Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos and streaming are the in thing so the marketing types take notice, the bean counters decide more money can be made by the record company (not necessarily the artist) with streaming. The artists who own the publishing rights to the music make money either way. If mono on wax cylinders becomes trendy......... they'll appear in a box set! :LOL:

Streaming is also not what we could call environmentally friendly, the data centre/server farms take huge amounts of power (I read somewhere world-wide more than some countries, I saw a figure of 200TerraW per year, & are around a 1MW per square metre), and probably more than manufacturing a disc production run and distributing it. I wonder if anyone has done the calculations? If it is much lower, the greener disc option should be pursued!

Got it, so that’s 11,000 people out of the the 200 million music consumers in the US. .0055 %
And then remove the inactive members. So we're talking about those who aren't buying the set but would actually buy the expensive set even if it included the atmos mix. My guess is you're maybe talking about maybe a few thousand. I mean there are only 36 pages in this thread - and how many unique contributors are there? A hundred?

Of course there are also folks are aren't members of QQ would buy it, but that's probably not a big number either. Again, I's say thousands, not 10s of thousands.

Your calculation presumes that everyone who is interested in multichannel music, such as The Beatles "Revolver" on Blu-ray is a member of QQ. :)
But your calculation doesn't show how many people are interested in physical formats. Maybe 90% are only interested in streaming.
Not a good business for the box.

I’m part of the group that accepts the convenience of streaming, but is also unwilling to depend on it. We’ve seen our movies come and go on the various streaming services as well as having music come and go. If Imhave a copy of a performance on site, I only need to have my equioment working. If I get it from the Internet, then Imalso need someome else’s equipment to be working, as well as their corporate policies remaining stable.

Yep, too many variables.

I’m part of the group that accepts the convenience of streaming, but is also unwilling to depend on it. We’ve seen our movies come and go on the various streaming services as well as having music come and go. If Imhave a copy of a performance on site, I only need to have my equioment working. If I get it from the Internet, then Imalso need someome else’s equipment to be working, as well as their corporate policies remaining stable.

Yep, too many variables.
Agreed, but by and large, "choice" is quickly disappearing.

I have started to notice a lot of unboxing videos posted to youhootooob,, that make me think a lot of "content creators" are getting advanced copies. Of Revolver.

Although one from Parlogram was for a Revolver book by Klaus Voorman.

I guess the kewl kids get stuff early. :rolleyes: :cool:

I agree with the argument that "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality. If you are going to go after the market that is willing to spend over $100 for a box set (like most of us,) they are already targeting an audience who has always for the most part wanted the physical media, because that's what we grew up with, looking at the gateway cover, jacket, liner notes, lyrics, artwork, etc. while the music played. It was for me a much more immersive experience than what most listeners do or have access to today.

I too have gone to TB's worth of music on my drives, phone, whole house stereo, etc. and play the physical media usually only once to rip it to my drives. What they are forgetting is that the target audience they are marketing with a $120+ dollar box set are NOT the casual listener who still likes to listen to the Beatles. They are already doing that on streaming services, like Apple music or a hundred others. The people who for the most part spend sometimes hundreds of dollars on box sets, like us, are the people who like the old music but want more than just the same old songs. They (we) want it in new, modern formats, in the best quality possible because we spend thousands still on modern updated equipment. The average listener is not going to spend that money to just casually listen to a "newer" stereo mix. Even the fancy "sh.." in the box, like stories, pics, etc. are not enough of a draw to drop a bill on a box. We are who they are targeting with these box sets and I am sure they realize that the few tens of thousands box sets sold, most people are going to be very disappointed that they don't even give us the opportunity to pay for a Atmos or otherwise Surround mix disc or download, that they have already made. Even if it made the price $20 higher on the box set to include a Blu-Ray or even access to download of the surround version of the album, everyone would be willing to drop the extra few bucks. They have definitely missed the mark I feel, and a big missed opportunity, and may have pissed off a small but HUGE spending power segment of the market. Money makes the world go round!!!

Sadly, this issue probably has less to do with deciding not to include the blu-ray in Revolver for some reason or other and more to do with standard contractual requirements that are becoming the norm for Atmos streaming.

I have started to notice a lot of unboxing videos posted to youhootooob,, that make me think a lot of "content creators" are getting advanced copies. Of Revolver.

Although one from Parlogram was for a Revolver book by Klaus Voorman.

I guess the kewl kids get stuff early. :rolleyes: :cool:
It's been leaked. Easy to find on the innerwebs. I got it last night.

Atmos and streaming are the in thing so the marketing types take notice, the bean counters decide more money can be made by the record company (not necessarily the artist) with streaming. The artists who own the publishing rights to the music make money either way. If mono on wax cylinders becomes trendy......... they'll appear in a box set! :LOL:

Streaming is also not what we could call environmentally friendly, the data centre/server farms take huge amounts of power (I read somewhere world-wide more than some countries, I saw a figure of 200TerraW per year, & are around a 1MW per square metre), and probably more than manufacturing a disc production run and distributing it. I wonder if anyone has done the calculations? If it is much lower, the greener disc option should be pursued!
Boy, someone's done their homework, Dunc!

And they should refer to it as DOWNstreaming ... as it IS LOSSY!

IMO, a landmark album like REVOLVER fully deserves a 48/24 Dolby ATMOS [with 5.1 option] BD~A Release. PERIOD!

Last edited:
Your calculation presumes that everyone who is interested in multichannel music, such as The Beatles "Revolver" on Blu-ray is a member of QQ. :)
I didn’t intend it as the definitive description of the entire population of surround physical media market.

That said, you don’t have to get into calculus to know that the demand is small and shrinking.

If there was a sizable market of buyers, the companies would provide the product to sell. Capitalism 101.

simultaneously, the streaming platforms look to be offering a better opportunity for profit if the artists and record companies agree surround will be exclusive to streaming.

Back