Beatles Yellow Submarine returning to theaters this summer in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From Billboard:

The Beatles will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their 1968 animated film Yellow Submarine by bringing back the movie -- sporting a new 4K digital restoration and a 5.1 stereo surround sound remix -- to theaters across North America this July, Billboard has learned. Specific screening dates will be available here. The film is being screened through a deal with the Beatles' Apple Corps Ltd., Abramorama and Universal Music Group. A new trailer and film poster have been released for the film's return. The Beatles previously announced a similar 50th anniversary event in January for the U.K. and Ireland with the film playing on big screens there on July 8.

The 4K digital resolution was done by a team led by Paul Rutan Jr. at Triage Motion Picture Services and Eque Inc. The songs and score were remixed in 5.1 at Abbey Road Studios by music mix engineer Peter Cobbin. According to Abramorama and UMG, the digital clean-up of the film was done by hand frame-by-frame without the use of any automated software.

The animated movie, which was written by Lee Minoff, Al Brodax, Jack Mendelsohn and Erich Segal and directed by George Dunning, is based on the title song written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and sung by Ringo Starr. The song, which came from the 1966 Revolver album, entered the U.S. singles charts on Aug. 20, 1966 and peaked at No. 2 during a nine-week run on the Billboard singles chart. The flip side, “Eleanor Rigby,” debuted on the charts the following week on Aug. 27 and peaked at No. 11, staying on the charts for eight weeks. It entered the U.K. charts Aug. 11, 1966, and topped the Record Retailer/Music Week charts during an 11-week run. It made a brief one-week return in 1986 only getting to No. 63.

The group released a Yellow Submarine soundtrack album for the movie that contained only six of the 15 Beatles songs in the film plus seven orchestral pieces written and orchestrated by their producer George Martin. It entered the Billboard charts on Feb. 8, 1969 and peaked at No. 2 during a 25-week run. The score for the film was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Show in 1970, but it lost out to Burt Bacharach's music for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In 1999, the Beatles released Yellow Submarine Songtrack, an album which featured most of the songs used in the film newly remixed.

“We're thrilled to have the privilege of bringing Yellow Submarine back to the big screen so that three generations of happy Beatles fans can enjoy the ground-breaking animation and classic tunes that have long been part of our collective cultural DNA,” said Abramorama CEO Richard Abramowitz in announcing the film's return.

The film was celebrated upon its release by movie reviewers, including Roger Ebert, who called it “the most original and inventive feature-length animated cartoon since the days when Walt Disney was still thinking up innovations,” and New Yorkmagazine's Judith Crist, who wrote it was “sheer delight in its concept and execution.”

In 2009, interestingly enough, it was Disney who began talking up plans for a new 3D remake of the film to be directed by Robert Zemeckis (Back To the Future), but the project was killed in 2011. Zemeckis had previously produced an animated A Christmas Carol starring Jim Carrey released in 2009 that was thought to be an inspiration for the new version. The project got as far as casting the four Beatles, but budget issues were among the reasons that finally caused it to be scrapped.

Apple Corps Ltd. was founded by The Beatles in 1968. It has piloted many projects by the band over the years, including The Beatles' 1, The Beatles Anthology TV film, the release of the Beatles' remastered albums and the 2017 chart topping remixed and expanded anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It also partnered with Imagine Entertainment, White Horse Pictures and Polygram Entertainment/UMG for the 2016 Grammy winning documentary The Beatles: Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years and with Cirque Du Soleil for The Beatles' Love, which has played to almost nine million people in Las Vegas since its debut in June 2006.

yellow-submarine-poster-2018-billboard-embed.jpg

Cool!! I really enjoyed seeing Eight Days A Week and the sound was really good. There could be a blu ray 'in my sweaty hands' a bit later in the year then? :)

From your imagination to my video shelves! Now I will have to search out the other 3 movies. I already have A Hard Day's Night.

Hmmm. Skeptic, be me. If you all recall, the original MGM DVD had the "new" 5.1 sound/songtrack from 1999, and then there came the BluRay a decade or so later. The original DVD had the music track isolated (on demand), but the BD did not. Also, the BluRay was a newer mix, one that was not so adventurous. See this thread for the "When I'm Sixty Four" comparison. (This was before the Sgt Pepper BluRay)

So, maybe the "new" will not mean "better" with regard to the surround mix. If it's more like the Sgt Pepper BD, then there may be even more reasons to search out the 1999 DVD.

