Because Sound Matters (on-line DVD-A record store from Warner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres a theory, they want to be seen as backing DVDA to apease 'us' but they havent got the inventory so are in no hurry to actually take orders and fix things.

I think you nailed it right there. If you can't truly advance DVD-A at this time, at least look like you're doing something.

The DVD-A fans were very vocal this summer so this now stagnant situation is their steaming cup of STFU for us.

Sadly looks like a whole lot of stereo vinyl and a handful of worthless non high-resolution MVI discs will get released. I am in surround withdrawal. :(

Just received this email from the BSM mailing list:

Greetings from Vinyl HQ... first and foremost I want to apologize for becausesoundmatters.com failing to initially live up to even my own expectations of what the store could be. Plain and simple, we were not ready on the back end and the site instantly required more time than the 2 of us had to stay current. The goal was to have an on line store for selling direct to you, have site exclusives, provide early information about releases, create a community for vinyl and music fans, and especially focus on sound. Obviously part of making all that happen was also to produce the vinyl, both new and catalog in order to drive the site. To a very large degree that part has happened, especially with current releases... nearly all of our current records come out on vinyl. All sound great regardless of source etc.

The catalog part is also about to hit stride, the way we always wanted it to. Titles announced many months ago are REALLY about to come out. As part of Warner Bros. Records 50th year in the music business, we are creating a WB 50th Anniversary Archive Series. Rickie Lee Jones, James Taylor, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Marty Paich, Green Day, The Replacements, and many , many others will be represented.

The brand new R.E.M. album, "Accelerate" LP+CD and The Black Keys new album "Attack & Release" LP+CD will both hit stores the same date as the CD, April 1st. We have announced an entire reissue campaign of the Metallica catalog on vinyl, both 331/3 standard weight and 45 rpm 180 deluxe versions. The first 2 titles, "Kill Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" hit April 15th.

So where does that leave our beloved brainchild on line record store, becausesoundmatters.com?

Over the next couple of months you will see an entire revamp of the site, every aspect will become what I always wanted it to. I now have a whole staff of vinyl loving helpers to make this site an incredible destination. In the short term every title will be up for sale in the current store, pre orders will begin to appear, special offerings will be made available, release information will be posted there first, I am starting an ongoing vinyl blog, along with many more exciting developments.

I must say in advance that the DVD audio portion remains challenging for numerous reasons but as time permits I will continue to work on that aspect. For those of you that are so passionate about the format, please bare with the site and we will do our best.... but in general DVD audio will be on the back burner and I wanted to say that up front so there isn't any confusion. If vinyl is your thing, you are going to be in heaven!!!! I will be announcing more cool news on the site very soon.

I hope this e mail clears up any confusion and that you will be checking out the site as it REALLY now will blast off!!!!

Over and Out from Vinyl HQ.​

Certainly does seem to confirm that there won't be any more developments from WEA on the DVD-A front. Sure does sound like it took even the guys behind the site by surprise, though. :(

"If vinyl is your thing, you are going to be in heaven!!!!"

OTOH - If DVD-A is you thing, you are so screwed as far as we are concerned. :mad:

Just forget it, folks. We'll have to be content with the "Ringos" and the "Porcupine Trees" because WEA obviously doesn't want to deal in DVD-Audio anymore. It's pretty clear.

The fact that they won't even do STEREO DVD-A makes this all the more evident.

Well I am not surprised but I am saddened by the fact that most of the DVD-A's are going for huge coin on Ebay but the powers that be at WBR (or whatever they are called now) are blind to the money making opportunities that exist.

Just forget it, folks. We'll have to be content with the "Ringos" and the "Porcupine Trees" because WEA obviously doesn't want to deal in DVD-Audio anymore. It's pretty clear.

The fact that they won't even do STEREO DVD-A makes this all the more evident.
+1.......unfortunately.

Face it, sales of dvd-audio sucked, plain and simple. By now I believe even if it had been marketed properly, internet downloads and MP3 players would have prevented it from flourishing.

Most people our age (around 40 on up?) don't listen to music much anymore because of family, job or whatever & younger folks - especially those 20-somethings with lots of disposable income - who would have bought a nice sound system in decades past probably think sitting down & listening to music is "weird".

Another thing I lament: all those cars out there that came equipped with dvd-audio players that are going to waste. I'll bet their owners don't even know what they have. Last year I went and listened to the new Buick Enclave with the Bose dvd-a surround system. Sounded great! Why I am reporting this now I don't know, but there you go.

I just visited this site for the first time in months.

For the heck of it I threw all my wish list DVD-A titles into a shopping basket.

Every one came up as being on sale, either $4.99 or $5.99 off.

Might be the time to buy :)

As annoying as the whole BSM situation played out for DVD-A fans, I was delighted to see them issue Metallica's first two albums on 45 RPM vinyl.

Yeah baby!

:banana:

Fellow Audiophiles:

Add Classic Records' and other 180G vinyl to the list for those who don't already know, as well as the other 45-RPM 12-inch two-disc LP representations of many famous albums.

It's nice to have the commercial LP, 33-audiophile LP (half speed or 180G), the 45-rpm 2-disc incarnations and the CD and/or DVD-A/DTS/SACD of a title just to see the differences in how different engineers treat the same master tape.

Yes it is...which is why the new Yazoo is manna from heaven, but it took the band's label and artist to sign off on it, an indie(Mute)capable of putting out such a set, knowing that enough of their fans will be interested to make it modestly profitable.

ED :)

As a goof I tried their website today. It still exists............but it's an entirely different spin. And where are those DVD-Audios?

So go the Days of Our Lives.

As a goof I tried their website today. It still exists............but it's an entirely different spin. And where are those DVD-Audios?

So go the Days of Our Lives.

View attachment 39290

Funny, Jon, when I clicked onto that site, I got: No Longer Available On the World Wide Web:☠

See the source image

Back