Because Sound Matters (on-line DVD-A record store from Warner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Edison started out with drums, later discs were introduced. the Edison's discs used "hill and Dale" modulation and the Victrola discs used side to side modulation. An Edison disc will play on my Columbia Grafonola but there will be hardly any sound. Vice versa is true also. Well, Victrola's side to side modulation won out, and later electronics were added. Then someone came up with the idea of using Edison's hill and dale modulation on each wall of the groove at 45 degree angles to the surface of the record, Vector modulation and stereo was born. So you might say that Edison won in the end. And of course, the pinnacle of Edison's phonograph was to put four channels on a record using supersonic subcarriers, CD-4. Another rather curious format war was between 45 RPM records and the well established 78 RPM record. I remember seeing console monophonic systems with two turntables, one for 78's and one for 45's. Of course the microgroove Long Play record won out over both of those, which could only play single songs.

I have some 12 inch 78 RPM records with longer compositions on them. I believe they are Stephen Foster songs. (they are very politically incorrect) I also have some with classical compositions. The rock and roll record is "Wake Up Little Suzy", a snappy little tune about falling asleep at the drive in theater. I would like to find a recording of Dixie's Land (Dixie) on 78. I know one exists on Edison records, but I don't know if such exists on a Victrola disc. I cannot play the Edison discs.

The monophonic Quadfather

Quadfather, we have drifted way off topic here, however...

I can play both the Edison discs and the RCA 78's. You could say it's a 1915 universal player, except it won't play wax cylinders. I purchased an adapter which inserts where the reproducer goes, that has a traditional RCA type set up. There is a speed adjustment that needs to be tweaked from 80 to 78RPM when I swap the head units. With the original acetate 78 RPM records the steel needles need to be changed after 2 - 3 plays. Sometime around 1950 they changed to vinyl records and more of a conventional type stylus. I have special bamboo needles which fit in the RCA head so the vinyl records are not damaged. As expected playback is not as loud (or detailed) with the bamboo needles. The Edison reproducer still has the original diamond tip and will probably out live me.

We have a Shop in Milan, Ohio (Edison's birthplace) called "Sights and Sounds of Edison" that has many Diamond Disc players, Victrola's, and wax cylinder players with beautiful custom made wooden horns. They also have a large selection of Diamond Discs, wax cylinders and 78's. They also have a very rare recording of Edison's voice on a very good condition Diamond Disc that goes for $300.00 (put that in the shocker log). I usually spend too much time and money each time I go. But that's what hobbies are for!

I had heard that Edison's modulation method was used somehow on stereo records, but I wasn't sure how exactly. Thanks for clearing that up! The last time I was there I listened to two or three entire stacks of Diamond Discs and they have a couple recordings of "Dixie," however they were in poor condition so I passed on them.

Well, that's all I got........From Monophonic Mono :D

Dennis

Since we're veering widely.... :smokin

My sister is an expert in the field of antique miniatures and dolls houses. When I visited her in NH several yeas ago, she demonstrated her "parlor system". It had a really nice 'live' sound to it, then I saw the player. It was playing tin discs! More a piano roll technique than modulations to be sure...

Sony has bailed on stereo SACD for no reason at all and they invented the freaking format.

I'm afraid that isn't true. Sony continues to release Stereo SACDs of Jazz performances in Japan on their Sony Music and Village Records labels. A number of those SACDs are also available as imports here in the U.S.

When it comes to Classical Music and some of the Classical Crossover and Soundtrack Albums, Sony is releasing these as Single Inventory Surround Sound + Stereo SACDs worldwide. This latter group of Sony Classical and Sony Music Soundtrax SACDs are the ones we are getting in the U.S. as well.

Brian,

I appreciate your efforts at bolstering the SACD format and letting us know there is some continued activity.

But for many of us, there is little or nothing listed anymore that we would really break our necks to acquire. There is no rock, pop or country to satisfy the masses who still see value in owning a tangible disc product that delivers a high quality audio experience.

Brian,

I appreciate your efforts at bolstering the SACD format and letting us know there is some continued activity.

But for many of us, there is little or nothing listed anymore that we would really break our necks to acquire. There is no rock, pop or country to satisfy the masses who still see value in owning a tangible disc product that delivers a high quality audio experience.

Just wanted to set the record straight about some of the earlier comments made here.

I have a sapphire stylus on my graphonola. It was designed to replace the steel "nail" needle. It was made by Phansteil, and I do believe I still have the number on file. Apparently you could only get about three plays with the steel needles, so they were bought in packs. The sapphire has lasted well. I remember you could get stereo stylii in sapphire or diamond. The diamond cost more and lasted longer. Now only diamond is sold.

The Monophonic Quadfather

If Warner needed to cut costs for their surround titles, I would be perfectly happy with DTS-CDs.

A dvd-video disc with full-rate/1500kbps DTS would be better (especially because during scanning there would be no nasty static noise like with DTS-CDs) but with the ones I own right now from various other labels, I am tired of having to turn on my monitor to select an icon to get them to play, which is VERY irritating to me.

