuff was released as Abbey Road in September '69.
The January '69 stuff was held up due to the Let It Be film editing and various quality concerns and was released as Let It Be in May of '70.
For example Oh Darling, Polythene Pam, Something, Maxwell's, She came in through the bathroom window, etc were all around in January '69 but weren't finished until August '69.
Let It Be the album was almost completely recorded in Jan '69, though I Me Mine and Across the Universe overdubs happened way later in April '70.
Abbey Road took much longer, generally spanning February to August '69 recordings: I Want You was the first recorded (Feb 22, '69) and the sessions go until August '69.
Oh boy, a little complicated, thank you.

It's totally insane how much they did in such a short span.
Rubber Soul released December of '65. Revolver released August of '66.
Sgt Pepper released in May of '67. Magical Mystery Tour released in November of '67.
They go to India, then start recording in May of '68.
White album released in November of '68. They start recording in January of '69, finish LiB January 30th.
Three weeks later they start recording I Want You and record until August '69. Abbey Road released in September.
:SB

Just finished listening to the 4 supplemental RBCD's and the 5.1 from the box set. I really liked all of it. I did a quick listen of the Atmos but wanted the 5.1 experience first. Love the mix and sound of the 5.1.

Cracked open this astounding box set an hour ago and am listening to LET IN BE in 5.1. And to my ears .... A TOTAL TRIUMPH!

And Markie, you're not alone in luvin' the 5.1 remix. Here's blu~ray.com's review of the box set [they MUCH preferred the 5.1 over the ATMOS remix]:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Beatles-Let-It-Be-Blu-ray/299283/#Review

Mine arrived yesterday from DD DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5.1 and down mixed ATMOS mixes. They were my first hearing for most of the songs. I liked I Me Mine best of the songs I had not heard before.

Somehow most of the individual disc sleeve were damages in packing or shipping. Which is weird because there was no other damage to the rest of the set.

tempImaged4hSNF.png

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday from DD DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5.1 and down mixed ATMOS mixes. They were my first hearing for most of the songs. I liked I Me Mine best of the songs I had not heard before.

Somehow most of the individual disc sleeve were damages in packing or shipping. Which is weird because there was no other damage to the rest of the set.

View attachment 72732
I had the same problem with CD1 - the sleeve looked as though it had been forced into the slot and had ripped the edge (similar to the third one down in your picture). Luckily the other discs had been inserted with a bit more care.

Back