Because Sound Matters (on-line DVD-A record store from Warner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to do my part for BSM, I picked up R.E.M.'s Around The Sun, the only one I was missing.

I will say that the $6.49 shipping for a CD/DVD-A pack seemed a bit steep...

For that much money they could send it airmail to Australia and still have some change...

REM is one of those bands whose DVDA's are actually cheaper to buy on ebay than anywhere else.

We can pick BSM apart all day for not being everything we want, but those are just generalizations.

I sell a fair amount of CDs on eBay and have to charge $6.00 for a single CD to Austrailia to cover myself. A CD/DVD-A would be heavier.

There are currently no R.E.M. DVD-Audio releases on eBay right now and there has only been ONE sold ($12.50 / $4.60 ship) in the last 30 days so I don't think this is necessarily true anymore.

http://music.search-completed.ebay.com/r-e-m_DVD-Audio_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC11QQfisZ2QQfromZR10QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ46353QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsatitleZrQ2eeQ2emQ2e

If they experience no success at this level we will never get to the really good phase we all dream about. I'm more excited about new titles but know that we have to start somewhere.

If they experience no success at this level we will never get to the really good phase we all dream about. I'm more excited about new titles but know that we have to start somewhere.

I fully agree Tim, but the truth is that if they put even half the effort into DVD-Audio that they put into vinyl, then I am SURE that we would all be a lot more enthusiastic, and more supportive. Canadian shipping notwithstanding, if they don't have any titles I don't already have, then they have nothing for me to buy.

The point about having to sell at retail so as not to undercut their retailers is a valid one, but selling only existing, presumably "New, Old Stock" titles seems more like a rummage sale than it does a launch. Even if they don't ship outside of the only country in the world that matters; if they WERE to release new titles, I am sure that they would be available from other sellers ... hopefully sellers who don't think that foreigners are third world dog shit.

if they put even half the effort into DVD-Audio that they put into vinyl...

That's precisely it! It is clear to everyone that these guys figured their vinyl fetish was THE most important venture of this decade. They just happened to include "DVD-Audio" into the BSM mission as a toe in the ocean. (or an afterthought). Makes it all the more amazing we got what what we got so far...

I don't think they expected the ratio of rabid fans that showed up and clearly voiced their preference for DVD-A releases. They were caught UNAWARE; this left them with two options:

1. Quickly "rummage" at their HQ and find some DVD-A titles that had any easily available quantities to quell the riots until they figured out what they could do on new releases.

2. Can the whole DVD-A angle and remove all references from the site and let the idea die a swift death.

I'm glad they chose the former option to keep hope alive. I suspect they couldn't get to ELP, Chicago, Eagles, Fagen because there is no stock on them and a new run will have to be made.

They could be blowing smoke up my ass as far as new titles, but I'd have to think they'd have simply gone with option #2 if they had no plans to ultimately deliver something.

Since the whole venture is just a COOL sideline to them (so far), it is probably not subject to the corporate marketing rules. They just haven't been willing to go to bat and come to grips on the international shipping as one example. If this proves to be successful, I suspect there will be internal pressure to get it to conform to full Warner sales policies. But until then......

My singular motiviation is to not let the only iron in the DVD-A fire go cold.

They could be blowing smoke up my ass as far as new titles, but I'd have to think they'd have simply gone with option #2 if they had no plans to ultimately deliver something.

Either that, or they found an easy outlet for some dead inventory. That said, I hope you are right. I hope they are looking forward, but I will reserve judgement until I see a few new titles. Let's not lose sight of the fact that they have a ton of legacy CD-4 / Q4 & Q8 titles that they could crank out. It worked for the Moodies. Just stating the painfully obvious.

Just stating the painfully obvious.

Yep. Many (including myself) have repeatedly referenced the legacy quad recordings angle and that is yet another aspect they have to come to grips with.

It's particulary attractive in the face of the remixing costs argument. But I don't think any of us can speak first hand as to condition and whereabouts of these masters. You have to wonder if they were treated with any respect or tossed out as historic novelties.

If they are not going to go to bat on these, somebody else should be able to license what still exists one would think. Then again litigation rules the day... :rolleyes:

Maybe Tad knows more about some of these WEA quad masters?

We have to show some balance.

We ASKED them to go find some of the stuff that is already available and hard to find, and they did.

We TOLD them that we don't care what they charge, just get us stuff that we want (especially new stuff that has not been previously released)

They did that. They dug out the Morph, the Running on Empty, the David Crosby, and others. These are hard to find, even on-line. (Try it)

The fact that they did this is a good sign. Now, no one expects anyone to buy discs that they already have, or do not want, but they have taken a step and it's not fair to kill them or to keep nagging them with posts.

They know what we want. Give them some time. They can't just crank out a pile of unreleased titles in a snap.

In reality, no one else but AIX is doing DVD-A right now, so if WB doesn't do it here, it ain't gonna happen.

So - be nice, be patient, and most of all, keep a low but present profile. Too much hounding will have a negative affect, believe me.

There are currently no R.E.M. DVD-Audio releases on eBay right now and there has only been ONE sold ($12.50 / $4.60 ship) in the last 30 days so I don't think this is necessarily true anymore.

[.

errr there is quite alot ..you are searching ebay the wrong way as the sellers usually spell it as rem not r.e.m.

e.g. right now there is

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REM-Around-T...goryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REM-Green-CD...goryZ307QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REM-AUTOMATI...goryZ618QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/R-E-M-REM-Ou...ryZ25890QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REM-REVEAL-D...goryZ618QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

to name but a few..

yes I want to support BSM...but with regards to REM they are the one dvd audio act that is consistently given away on ebay cheaply.

Okay we've now identified two locations for glut of R.E.M. (or REM) DVD-As; BSM and eBay of Austrailia.

results using REM - 5 offered in 30 days; 1 current auction, 6 more in eBay stores and another 6-8 titles in UK.

It is what is it is......for now.

This sub-topic is now officially flogged.

BSM notes:

If you were wondering about that R.E.M. - Around The Sun with the wrong artwork & $31.99 sticker, those aspects are still incorrect. HOWEVER this DVD-A/CD pkg does go in the shopping cart at $24.95.

Relatedly, I shared the above issue with them and also a shopping cart or item scripting bug that prevents some DVD-A titles (I didn't test the vinyl titles) from going into the cart. They assure me there is a larger issue and it will be fixed.

If you have any specific BSM concerns or questions, please post on their site or shoot an email to grover.

Just an update - my "Around the Sun" arrived promptly after ordering. I was on vacation so I don't know exactly how long it took, but it was reasonable.

We're not going to see any new DVD-A titles in 2007, I've accepted that. *Maybe* we'll see something in 2008.

I have pretty much stopped posting and shoot them an email or PM other DVD-A fans than showing impatience for news has zero effect.

The fact that on-line shopping cart links are STILL broken after several weeks is a good indicator they do lack resources and that BSM is not a label priorty. :(

They still haven't fixed the link for buying the Doors box set.

It's all the same problem; most or all of the Warner title links work, but all bets are off for titles from Elektra, Atlantic or other labels. I was told this was the other sales departments not having their act together or resources to troubleshoot.

I checked every single title and gave them a detailed list of technical issues a month ago. :confused:

It's all the same problem; most or all of the Warner title links work, but all bets are off for titles from Elektra, Atlantic or other labels. I was told this was the other sales departments not having their act together or resources to troubleshoot.

I checked every single title and gave them a detailed list of technical issues a month ago. :confused:
You'd think they would fix the link considering that's one of the more expensive items on the website.

Back