HiRez Poll Beck - GUERO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Beck - GUERO

• Total voters
Got this some weeks ago and listened to it several times. Though the sound quality is good and the surround mix is great, the music is just not my cup of tea. So I gave it a 7.

Also a late spinner on these...but this disc blows me out of my chair:mad:@: ...excellent Mix from Elliot and the music suits me more than Sea Change ...a clear 10

I'd heard bits of this album in a couple of places - and liked what I heard, and knew there was a package with a DVD. The package I saw didn't have the slip saying what was on it, so I was pleased to find out there was a surround mix. I've only heard some of the 5.1 and I really like the mixing: it, with the visuals, seem to really compliment the music. I'm liking the three subtitle layers that add graphics - the second one sometimes gives pictures of Beck. My only issue so far is the first track playing so heavily on the left hand side. I don't know if that replicates the stereo mix yet. I'm looking forward to hearing more of this one.

Hard to score this one for me. I gave a quick switch between stereo and 5.1 for Earthquake Weather and the 5.1 really opened it out. The stereo sounded weedy in comparison - which is the opposite of some of the R.E.M. mixes. (I do wonder if there was some kind of exporting to file error with some of those...)

obviously very late for this one...i know nothing about it...but because it's a Scheiner mix i tossed out $7.50 to find out!

Not everyone's cup of tea - but its one of my all time favourites... quite different from Sea Change (if you have that).

A real fun true surround mix - check out the videos (and the alternate angles - at least on Girl - IIRC)

I need to give this another spin...(y)

Not everyone's cup of tea - but its one of my all time favourites... quite different from Sea Change (if you have that).

A real fun true surround mix - check out the videos (and the alternate angles - at least on Girl - IIRC)

I need to give this another spin...(y)

LOVE Sea Change...and thanks to this thread i'm not expecting something similar. for the cheap price i paid i figured it was worth a stab in the dark! also being especially partial to Scheiner mixes..looking forward to it... thanks for the vid tips too

Nothing like Sea Change in musical style and quite compressed/loud (unlike Sea Change) but I quite like this album. I would like it so much more without the compression. I haven't voted on this yet but it's going to get a 7 I think. It does not have the sonics for a 9 or 10.

I thought about giving this a 9, just because it isn't Sea Change. But Sea Change goes to 11, so this one can be a 10.
Super-engaging, enveloping mix that perfectly compliments the music. Sub-woofer forced to fight for it's life.
Dis shizznit is dope, yo.

Yeah, I guess you either like the music or you don’t. Welcome to “music”.

This is a GREAT disc. Fun, crazy, excellent Scheiner mix. Great sonics. Fantastic packaging and visuals Makes me sad for the promise of what 5.1 music held a dozen + years ago that is just so much history now. :(

I love the music. Fun and energetic. Someone gave this disc a “1”? Lol. They must really hate the music and we’re trying to sink the rating. Either that or Beck stole his girlfriend or something. :D

Just picked this one up used for pretty cheap. Will be playing it a LOT. Easy “10”

Last edited:
This is Beck in a lighter, fun mood. The surround is overly compressed, but not near Flaming Lips levels -- and it's a wild, active Scheiner mix with a good number of catchy tunes. On top of that you can still find it really cheap. I'm docking it one point for being too loud, so an "8" for me.

So it turns out the LFE channel in the 5.1 mix is phase inverted for the entirety of the album. In retrospect, I always felt the bottom end on this one was a little hollow, and I guess this explains why.

The LFE content is really "true" LFE - it's the lower end frequencies of the bass drum and bass guitar, so on any system with bass management, it's severely subtracting these from what you should be hearing.

If you have this ripped to .FLAC like I do, it's a cinch to fix. Using the remix channel layout feature from @HomerJAU 's Music Media Helper I was able to invert the LFE channel and overwrite the old incorrect files with the corrected LFE versions in just a few minutes.

The low end on the corrected version really slaps - it's not a night and day difference like Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow or Opeth's Pale Communion because none of the main channels were phase inverted too, but it definitely increased my enjoyment of the album (which I admittedly hadn't listened to in a long time) a bit.

I still think this is probably about a '7' for me - it kind of seems like an album of two halves - one, the slacker-rap/electro-funk followup to Odelay and Mellow Gold, and the other half sounds like stuff that was left off of Sea Change. A couple of them are pretty good, but the rest feel kind of undercooked - I think Jellyfish's keyboardist Roger Manning really brought the secret sauce to Sea Change, especially his epic Paul Buckmaster-esque arrangements, and I reall miss those flourishes on Guero.

Thx soo much. I am new to MMH, and love Beck (except his latest K-pop albums, yuck) and especially enjoy both Guero and Sea Change in mch.

I do not want to hijack this thread but.....what else should I use MMH on (i.e what are the out of phase or in-error surround titles that I might own that need this wonderful MMH elixir help)? A link or simply a PM to make sure this thread doesn't go OT too badly. Thx

Back