HiRez Poll Beck - GUERO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Beck - GUERO

• Total voters
I also got this disc relatively late :eek: , and waited a long time before giving my opinion too.

I liked Sea Change a lot at the time but I knew this would be different. Beck seems trying to fit all styles from Odelay, Mellow Gold and even some Sea Change, into one album. Stir well add some L.A. beats.
The surround is great and although the sound on the DVD-A is good compared to the CD, it has a certain Lo-Fi feel. The songs are not that great, some are OK.

The packaging is one of the nicest (for DVD-A) that I own, but no points for that in this poll, and neither for the video stuff (with DD sound).
All in all a 7 from me.

I got this one in today, about four years after most others here that own it. This is his follow up to "Sea Change" and I would have to think long to come up with an artist that followed a great album with something so different. I love "Sea Change", I own the SACD, and own "Mellow Gold" and "Odelay" on CD so I am a fan but I hadn't heard this. First listen, I will give points for creativity and being willing to be so diverse with an artist's catalog and I will say I like it. It will be a few listens before I vote and that might be months. It isn't the masterpiece "Sea Change" is but I am glad I picked it up.

Chris

I wasn't too keen on this one when it was released, but it has become a disc that I really like. It's funny how opinions on music can change over time.

One of my favourite DVD-As.

Although this may be "grainy" or compressed in parts its one of my favourite 5.1 albums.

Just ordered a new copy off Amazon for about $8 shipped. Hope it's the real deal.

Even I got it new from amazon marketplace for $8 or so few months back. Having heard this album before, I bought it only because of low price...I wonder why such a good package comes so cheap.:confused:

Even I got it new from amazon marketplace for $8 or so few months back. Having heard this album before, I bought it only because of low price...I wonder why such a good package comes so cheap.:confused:

Of course there is only one possible reason. It didn't sell at regular prices because the quantity manufactured far exceeded demand. I have purchased about 100 DVD-A's, new and used at similar prices or lower including many titles new from Yourmusic.com. Some of the titles included some very nice packages but a limited release fancy package like this one is usually manufactured in such small quantities that this didn't happen. If you think this DVD-A is priced low, you should have been involved with HD DVD, concerts and movies in that format dropped to about $2 for the same reason. Needless to say, not many companies will mess with DVD-A now due to the market response. Of course there are also DVD-A titles were demand is tiny and supply even tinier, those are often worth a lot.

Chris

Of course there is only one possible reason. It didn't sell at regular prices because the quantity manufactured far exceeded demand. I have purchased about 100 DVD-A's, new and used at similar prices or lower including many titles new from Yourmusic.com. Some of the titles included some very nice packages but a limited release fancy package like this one is usually manufactured in such small quantities that this didn't happen. If you think this DVD-A is priced low, you should have been involved with HD DVD, concerts and movies in that format dropped to about $2 for the same reason. Needless to say, not many companies will mess with DVD-A now due to the market response. Of course there are also DVD-A titles were demand is tiny and supply even tinier, those are often worth a lot.

Chris

I think you are right. Funny it says 'Guero (W/Dvd) [Collector's Edition][Enhanced][Limited Edition]' in amazon. Limited edition of 1 million??? :howl

It was going for pretty high prices not long after its release due to eth 'limited' nature of these kinds of release.

I like the album the closest he cam to Odelay since that album, maybe not quite as groundbreaking .
Like a lot of things 5.1 was surprised teh follow up was not surround as well !!

Just listening to this after having purchased it for a very reasonable £5 from Amazon UK marketplace. I thought the mix on the first track was a bit dodgy, perhaps it was intentionally grungy. Otherwise, I'm enjoying it. There are some imaginative songs with seductive mixes. I have to confess to having never knowingly heard any Beck before and I think I'll try and check out some more of his music.

I tried to play the two Easter Eggs and have had no luck so far. The first, a video of "E-Pro" and the second a video of "Black Tambourine". A Samsung DVD-HD950 played the videos but with stuttering, pausing or skipping throughout. An LG BH200 wouldn't start either so I tried it in a Toshiba HD-A1 and couldn't get either to start. I may try to play the Easter Eggs in a different player but they look to be challenge for a lot of players.

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/9895.html

Chris

I'll have to check this out later.. I was wondering what to listen to tonight, found it. Thanks :D

I tried to play the two Easter Eggs and have had no luck so far. The first, a video of "E-Pro" and the second a video of "Black Tambourine". A Samsung DVD-HD950 played the videos but with stuttering, pausing or skipping throughout. An LG BH200 wouldn't start either so I tried it in a Toshiba HD-A1 and couldn't get either to start. I may try to play the Easter Eggs in a different player but they look to be challenge for a lot of players.

http://www.eeggs.com/tree/9895.html

Chris
Interesting. Never knew this stuff was there. The ancient Panasonic BDP-10A plays them perfectly, in either 2.0 Dolby Digital or surround Dolby Digital. 4:3 aspect ratio.

I guess I shouldn't try them on any of the newer machines.

update: Tried it on the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD. Played both fine.

update 2: Tried it on the LG BH200. No problem. Tried all 3 of them. Black Tambourine has an alternate angle.

At this point may as well try the Toshiba XA1 also. My other machines are not hooked up right now.

update 3: Plays beautifully on the XA1. This machine seems to be providing the best sound too, and outputs it louder than the other 3 machines. Had to turn it down a bit.

So, Chris I guess this wasn't a challenge for these 4 machines.

As long as the XA1 is powered up (been awhile) may as well play Dukes Of Hazzard, so that's what I'm doing.

Better late than never... :). I recently picked this one up for like $8 (including the s/h!) and have enjoyed it more than most other 'new' releases (I Know this is 7 years old already!) I gave it a 9 just because it is not "really" hi-res. Other than that, I enjoyed the entire album from start to finish and was ready to spin it again after listening the first time; it's been a while since I've done that with a release. I didn't realize that I was familiar with 5 or 6 songs already. The surround mix is exquisite. Tastefully balanced with a few surprises thrown in here and there.

Another latecomer here. Only recently discovered Beck but am really starting to dig him. Yes, even -- or should I say especially -- Mellow Gold.

Anyway, I really like Guero too and this DVD-A is outstanding! I gave it a 9.

Back