NOTE: see post #12 below

Last edited:
Hmmm. Skeptic, be me. If you all recall, the original MGM DVD had the "new" 5.1 sound/songtrack from 1999, and then there came the BluRay a decade or so later. The original DVD had the music track isolated (on demand), but the BD did not. Also, the BluRay was a newer mix, one that was not so adventurous. See this thread for the "When I'm Sixty Four" comparison. (This was before the Sgt Pepper BluRay)

So, maybe the "new" will not mean "better" with regard to the surround mix. If it's more like the Sgt Pepper BD, then there may be even more reasons to search out the 1999 DVD.

Hey Jon, I think you're getting yourself mixed up there, buddy.
AFAIK, the 1999 YS DVD and the 2012 YS Blu-Ray have exactly the same 5.1 surround mix (but you are right that the Blu-Ray is missing the isolated 5.1 music mix found on the DVD)

Also, your comparison thread is comparing the 1999 isolated 5.1 music mix found on the YS DVD to the the 5.1 mix found on the "Sgt Pepper..." Blu-Ray.

Finally, the press release for these 50th anniversary cinema showings clearly states that the movie was mixed in surround sound by Peter Cobbin, therefore it has to be the same 5.1 surround mix on the YS DVD and Blu-Ray because Peter Cobbin hasn't worked at EMI Abbey Road for over 10 years.

:)

Hey Jon, I think you're getting yourself mixed up there, buddy.
AFAIK, the 1999 YS DVD and the 2012 YS Blu-Ray have exactly the same 5.1 surround mix (but you are right that the Blu-Ray is missing the isolated 5.1 music mix found on the DVD)

Also, your comparison thread is comparing the 1999 isolated 5.1 music mix found on the YS DVD to the the 5.1 mix found on the "Sgt Pepper..." Blu-Ray.

Finally, the press release for these 50th anniversary cinema showings clearly states that the movie was mixed in surround sound by Peter Cobbin, therefore it has to be the same 5.1 surround mix on the YS DVD and Blu-Ray because Peter Cobbin hasn't worked at EMI Abbey Road for over 10 years.

:)

Oh my, age is creeping up to me. UGH!! :eek: I may need a Snood injection! :SB

I saw the first two Beatles movie first run in a theater but I've only seen Yellow Submarine from my '99 DVD. This thread has definitely got me wanting to see it again. I will do my best to see it in a theater. There's a lot of unique offerings like in my area mainly from Fathom Events & Alamo Draft House. Problem is they are almost always on a work night & I can never get to them. I'll have to check out the Yellow Submarine link above & see what up.

Edit: Hmmmm I see the only show date listed as Sunday July 8th for the UK only. Any idea if it will be released in the states?

Last edited:
Anyone else go to see Yellow Submarine today? It may have been the sound system in the small-town theater where I caught it, but I found the 5.1 soundtrack disappointing. More like 3.0--no real LFE content--for most of the film, with use of the rears (which in this theater were side-rears) rare and subtle. I'll have to dig out my Blu-Ray, but I seem to recall it being more interesting than what I heard today. I caught Sam Okell's name in the credits--I forget who else--but whoever was responsible for this, it was pretty snoozy.

An article in Billboard today mentions:

The animated film Yellow Submarine has been shown a lot of love from both The Beatles and the public in its 50 years since its release in 1968. Starting today (July 9), to celebrate the movie's 50th anniversary, fans in the U.S. will be treated to theater screenings of the best-looking version of the film they've ever seen.

That's according to Paul Rutan Jr. at Triage Motion Picture Services and Eque Inc. who led the team that re-scanned the film to the 4k resolution used on the Blu-ray and DVD release in 2012, as well as the theatrical cut to be debuted this week. “It's fully restored and it looks great,” Rutan tells Billboard in a phone interview. “The restoration that I did is state-of-the-art, the best that it can be,” he said.

Although most of the work was used for the release of the Blu-ray and DVD, there have been other improvements that theater viewers will notice, too. “The changes that were made were made basically was replacing scenes that had been shortened, correcting sequences that had been changed for the United States market, and also inserting the 'Hey Bulldog' sequence," Rutan details. "And Apple did a new 5.1 stereo track.

I was never a big fan of the movie. From the moment I realized the Beatles weren't doing their own voices (which was as soon as the characters spoke), my interest level went way down. Without the real Beatles, it is just a silly children's movie ASFAIC.

Last edited:
Back