Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what platform are you all able to watch this on???
Disney plus app on my Sony TV with Dolby Atmos audio being fed through my AVR.

Don't expect an immersive mix though.
But that's really secondary, to what is a fascinating insight into how the Beatles gelled in their later years.

I was completely transfixed throughout this excellent film.

Okay, I have seen Part 1. Finally, some of those 50 year old bootleg records I’ve had since the 70s make a lot more sense, because Peter Jackson has put it into context.

There are a lot of great moments here. You can see the classic Beatles songs come into focus as they create the music. The songs could have gone into different directions along the way.

The Beatles here, like all bands that have played together for awhile, had their own short hand telepathy thing going. Only the band members themselves would fully get it, because of their shared experiences. The Beatles usually recorded at night, but they couldn’t do it here, because the film crews worked in the day. So, you can see that the Beatles are tired here (at least in the first week).

Anyway, I want to see the other two parts before I comment further. So far, it did not disappoint. I too was transfixed with the material. According to one of the articles someone posted here, there’s an 18 hour cut of this stuff.

Is there any plan to make this series available elsewehere. LIke....for free?

Not in the foreseeable future. Streaming services jealously guard their material. I only paid $1.99 for a month on sale. But it’s $7.99 for just one month. Cheaper than going to the movies and buying a ticket.

As the British say “Rubbish, Bloody Rubbish!!”

Just kidding….simply wonderful look into what was going on during the 1st week …. Peter Jackson, IMHO, should get an Academy Award just for sifting through all this material and MAKING SENSE out of all this footage…and this is just the 1st episode…

Can’t wait til the 2nd episode and week tonight or tomorrow….then hopefully BP shows up just in time to save the project

Highly recommend viewing even if you have to subscribe to Disney+ for a month….I get it FREE with my VERIZON subscription❤️❤️❤️

I just watched it. I have to admit it was very cool for me to watch, but my wife (who is my age and grew up with the Beatles as I did ) thought it was pretty slow in spots. I would have to say that Part 1 is really for the real fan, although there are spots that are universally wonderful. We see Paul actually create the song "Get Back" from just playing around on the guitar, discover the chords to "Let it Be" while fiddling on the piano as the group does other things, and a group performance of "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" with John on piano, and it's the complete song!

I am looking forward to the next two chapters. No matter what you feel about the Beatles, I would say it is worth getting the trial subscription to watch this thing,. It's great, and there are no breaks or commercials, so what are you waiting for?

I just watched it. I have to admit it was very cool for me to watch, but my wife (who is my age and grew up with the Beatles as I did ) thought it was pretty slow in spots. I would have to say that Part 1 is really for the real fan, although there are spots that are universally wonderful. We see Paul actually create the song "Get Back" from just playing around on the guitar, discover the chords to "Let it Be" while fiddling on the piano as the group does other things, and a group performance of "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" with John on piano, and it's the complete song!

I am looking forward to the next two chapters. No matter what you feel about the Beatles, I would say it is worth getting the trial subscription to watch this thing,. It's great, and there are no breaks or commercials, so what are you waiting for?

I haven't seen it myself but it seems your wife would be in agreement with Alexis Petridis of The Guardian:

The Beatles: Get Back review – eight hours of TV so aimless it threatens your sanity

"But the moments of inspiration and interest are marooned amid acres of desultory chit-chat (“aimless rambling”, as Lennon rightly puts it) and repetition. There is a point, about five hours in, when the prospect of hearing another ramshackle version of Don’t Let Me Down becomes an active threat to the viewer’s sanity. That is doubtless what recording an album is like, but for an onlooker it is – to use the language of 1969 – a real drag. Much opprobrium has been cast at Yoko Ono for her constant presence at Beatles’ recording sessions, but, after this, you marvel at her fortitude for sitting through them."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...urs-of-tv-so-aimless-it-threatens-your-sanity

Episode 2 up now.

It must be said right from the start that there is very little chance that I’d be capable of being objective given the subject matter. One wonders how this came to be unless it really was another project initiated by Paul? Generally it seems to hold little interest for John and George and there’s little enthusiasm on display by either. Ringo seems as amiable as ever.

