HiRez Poll Beatles, The - THE BEATLES (The White Album) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - THE BEATLES (The White Album)

• Total voters
Well, we all know that when the Beatles actually mixed their songs (except for Rev 9 in here), they mixed to Mono.. it was George Martin who'd mix it to Stereo later with no Beatles in sight..

That's certainly true of the older stuff, but the book with the new box shows that it's not so cut and dried with the WA. Came as a surprise to me as I was previously under the impression that the stereo version came first, but it turns out that it depends on the song.

I do like the 5.1 mix. It shows lots of clarity and details in a fresh new way besides being a surround mix. I just finally listened to it all in one sitting. Been working a lot and only have heard many of the newer things in small samples which was fine.

Just a few songs that could have had more action in surrounds takes it down from a 10 to a 9. I could change my mind, but I did get the feeling a few songs were not mixed as much to the rear channels, and yet they had the tracks to work with. It was not a song like I Will or Julia, but even those songs work rather well in the 5.1 mix. Complex tracking on certain songs, yet the mix is still too all upfront with virtually nothing in rears. I think I am going to listen to the entire thing with surrounds on only, and see closer what is going on back there.

I got this album for Christmas when I was 8, in 1968. So it's funny to think about 50 years gone. Wow!!! But I appreciate the celebration of one of the best rock albums ever dropped on Christmas shoppers in 1968.

Last edited:
Joyous 10 from me. Loved every minute of this refreshing and rather wonderful immersion in an album I’m too familiar with... Brilliant package, wonderful essays, amazing extra music, and a heady dose of nostalgia. I remember the very day my friend’s big brother brought the album home - on the day of its release. We weren’t allowed to touch anything, but he allowed us to sit and listen with him for an hour if we promised to be completely quiet. Which we did. And were. Totally. It was almost a religious experience. And this has been my fav Fab Four ever since. And now in such clarity, such presence, and often beautiful surround. I love listening to this one...

It is my understanding that votes cast should remain anonymous and not criticized for what the voter feels is fair.

NOT everyone is in love with the Beatles. If, for instance, my parents or their cronies heard THE WHITE ALBUM they'd probably dismiss it as NOISE.

If the polls are to remain sacrosanct, LET IT BE as is and stop criticizing others because YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

BAD HABIT!
But why does someone buy something to hate it then?

It is my understanding that votes cast should remain anonymous and not criticized for what the voter feels is fair.

NOT everyone is in love with the Beatles. If, for instance, my parents or their cronies heard THE WHITE ALBUM they'd probably dismiss it as NOISE.

If the polls are to remain sacrosanct, LET IT BE as is and stop criticizing others because YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

BAD HABIT!

I prefer to see who voted because I many be interested in a certain unfamiliar title. If I see who liked it, and know that we have the same tastes, then I feel more confident about purchasing that title.

But why does someone buy something to hate it then?

I don't know. Because it feels good when they sell it? :SB

Did I say the authoring on this SUCKS????
I strongly object to looping music on menus, especially looping the first song so that you're already sick of hearing it before you push 'play'. Play some music when the menu is first selected, if you must, then shut up por favor. Judging from Pepper and now TWA Apple seems determined to keep committing this authoring sin.

I also consider it pretty damn lazy to have the same 'slide show' playing at the same pace throughout the entire album- same problem I have with Pepper and even the blu-ray of Quadrophenia, except in the latter case the photos from the original booklet have a chronology and/or relate to particular songs, so why not sync them to the unfolding story and show relevant images with each song? Sorry, not the right thread for that complaint.

I strongly object to looping music on menus, especially looping the first song so that you're already sick of hearing it before you push 'play'. Play some music when the menu is first selected, if you must, then shut up por favor. Judging from Pepper and now TWA Apple seems determined to keep committing this authoring sin.

I also consider it pretty damn lazy to have the same 'slide show' playing at the same pace throughout the entire album- same problem I have with Pepper and even the blu-ray of Quadrophenia, except in the latter case the photos from the original booklet have a chronology and/or relate to particular songs, so why not sync them to the unfolding story and show relevant images with each song? Sorry, not the right thread for that complaint.

That's what the remote control is for ..... just press eject. Most DVD~A discs also had this looping issue as well. Just a fact of life.

Just gratified that we have both Pepper and The White Album in such stunning sonics. Nitpicking the 'authoring' is to me a moot issue.

BAD HABIT!

I think this just goes to the heart of what's wrong with these polls. Someone who doesn't like a certain type of music should not be voting on it, it's pointless. I've used these polls many times before to see if something is worth buying and in 99% of the cases the polls give a pretty good sense of what to expect - quality-wise. I'd never count on them when it comes to whether a piece of music is worth of listening to. Not to mention in this day and age you can just listen to it on youtube or something to decide if you like it or not. Giving a box set like this a 3 is just ridiculous and feels like it was done to spite. A 6 is kinda silly too, but let's say that's debatable. Regardless though, mixing a review on quality, fidelity, mastering and packaging with opinion on music simply makes no sense to me. Should be two completely separate things.

That's what the remote control is for ..... just press eject. Most DVD~A discs also had this looping issue as well. Just a fact of life.

Just gratified that we have both Pepper and The White Album in such stunning sonics. Nitpicking the 'authoring' is to me a moot issue.

I always start playing these on mute until I'm ready to start playing. So annoying.

I think this just goes to the heart of what's wrong with these polls. Someone who doesn't like a certain type of music should not be voting on it, it's pointless. I've used these polls many times before to see if something is worth buying and in 99% of the cases the polls give a pretty good sense of what to expect - quality-wise. I'd never count on them when it comes to whether a piece of music is worth of listening to. Not to mention in this day and age you can just listen to it on youtube or something to decide if you like it or not. Giving a box set like this a 3 is just ridiculous and feels like it was done to spite. A 6 is kinda silly too, but let's say that's debatable. Regardless though, mixing a review on quality, fidelity, mastering and packaging with opinion on music simply makes no sense to me. Should be two completely separate things.

A common trend which I've noticed lately is compared to a scant few years ago, the number of votes cast has diminished greatly. Gone are the days when 300 or so votes were cast [i.e. The LOVE album] and ironically, the number of votes cast for the wonderful [and CHEAP, frankly] Dutton Vocalion discs is embarrassingly small. I just noticed AF's BOB DYLAN LIVE BOOTLEG 1964 disc didn't even reach 10 votes [as of the other day] to even qualify for the polls.

I do try to vote whenever possible......and wish others would, as well. I think Dutton Vocalion, MOST especially, deserves way more LOVE than it's receiving.....especially for their bargain basement priced two~fer QUAD SACDs. Seriously, NO OTHER REISSUE companies even come close in giving us such an astounding bang for the buck.......yes, I realize not all their releases are QQ friendly but I try to support their efforts as much as I can to ensure MORE will be forthcoming.

Better late than never....I realised I hadn't voted yet. Off to the stocks with me. I'm re-stuffing the guts of a new HTPC at moment which I use for my surround fix.

The White Album is exquisite. My favourite tracks sound amazing (Martha my dear, Savoy Truffle, Piggies) but Helter Skelter is out there. Crank it up and take the punishment....oh yes, yes, yes. A revelation and treasure.

Youtube is handy for auditioning potential purchases (y)

Back