HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
The four in-ceiling Atmos speakers are 12 inch diameter, the R-L surrounds are def tech dual bipolar speakers with dual 6 inch speakers per side 4 speakers per speaker, and the rear surround speakers are Martin Logan. These are not full range but definitely not small. The L C R main speakers are Martin Logan Vantages with Martin Logan Stage center channel - with 2 SVS ultra 16 sb subwoofers. The reason i didn’t mention the 5.1 mix is because I only have listened to the Atmos mix.

Bipolar surrounds may dilute the impact of surround music mixes that have instruments panned to the surrounds.

I am unable to listen to the Atmos mix in Atmos because I do not have an Atmos set-up. However, I did rip the Dolby True HD 7.1 stream into WAV using Audacity. (The Oppo UDP-205 won't play 7.1 FLAC, but will play 7.1 WAV.) The reference track is Here Comes The Sun.

The resulting downmix is not as impressive...not as discrete and with muted elements...as the 5.1 DTS MA stream when played on my system. Also, placement of certain elements is different than in the 5.1 DTS MA. I do not understand why this has happened because when I play the Dolby Atmos stream directly from the Bluray, the resulting 5.1 downmix through the Oppo sounds essentially the same as the 5.1 DTS MA stream. I prefer the Atmos downmix because the True HD layer sounds just a wee bit smoother than the DTS MA...to my ears anyway.

[Edit: I'm suspecting that the Oppo is not "seeing" all 7.1 channels from the rip and giving me the rears in the surrounds and ignoring the surround channels altogether.]

Last edited:
Just listened to the Atmos mix of Abbey Road for the first time this evening. Most of what I've heard in Atmos is on Tidal, Kraftwerk, REM, Lennon, Yello, a few demo tracks, movies. I'd been questioning whether adding Atmos had been worth it. Any doubt was addressed this evening. This is my favorite of the surround Beatles albums, and my reference for Atmos music. It was like hearing Abbey Road for the first time, and I thought myself familiar with the material. I had to check they hadn't added out-takes—that's how fresh it sounded. After a few years on this forum, this'll be my first vote, and clearly its a 10.

As I said in another thread, I just listened to this in Atmos for the first time. Holy s#$t! At times it is quite a spectacle: Come Together, I Want You (She's So Heavy), The End and many other moments of many tracks. I went back to the 5.1 and even enhanced it with Auro 3D. While excellent in 5.1, it is nowhere near as grandiose as the Atmos version.

As I said in another thread, I just listened to this in Atmos for the first time. Holy s#$t! At times it is quite a spectacle: Come Together, I Want You (She's So Heavy), The End and many other moments of many tracks. I went back to the 5.1 and even enhanced it with Auro 3D. While excellent in 5.1, it is nowhere near as grandiose as the Atmos version.

Yes! Abbey Road was when I first discovered how good Atmos can be through 5.1. I felt like the only one saying it at the time, so I'm very glad to now read your comment. :)

So both of you are saying playing the atmos stream down mixed to 5.1 sounds better than the regular 5.1 created mix?

Didn't seem to work out for Gosts Head Soup...

So both of you are saying playing the atmos stream down mixed to 5.1 sounds better than the regular 5.1 created mix?

Didn't seem to work out for Gosts Head Soup...

Abbey Road's 5.1 is already really good -- and I have personally found the Atmos through 5.1 to be even better.

I agree with this. Of the handful of Atmos mixes I have on disk, in each case, the down-mixed 7.1 was preferable to the standard 5.1 mix. I didn't expect that either. I just rip them as 7.1 FLAC and play the back through Kodi, which does the upmixing.

I agree with other reviewers here - this is a surround winner. Not only is it wonderful to hear such a great Atmos mix of such a classic Beatles album, but the sound quality of this remix and remaster also sounds pristine. Is it just me, or is the actual sound quality better than the original album? I'm hearing things I've never heard before.

I agree with other reviewers here - this is a surround winner. Not only is it wonderful to hear such a great Atmos mix of such a classic Beatles album, but the sound quality of this remix and remaster also sounds pristine. Is it just me, or is the actual sound quality better than the original album? I'm hearing things I've never heard before.
I've never heard the original, but I can't imagine how it could sound any better than this. Truly stellar.

Back