Yeah, Edison started out with drums, later discs were introduced. the Edison's discs used "hill and Dale" modulation and the Victrola discs used side to side modulation. An Edison disc will play on my Columbia Grafonola but there will be hardly any sound. Vice versa is true also. Well, Victrola's side to side modulation won out, and later electronics were added. Then someone came up with the idea of using Edison's hill and dale modulation on each wall of the groove at 45 degree angles to the surface of the record, Vector modulation and stereo was born. So you might say that Edison won in the end. And of course, the pinnacle of Edison's phonograph was to put four channels on a record using supersonic subcarriers, CD-4. Another rather curious format war was between 45 RPM records and the well established 78 RPM record. I remember seeing console monophonic systems with two turntables, one for 78's and one for 45's. Of course the microgroove Long Play record won out over both of those, which could only play single songs.

I have some 12 inch 78 RPM records with longer compositions on them. I believe they are Stephen Foster songs. (they are very politically incorrect) I also have some with classical compositions. The rock and roll record is "Wake Up Little Suzy", a snappy little tune about falling asleep at the drive in theater. I would like to find a recording of Dixie's Land (Dixie) on 78. I know one exists on Edison records, but I don't know if such exists on a Victrola disc. I cannot play the Edison discs.

The monophonic Quadfather

This is my old style phonograph:

phonograph_number_2.jpg

And it works great!

It gets surprisingly loud considering it uses no electricity.

Certainly one of the coolest "toys" I own, and one I never plan on parting with.

I also have a couple of cylinders too. Don't have a machine to play them on, but my grandfather does.

Dylan:

You got to love gear that comes complete with a hand crank so the music can still play even in the event of a power outage. Ice in the cooler and the windup record player - party on! :banana:

Justin

Last edited:
Now you just need "Hand" from the Adam's Family to spin that crank :banana:

Back on topic; just posted to BSM:

Rush MVI Should Have Been DVD-A
Submitted by DVDAWins on Tue, 07/03/2007 - 9:15pm.

I absolutely agree; for the money paid I thought there would also be a red book CD in the pkg. The "register for more" process on putting the disc in the PC was off-putting but not as much as the server not responding with an activation email despite two attempts. I did finally figure out that the Save + Save All buttons were for the MP3 files. They loaded this MVI disc with every trendy add-on like ringtones and such.

How does it sound? Rush in 5.1 is a superb idea; unfortunately Dolby Digital was used so it's needlessly brittle and imprecise. It serves to demonstrate it's "not enough bits to go around" nature for music.

If the disc was DVD-Audio I could forgive all the rest of this nonsense. This would have been a killer disc in DVD-A.

No more excuses or ill-fated mis-directed attempts like MVI; we need TRUE DVD-A now. This master already exists to be properly exploited so PLEASE PLEASE put out a proper DVD-Audio version and soon!

Tim believes in high resolution surround music

Back on topic; just posted to BSM:

Rush MVI Should Have Been DVD-A
Submitted by DVDAWins on Tue, 07/03/2007 - 9:15pm.
They loaded this MVI disc with every trendy add-on like ringtones and such.

To add insult to injury, while you can choose which parts of the songs you want in the ringtone, you still have to BUY it! I should get free ringtones after buying the freakin' disc!

Sorry, I already have a wave editor and a bluetooth connection so I can get Rush ringtones from my CDs. (I put on "Leave That Thing Alone" as a ringtone already. :smokin)

How does it sound? Rush in 5.1 is a superb idea; unfortunately Dolby Digital was used so it's needlessly brittle and imprecise. It serves to demonstrate it's "not enough bits to go around" nature for music.

Even for a DD5.1 track it didn't sound good. I just burned my "New Order: A Collection" DVD-Video onto a DVD-A format and even THAT sounded better than the "Snakes & Arrows" 5.1 track!

No more excuses or ill-fated mis-directed attempts like MVI; we need TRUE DVD-A now. This master already exists to be properly exploited so PLEASE PLEASE put out a proper DVD-Audio version and soon!

Tim believes in high resolution surround music

The hi-res track was pretty good and was a preview of what "could have been" with a 5.1 MLP track.

But, yes, I'm done with MVI for now until there's an MLP track.
I'll still probably get the Flaming Lips' "U.F.O.s At The Zoo" MVI since that was originally supposed to be a DVD-Video disc and was never intended for DVD-Audio.

I got Linkin Park MVI because I was curious. At least that was a warning to me that I couldn't play MVIs in my car.

Statistical Decline of BSM Traffic - Where Is The DVD-A?

Submitted by DVDAWins on Thu, 07/26/2007 - 10:21pm.
Message Trends & Statistics

June 2007 = 266
July 2006 = 44
Aug 2007 = ???

DVD-Audio = 209
Vinyl = 61
Both = 29
No update = 11

NOTE: [This was pulled from the BSM site when signs of life emerged]

Last edited:
Just checked the Because Sound Matters site again and they now list a few DVD-Audio's, Sailing To Philadelphia, At War With the Mystics, Morph the Cat, Doors Perception. No new releases yet, but it's a start.

Wow! Good news. They also have the Jackson Browne and David Crosby DVD-A's.

Gee, I never knew CDs and DVDs were made out of wax, hot wax no less! :D They need to separate the "hot wax" from the "hot plastic". ;)

Seriously, this is good news and a start. Thanks for sharing; honestly, I've not visited the site much lately. . .subconsciously giving up I guess. :rolleyes:

Hope has been temporarily restored. :phones (y)

Best,
Josh

Back