Because Sound Matters DVD CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB-V

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I was randomly looking through a drawer of CD's and DVD-A's, etc. and came across a couple Because Sound Matters DVD CD-4's, as they called them. I had totally forgotten about them...bought back when we had high hopes for the BSM site / store. They are really neat packaging, just like albums, even the sleeve. I only remember the two I have as being produced before the site and entire operation went under...Chicago and Aretha Franklin. I do not believe I ever played them. I'm not even certain if they play back correctly as a DVD-A or you need the demod.

Anyway, was curious if others here that bought them ever played them, what they thought and if more BSM DVD CD-4s was sold back then that I just missed. I remember thinking back then, there would be hundreds more to come!
20220101_174436.jpg

Those were unfortunately the only two quadraphonic re-releases from that Rhino program. Rhino has since gone on to release all of the Chicago quads in a single boxed set on Blu-ray Audio, and all four Doobie Brothers quads in a similar single boxed set also on Blu-ray Audio. But Aretha Franklin has not yet seen another release since then.

Yep as stated by Winopener -those 2 Rhino Handmade "Because Sound Matters" disc's are readily playable on any DVD video disc player to obtain the original quad mix in DTS surround.

And besides the 2 Blu-ray box sets of quadradiscs (in 192/24) by Chicago , and by The Doobie Brothers, as mentioned by "SSE" , there was or is , one more .
The Doors - The Doors Singles , which is a CD/Blu-ray containing The Best Of The Doors In Quad (quadradisc).
The CD contains both mono and stereo hit singles. The Blu-ray is in HI Rez 192/24 quadraphonic .

I was randomly looking through a drawer of CD's and DVD-A's, etc. and came across a couple Because Sound Matters DVD CD-4's, as they called them. I had totally forgotten about them...bought back when we had high hopes for the BSM site / store. They are really neat packaging, just like albums, even the sleeve. I only remember the two I have as being produced before the site and entire operation went under...Chicago and Aretha Franklin. I do not believe I ever played them. I'm not even certain if they play back correctly as a DVD-A or you need the demod.

Anyway, was curious if others here that bought them ever played them, what they thought and if more BSM DVD CD-4s was sold back then that I just missed. I remember thinking back then, there would be hundreds more to come!View attachment 74894
I don't know how that Aretha DVD-A sounds, but if the mix is anything near the CD-4 disc, (and I assume it is,) it's fantastic!

Back