It starts off pretty much as expected for a doco. Condensing the Beatles story up until this point in time into about fifteen minutes. Glad they spot check “In Spite of All the Danger” here. A very high compression ratio indeed! After this it’s less of a documentary, in my view, than an edited document of the story along the lines Mr Still's, “Just roll tape”

They tend to think that the reason they are unfocused and less disciplined is that “Mr Epstein” is no longer around. Paul is truly the bossy bastard as the others could hardly be bothered. I’d always understood that the interchange between Paul and George, “I will play what and how you want, or I will not play at all if that is what you want” was George bending to Paul’s will. Seeing it with video of the two makes it seem more like George is more passive aggressive in his approach when you see Paul’s response

For me the four of them are all great and if you’ve ever suffered band discussions and politics, I’m glad to see that the Beatles did it first. Even here, they do it with more respect than I’ve ever encountered and haven’t forgotten they are friends. I love Paul’s ballads and amongst other tunes, you see them develop here. There’s also a few bits and pieces from side two of Abbey Road first appearing as well. An embryonic Jealous Guy (Child of Nature) is nice and some fooling around with Across the Universe are nice.

But George really shines here. Arrives one morning to demo I Me Mine and another For You Blue that he’d written the previous night. But their attempts at All Things Must Pass and Isn’t It a Pity are truly my favourites.

Looking Forward to episode 2

A total joy to see the gang create music and have fun. Peter Jackson did an amazing job restoring the film, it really looks like top notch cinema footage. Aside from the captivating inside look we get, there are some wild unexpected moments, like when they consider doing the performance at an amphitheater in Tripoli and bringing in the crowd on a ship 😮. Sort of a precursor to Pink Floyd Pompeii! And seeing Mal Evan’s ‘play’ the anvil on Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is pretty cool. Reading up on the production of the film on Wiki is interesting. Seems that getting filmed full time was pretty rough:
The cold and austere conditions at Twickenham, along with nearly constant filming and sessions starting much earlier than the Beatles' preferred schedule, constrained creativity and exacerbated tensions within the group. The sessions were later described by Harrison as "the low of all-time" and by Lennon as "hell ... the most miserable sessions on earth".

16379177173737510280190741594477.jpg

Episode 2 Of the Fab Four living the life...

Is this really how it looks? The Digital Noise Reduction applied to the image is absolutely awful. His face looks waxy, there’s no details in the hair, it’s completely unnatural, devoid of any life.
That's the Samsung mobile phone camera giving the flavour of the content....not the finished product...
I'm thoroughly enjoying this mammoth look at the Beatles and all that goes with this iconic band.

Finished Part 1. I loved it but, IMO, it is something only serious Beatles fans will enjoy. Those who aren't will find it tedious at best. For fans it is interesting just to see them interact amongst themselves and go through the process of working through songs and just effing around in the studio. It was just good to see so much of them. I have never seen the original LIB movie but I can see how the power of editing could shape the overall narrative and vibe that the viewer comes away with (perhaps something to keep in mind when watching the evening news)
Unlike the Anthology documentary which I may watch every 5 or 6 years, I am not sure how much I will want to re-watch this documentary. But I will still pick it up when it eventually is released in physical form. As for the quality, I doubt this archival footage has (or will) ever look or sound better.
Really cool.

I need to re-watch episode 2 probably sometime over the weekend cause I got distracted many times this morning, and I got 2 NHL games to watch tonight….Seattle here in Tampa and after Da Leafs play out in California
It sucks to have something compete with sporting events, doesn't it?

Watched Part #2. I have to admit parts of it dragged a bit, but it was a bit more accessible than Part 1, but still, I would have to say for Beatle fans only. In my mind I was making director cuts, thinking of what parts from Part 1 to put with parts of Part 2 to make a better presentation for non-Beatles freaks.

Interesting observations - I did not know how much George Martin was involved with this project. I always figured they pushed him out, but this was before Spector and the aborted Glyns Johns mix, so it makes sense now. Billy Preston is awesome in this, and he really brightens up not only the room, but the video you are watching. It's cool to hear the Beatles talk about paying him and making him a 5th Beatle.

I think Part 3 will be the best part, as it will include the rooftop concert.

Back