Quantcast

HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The four in-ceiling Atmos speakers are 12 inch diameter, the R-L surrounds are def tech dual bipolar speakers with dual 6 inch speakers per side 4 speakers per speaker, and the rear surround speakers are Martin Logan. These are not full range but definitely not small. The L C R main speakers are Martin Logan Vantages with Martin Logan Stage center channel - with 2 SVS ultra 16 sb subwoofers. The reason i didn’t mention the 5.1 mix is because I only have listened to the Atmos mix.

Bipolar surrounds may dilute the impact of surround music mixes that have instruments panned to the surrounds.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I am unable to listen to the Atmos mix in Atmos because I do not have an Atmos set-up. However, I did rip the Dolby True HD 7.1 stream into WAV using Audacity. (The Oppo UDP-205 won't play 7.1 FLAC, but will play 7.1 WAV.) The reference track is Here Comes The Sun.

The resulting downmix is not as impressive...not as discrete and with muted elements...as the 5.1 DTS MA stream when played on my system. Also, placement of certain elements is different than in the 5.1 DTS MA. I do not understand why this has happened because when I play the Dolby Atmos stream directly from the Bluray, the resulting 5.1 downmix through the Oppo sounds essentially the same as the 5.1 DTS MA stream. I prefer the Atmos downmix because the True HD layer sounds just a wee bit smoother than the DTS MA...to my ears anyway.

[Edit: I'm suspecting that the Oppo is not "seeing" all 7.1 channels from the rip and giving me the rears in the surrounds and ignoring the surround channels altogether.]

Last edited:

davidjpoole

Just listened to the Atmos mix of Abbey Road for the first time this evening. Most of what I've heard in Atmos is on Tidal, Kraftwerk, REM, Lennon, Yello, a few demo tracks, movies. I'd been questioning whether adding Atmos had been worth it. Any doubt was addressed this evening. This is my favorite of the surround Beatles albums, and my reference for Atmos music. It was like hearing Abbey Road for the first time, and I thought myself familiar with the material. I had to check they hadn't added out-takes—that's how fresh it sounded. After a few years on this forum, this'll be my first vote, and clearly its a 10.