HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
revoted from a 5 to an 8....I guess you have to see the show to appreciate the DVD-A...at least for me....
My wife and I saw the show in 2007 and it was pretty dazzling. Speakers at each seat made it truly over the moon. The five one mix at home is also big fun.

Yesterday, because of the thread about some copies of this release having issues, I dug through some moving boxes until I found mine. I crossed my fingers and my Oppo 203 played fine.

I’ll bury my thoughts after this, though. This morning Cirque Du Soleil dropped this 50 minute interview with Giles Martin about making this album in my podcast feed. (Note: the link can play in browser but you should find it in any podcast player)

Often, creativity comes in the form of adaptation. Reinterpreting a classic can re-frame stories and songs in creative ways for a whole new audience. Meet award-winning music producer and Beatles audio expert Giles Martin – son of legendary music producer George Martin. Giles talks about working closely with his father to adapt the revered Beatles canon and optimizing the sound for Cirque du Soleil’s Beatles-inspired show, LOVE, featuring the music of The Beatles through time.

Yesterday, realizing I haven’t spun it since maybe the second SDE release, I sat back to spin the whole thing. I turned off the screen to just take in all the bits and pieces. It’s every bit the ride I remembered.

Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You remains the only adventurous track that completely works for me as a song. I still love the Hey Jude with its layers peeled back (though I wish it were longer and not crossfaded. Mr Kite’s apocalyptic swirl is great to my ears and throughout there are great interludes. I enjoyed the whole thing sonically and as its own magical mystery tour of sorts. And of course the full length songs are great mixes.

It got me hungry enough to do a few things. I put on Abbey Road just to compare some of those tracks in 5.1 (no Atmos mixes until I hopefully install .4 this month). I prefer the Abbey Road mixes but it’s the only SDE I find fully satisfying. And it’s close. We’re lucky. I wanted to compare Pepper but we all know about the disc… maybe Apple Music today.

But it also had me hunger for other adventurous mixes. I happened to find Yoshimi in that same moving box. One thing it and Love have in common is that in stereo, neither really interests me. Love’s 5.1 unpacks the chaos wonderfully and Yoshimi’s songs always feel flat to me… until that magic 5.1 takes all its ingredients and tosses them in the air like so much confetti.

Anyhow, that’s my TEDTalk and this may be a Wendy’s.

Back