Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for anyone who has watched Part 3.
When they play on the rooftop, behind Ringo, leaning against the walkway railing, is a black and red, looks like 2' X 2' square board. Looks like an image of a bullet going thru glass. At the end of concert someone picks it up, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. It also looked like modern graphics, not like 1969 graphics. I thought maybe it was a box for a bass drum head?
Someone should know, but I just can't figure it out.

It was a painting. Turns out a roadie stuck it up there in hopes of selling it later.

Musician Tom Newman was able to watch the gig after helping to carry the equipment to the rooftop and hiding - he even used the opportunity to sell a painting: “I helped Adrian up with all this equipment and Ringo’s drum kit was set up there, so I put this painting that I wanted to see if I could sell, this kind of space-age thing, behind Ringo’s drum kit and I just hid on the roof ‘cause I thought I’d get chucked out.

Now I'm thinking George took a break from the boys, just a few days, to have time alone and nail down his parts.

SWIPPER WIPER on the Tom & Monkeys Humpin' (what Hams da lads were) - :p
Or maybe it was all staged to "create drama". I doubt that was the case but, if it were, that would make this the first reality television show. :LOL:

Just finished the second part of the Get Back show; and there are so many moments that are like Beatles insider speak that I have no clue as to what they're talking about. When they're discussing what to do for a live show; Paul says something like this (I believe) to John:

when this is all done, you'll be in a black bag at the Royal Albert Hall, you know...

Maybe the real hard core Beatles fans here have some kind of clue as to what that means? But, this is filled with all kinds of insider speak. 🤷‍♂️

Just finished the second part of the Get Back show; and there are so many moments that are like Beatles insider speak that I have no clue as to what they're talking about. When they're discussing what to do for a live show; Paul says something like this (I believe) to John:

when this is all done, you'll be in a black bag at the Royal Albert Hall, you know...

Maybe the real hard core Beatles fans here have some kind of clue as to what that means? But, this is filled with all kinds of insider speak. 🤷‍♂️
Screenshot_20211206-191048_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think it refers to this

View attachment 74159
I think it refers to this

The lyrics to Give Peace a Chance ...

Everybody's talking 'bout
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m

and The Ballad of John and Yoko also refer to it.

Made a lightning trip to Vienna
Eating chocolate cake in a bag
Newspapers said, "She's gone to his head
They look just like two gurus in drag"

Or maybe it was all staged to "create drama". I doubt that was the case but, if it were, that would make this the first reality television show. :LOL:
My 2 cents ---
I also thought this could have been staged, I guess we're all looking at it through today's reality TV lens. But then they had the secret recording of John and Paul from the flower pot. It seemed they were being fairly critical of each other, and spoke about their impact on the relationship with Paul. That conversation seemed genuine (at least at first listen), and made me think that it couldn't have been staged. Also, some of the reactions and looks made by George during rehearsals looked like he was not enjoying himself, and I personally felt that I would have also been put off by Paul's controlling every move he made during some of the practice sessions.

My 2 cents ---
I also thought this could have been staged, I guess we're all looking at it through today's reality TV lens. But then they had the secret recording of John and Paul from the flower pot. It seemed they were being fairly critical of each other, and spoke about their impact on the relationship with Paul. That conversation seemed genuine (at least at first listen), and made me think that it couldn't have been staged. Also, some of the reactions and looks made by George during rehearsals looked like he was not enjoying himself, and I personally felt that I would have also been put off by Paul's controlling every move he made during some of the practice sessions.
It seemed genuine to me also. I just feel that since George mentioned he wasn't too good at improvising on the spot and it all being filmed put him in a bad light compared to how Paul & John were just rolling along. Seemed as though George was just struggling with the process, but you'd think having spent all those years writing songs together, that they would have had the process down by then. That's why it makes me think the filming of it played a huge part of all that.

My 2 cents ---
Definitely not staged. I was just joking. It's obvious George wasn't happy with his inability to get his songs worked on and included. And, based on "All Things Must Pass", he obviously had a back-log of songs in his pocket. He also seemed to be the least interested with the whole dog and pony show that the Let It Be sessions were.

but you'd think having spent all those years writing songs together, that they would have had the process down by then. That's why it makes me think the filming of it played a huge part of all that.
Agree +100. The filming of it made them extremely self conscious, and only Paul, really, could shine in that exposure. The rest of them couldn't wait for the cameras to be turned off. And all this was done during bankers hours; too much change too quickly. And even after all that, they succeeded in getting through it with a damn good album.

Definitely not staged. I was just joking. It's obvious George wasn't happy with his inability to get his songs worked on and included. And, based on "All Things Must Pass", he obviously had a back-log of songs in his pocket. He also seemed to be the least interested with the whole dog and pony show that the Let It Be sessions were.

If George hadn't walked away for awhile, he wouldn't have run into Billy Preston. Preston was the catalyst for getting the lads to pull things together. I'm not saying that they wouldn't have done so without him, but they needed the new blood. Others had mentioned this earlier, but I was surprised how blatantly obvious it was.

And if you are a dog-loving maniac like me, try catching the Disney+ film Togo before your subscription runs out.
I’m finishing Togo right now based upon your recommendation. Very good and not too much of a tear jerker. “Hachi”, now that’s a different story. I couldn’t speak for thirty minutes when that was over.

And if you are a dog-loving maniac like me, try catching the Disney+ film Togo before your subscription runs out.
I, too, am I "dog-loving maniac". I'm very grateful to you for bringing this to our attention. I'm sure I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I watched Togo last night. I absolutely loved the film and I'm not ashamed to say I was a bit of a mess by the end.

My dog, Gracie, kept walking up to the center channel speaker and would turn her head from side to side.

My free six month subscription to Disney+ ends in two weeks, so I would've missed it had you not mentioned it here. Thanks again. (y)

In the Get Back documentary, did anyone notice that The Beatles all referred to Brian Epstein as "Mr. Epstein." I thought that was interesting given that Lennon was only six years younger than Epstein. Perhaps they used the term "Mr." because they knew that they were being filmed. Or maybe it's because George said, "And what brings Mr. Epstein here?" when Epstein went to speak to them in the dressing room of The Cavern Club. So maybe that's just what they called him. It's just yet another nteresting bit of Beatles trivia.

It was really interesting to learn that three of the rooftop performances were the tracks used on the album release: "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909" and "Dig a Pony". After seemingly endless attempts in the studio it's kind of amazing that the great performances came while playing it live! I'm trying to think of other studio albums where the basic tracks came from a live performance - it must be a pretty rare occurrence - and I can think of King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black". Anyone else know of any?

It was really interesting to learn that three of the rooftop performances were the tracks used on the album release: "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909" and "Dig a Pony". After seemingly endless attempts in the studio it's kind of amazing that the great performances came while playing it live! I'm trying to think of other studio albums where the basic tracks came from a live performance - it must be a pretty rare occurrence - and I can think of King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black". Anyone else know of any?
Back in the Mid-70’s to early 80’s I think some bands did what they called DDM or something like that meaning that they recorded direct in studio to lacquer or whatever the process was called…can’t remember the process name or bands that did it but I know at least a few Canadian bands did.

hope that helps

Back