Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do really enjoy the Atmos mix of this album. However, I still feel, as I have felt for decades, that the choir and orchestra overdubs are just awful. Long ago, I burned a CD (when that was a thing) of my own version of Let It Be that I called Get Back. I even made my own CD packaging way back that looks almost exactly like the "Get Back" cover they made for the Glyn Johns mix disc! Anyway, I recreated my old CD as an album in my Apple Music. Obviously, the song versions I chose from other non-Let It be sources are not in Atmos, but I just cannot take the Spector version of the Long And Winding Road. Anyway, if anyone's interested, here's the track listing I chose for my Get Back:
  1. Two Of Us
  2. Dig A Pony
  3. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Anthology version)
  4. Across The Universe (LIB Naked)
  5. I Me Mine (LIB Naked)
  6. Dig It
  7. Let It Be (single version from LIB SDE extras)
  8. Maggie Mae
  9. I’ve Got A Feeling
  10. One After 909
  11. Don’t Let Me Down (single version from LIB SDE extras)
  12. The Long And Winding Road (Anthology version)
  13. For You Blue
  14. Get Back

So.....I got the shipping confirmation e-mail from Deep Discount on the 14th. In my usual OCD fashion, I checked the shipping status on the USPS site daily. (OK, multiple times each day, LOL). They said anticipated delivery date was the 20th. On the 15th it was at a USPS distribution center in Pittsburgh. Since then, nothing. Now the tracking just says "In transit. Arriving late." Not happy! 😭😩

Interesting quote of John about the recording of Across The Universe I found on Beatles Bible. Seems like John really disliked the release!

It was a lousy track of a great song and I was so disappointed by it. It never went out as The Beatles; I gave it to the Wildlife Fund of Great Britain, and then when Phil Spector was brought in to produce Let It Be, he dug it out of the Beatles files and overdubbed it. The guitars are out of tune and I’m singing out of tune ’cause I’m psychologically destroyed and nobody’s supporting me or helping me with it and the song was never done properly.
John Lennon
All We Are Saying, David Sheff
Huh. Always been one of my favorites. The Wildlife version, that is! The Spector mix that runs at the wrong speed (slow to the point of hearing exaggerated tape warble and everything) with the cheesy musak style overdubs and missing all the vocal harmonies is one of the reasons for my hate of his work. Dude was messing around with his juvenile overdubs and didn't notice the meters moving on the vocal harmony tracks apparently.

So.....I got the shipping confirmation e-mail from Deep Discount on the 14th. In my usual OCD fashion, I checked the shipping status on the USPS site daily. (OK, multiple times each day, LOL). They said anticipated delivery date was the 20th. On the 15th it was at a USPS distribution center in Pittsburgh. Since then, nothing. Now the tracking just says "In transit. Arriving late." Not happy! 😭😩
I’ve had the same exact experience so you’re not alone.

Same thing with my set. :sick:

Same thing with my set. :sick:
So I just checked again. My package arrived in Pittsburgh on the 15th and then the tracking sat in limbo until about an hour (i.e., 8 days later) when it showed up to in Springfield, MA (on the other side of the state). This means that, if it proceeds routinely from there, I should receive it on Monday or Tuesday. 🤞

I wonder what’s going on with USPS in Pittsburgh 🙄

So I just checked again. My package arrived in Pittsburgh on the 15th and then the tracking sat in limbo until about an hour (i.e., 8 days later) when it showed up to in Springfield, MA (on the other side of the state). This means that, if it proceeds routinely from there, I should receive it on Monday or Tuesday. 🤞

I wonder what’s going on with USPS in Pittsburgh 🙄

My packages usually go through the Springfield hub before they come down my way as well. Sadly, the status on my tracking # still hasn't changed. 😥

I actually like the Let It Be... Naked version of ATU best.

I haven’t heard the Naked version but I can’t imagine how it could better the Atmos mix with its soaring choral and strings up in the clouds (or is it out in the universe?).

The Atmos mix played in Atmos on my 7.1.4 is so much better than listening on my 5.1 system.

@privateuniverse: A lot of it has to do with lack of people to do the work. Friend of mine that works for the USPS said he had the same kind of experience. With fewer folks to work the mail and drive truck between locations the slow down results. He partially blames it on ‘Covid fear’.

I haven’t heard the Naked version but I can’t imagine how it could better the Atmos mix with its soaring choral and strings up in the clouds (or is it out in the universe?).
It's not the sound quality I care about. It's not having those "soaring" choral and strings that I like. I don't think it fits the song at all.

Maybe they can divert one of those National Guard folks to drive the trucks with our copies of LIB to the next USPS hubs? o_O

@esimms86 and @privateuniverse : a National Guard person, disguised as my regular mail carrier, delivered my LIB box set this afternoon. Hope you get your sets soon.

The Naked version revealed something was very wrong with the tapes. The sound of deteriorated tape and desperation. That remains the case here unfortunately.

It's well past time to admit defeat and deliver some careful needle drops from pristine vinyl copies for all these albums.

The Naked version revealed something was very wrong with the tapes. The sound of deteriorated tape and desperation. That remains the case here unfortunately.

It's well past time to admit defeat and deliver some careful needle drops from pristine vinyl copies for all these albums.

I'm not really hearing the radical difference in sound quality you describe between the original stereo mix and the 2021 remixes. In fact, I actually think the drums & bass sound better on the remix. Naked sounds a bit over NR'd in places, but I wouldn't call it bad-sounding either. Can you point to a specific passage where this tape damage is apparent?

Back