Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take the Spectorized muzak version in 5.1. But I hope they do some auto-tuning on The Long and Winding Road. There are a bunch of songs I love on this this album: Two Of Us, I Dig A Pony, I Me Mine (even Spectorized), Let It Be (ditto), I've Got A Feeling, The One After 909, For You Blue and Get Back. Most of these consist of the essentially un-Spectorized tracks. They sound raw like the very early Beatles albums; and that's what I love about them. And I like the chatter between the songs too.

I'll take the Spectorized muzak version in 5.1. But I hope they do some auto-tuning on The Long and Winding Road. There are a bunch of songs I love on this this album: Two Of Us, I Dig A Pony, I Me Mine (even Spectorized), Let It Be (ditto), I've Got A Feeling, The One After 909, For You Blue and Get Back. Most of these consist of the essentially un-Spectorized tracks. They sound raw like the very early Beatles albums; and that's what I love about them. And I like the chatter between the songs too.
I'd have the Spectorised in 5.1 as well with the Spector stuff in the rears, Beatles in the fronts, the wall of sound in stereo is a no thanks, never got on with it!

I'm just grateful George Martin mixed Across The Universe! Probably my favorite Beatles tune ever. This one got the worst of it with Spector too! Tape running very obviously at the wrong speed (slow). The playback deck must have been a mess that day too with the wow and flutter artifacts I hear in the Spector mix. He apparently didn't see the meters moving on the backing vocal tracks as they are completely absent from his mix. Then the muzak additions... Really ran the poor song through the meatgrinder! Some of the other non-single tracks are fortunately in much better shape.

Engineers will comment that it's the song more than the recording that makes a song. A great song poorly recorded will be more compelling than well recorded garbage. This is a genuine example of an over the top great song that was genuinely ruined by a bad mix.

I was a senior in High School, and one of my close friends told me one day that he was up at the mall in Enfield, CT (about 30 miles north of me) and that a record store in there had "the new Beatles album". WHAT? A new Beatles album?? I was a total Beatles guy, so after school that day I got my mothers car and drove up to Enfield and sure enough, there prominently displayed was a Beatles album - in a white single jacket with a blue stamped name on it saying "KUM BACK". Wow!

kumback.jpg

Got it, took it home, and when I opened it up, the label was not an Apple but a completely blank pinkish thing. Very strange. I eagerly put it on and became mesmerized. There were tune's like "Long and Winding Road", "Teddy Boy", "Because You're Sweet and Lovely", "I've Got a Feeling", etc.

I brought this thing from friends house to friends house and they were all amazed. Many borrowed it. Back in early 1970, folks didn't have cassette recorders yet so we borrowed each others albums to listen to them.

Anyway, what it turned out I bought was a bootleg of the original version of the "Get Back" album in the rough, later to be released as "Let it Be". The versions of the songs on this bootleg were far different than the released "Let it Be". They were also fairly different than the official "Let it Be Naked" released decades later. For example, the version of Long and Winding Road has no choir, it has a spoken second bridge "Many times I've been alone", it's really bare bones, almost a rehearsal. It's very good this way.

I still have that album, which is also called the Glyn Johns version, I believe. This is the "Let it Be" that I started out with. It would be very cool if the anniversary BluRay had this included as well, along with a spectacular 5.1 version of the official release, of course!

:)

Wasn't that boot lp compiled from the "Nagra reels"? The copies someone made illicitly on mini disc some years ago share online. I forget how many CDs. Along with that is a compilation recreating that boot. Or one of them... I think there were a few different versions of that bootleg?

FYI - Anyone interested in hearing the version of "The Long and Winding Road" from my Kum Back album, shoot me a PM!
I actually cleaned it up and speed corrected it a year or so ago, that tune only. It's still a boot, so it's not really pristine.

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Wasn't that boot lp compiled from the "Nagra reels"? The copies someone made illicitly on mini disc some years ago share online. I forget how many CDs. Along with that is a compilation recreating that boot. Or one of them... I think there were a few different versions of that bootleg?
Kum Back and Get Back were Glyn John's mix from the 8 track tape. Two versions were done but neither selected. The Nagra tapes were mono. Two were going at the same time early in the sessions and then they traded off to capture everything in case something came out good.
The number of CD's on that boot was around 90-100. Can't recall if it was a Purple Chick or Yellow Dog release. I would have to dig mine up.

Purple Chick released an 83 CD version of the Nagra Reels. It was called A/B Road session tapes.

Also all the video was included in a double DVD from Perfect Picture
Perfect Picture DVD Info

I gotta go back and re-watch these, I do remember them being quite good.

Nah. Just wait for the BD release. I don’t know what it’s like in the US, but here in AU the disc will cost less than two movie tickets (and you get to watch it as many times as you want)

Price is the least of my worries. Just to see something so grand on a massive screen. That's what I want.

Back