Beatles Sgt. Pepper in Dolby Atmos available to stream

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to the punch--er, the porter--@beerking. So it's Atmos for Headphones, not full-on Atmos? Anyone here with Amazon HD who can confirm?
I have signed up for the free trial. I have a Marantz SR 8012 which uses HEOS for Internet and streaming services. When I search for The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band using Amazon as the streaming service inside of the HEOS app on my iPad, I can not find the album listed with the “3D” badge, only the “Ultra HD“ badge. I can stream the album as 96 kHz/24 bit Flac but it is in Stereo.

If I just open the Amazon Music app on my iPad, I can search for and find The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album listed with both the Ultra HD and the 3D badges but I can only use AirPlay to send it to my receiver and it will only play back at 24 bit 48kHz stereo.

I don’t recall seeing the entire album listed with the 3D badge when I searched for the album when I first started testing for streaming Amazon music in Atmos earlier so it may be a new edition.

I am new to this Denon/Marantz HEOS setup so I may well be doing something wrong....

I still have hopes that I’ll be able to stream Amazon Atmos music to my receiver someday soon...

I have signed up for the free trial. I have a Marantz SR 8012 which uses HEOS for Internet and streaming services. When I search for The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band using Amazon as the streaming service inside of the HEOS app on my iPad, I can not find the album listed with the “3D” badge, only the “Ultra HD“ badge. I can stream the album as 96 kHz/24 bit Flac but it is in Stereo.

If I just open the Amazon Music app on my iPad, I can search for and find The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album listed with both the Ultra HD and the 3D badges but I can only use AirPlay to send it to my receiver and it will only play back at 24 bit 48kHz stereo.

I don’t recall seeing the entire album listed with the 3D badge when I searched for the album when I first started testing for streaming Amazon music in Atmos earlier so it may be a new edition.

I am new to this Denon/Marantz HEOS setup so I may well be doing something wrong....

I still have hopes that I’ll be able to stream Amazon Atmos music to my receiver someday soon...

Thanks, @Hamilton59. Your experience is not encouraging, and it echoes (pun intended) reports from AVS Forums and elsewhere. I'll be glad to be corrected and/or get updated information, but it seems that what Dolby and Amazon are doing here is hawking a sort of "virtualized" Atmos meant primarily for the Amazon Echo Studio speaker (and secondarily for headphones). It really doesn't help that they're using the "Atmos" name both for this and for true multichannel Atmos. Or that they're effectively preventing people with multichannel rigs (as opposed to an Echo speaker) from enjoying this music.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-...olby-atmos-music-arrives-amazon-music-hd.html
The thread started here on QQ back in September--when Dolby and Amazon were initially rolling out the publicity for the Atmos/Echo partnership--hasn't had any new posts since Thanksgiving:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/amazon-echo-studio.27135/

Last edited:
For anyone who is able to stream this, here is something to check. When I heard the Atmos mix in a movie theater back when it was first released, the transition between "Good Morning Good Morning" and "Sgt. Pepper's Reprise "was really weird. The menagerie of animals completely faded out before the chicken came in. And the intro to the "Reprise" matched the mono mix and did not have the edit found in both the stereo and 5.1 mixes. Or at least, that's what my memory is telling me I heard.

If there is the capability to stream in Atmos, then count me in.
I personally do not believe there is and neither will it be available for the foreseeable future.
What is encouraging is, they may have Atmos tracks, in the genuine sense, already mixed...maybe that's what Capitol Records have been up to with a view to this being the new market....hummm?

Need someone in the industry to shed a light or two methinks.

Last edited:
If there is the capability to stream in Atmos, then count me in.
I personally do not believe there is and neither will it be available for the foreseeable future.
What is encouraging is, they may have Atmos tracks, in the genuine sense, already mixed...maybe that's what Capitol Records have been up to with a view to this being the new market....hummm?

Need someone in the industry to shed a light or two methinks.

We were trying to answer a similar question over on that other thread a couple of weeks ago, right, @beerking?

What my small brain still can’t work out--and this is indeed why I hope someone in the industry heeds your call to step in and explain--is whether, when something is “mixed for Atmos,” there are different mixes for different "deliverables"(as Dolby calls them)--headphones, streaming, soundbars, Amazon Echo speakers--or rather a single mix that's simply rendered differently by all the different outputs. I thought it was the latter, but the case of Henry Brant's The Ice Field on SFS Media, mixed in Atmos but (so far) only released in a binaural version, confuses the issue. Or maybe it's a distinction without a difference?

According to Dolby's "Renderer Guide" (for professionals), you can set a separate collection of metadata for "Binaural Render Mode" which will take the master bed and object-placement metadata and render them over headphones binaurally. This Binaural Render Mode is different from "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" (I think), and it's done primarily with studio monitoring and VR applications in mind--although apparently it's also being used for the retail audio market, as it seems to be the binaural "render" of The Ice Field that's for sale right now.

Now, if I'm understanding it correctly, that binaural render is encoded as Dolby AC-4 "immersive stereo" for playback purposes. So...is AC-4 also what the Amazon Echo is streaming? Or is there some sort of secret proprietary render that Dolby has concocted for Amazon which gives Amazon bragging rights to exclusive "Atmos" content, at least for a limited period of time?

Help me, Mr. Wizard!

Last edited:
Okay...I knew there was film streaming in Atmos just not read any feedback on it's effect. It's more the music streamed in Atmos that interests and concerns me. If the powers that be are really able to stream Atmos music that can be played via a 7.1.4 system then that will be a game changer. But thanks for the links. :)
Sound is sound.

Back