HiRez Poll Beck, Jeff - BLOW BY BLOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jeff Beck - BLOW BY BLOW

• Total voters
Can't speak for Mr. Martin, but he was probably more directly involved with the stereo mix than the quad remix, which may have been left to others, like Geoff Emerick. Then there's the possibility of the artist's input. Who approved the final quad mix? Well, if that were my name on the cover....:)

ED :)

Doesn't the guy who produced the album have control over the mix?

Not the Quad in this case.

There is a very grey area regarding producer/engineer. In most cases, a producer is an "ideas guy" (George Martin). He leaves the technical stuff up to the engineer. Notice how much the Beatles sound changed when Geoff Emerick took over for Norman Smith on Revolver? Martin was still the producer. Same with Ted Templeman (Van Halen). He was an ideas guy/ baby sitter. Someone like Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Beck) is both a sound guy and an "ideas guy".

I bought this one early on and it remains one of my favorite surround releases -- certainly among the very top all-instrumental discs. All the tracks are good, and "Constipated Duck" is a particular favorite. I guess I have been voting on lots of favorite discs lately, but no way around it -- this is another 10. (Maybe it's time to vote on some crappy discs now...)

Mark Z

Just listened to this again for the 2nd or 3rd time since I bought it several yrs ago and decided it was time for a rating ;)

Love the disc, love the music and the mix. The sound just swirls around your head, and with the right speakers, some of the sounds image right at your head as if you have 'phones on.

Classic album - deserves a 10

ss9001
Steve

There were two, a "close" to it is Wired, ( on DS) with Jan Hammer. BxB was always a favorite of mine, Jeff did much better in studio those days, w/o effects processors on stage he was not all that. Saw JB with the Jan Hammer band live, I was a little put off, thought Jan was better, more progessive music. I think it rubbed off on JB.
a little triva, Sir George Martin produced that album.

There were two, a "close" to it is Wired, ( on DS) with Jan Hammer. BxB was always a favorite of mine, Jeff did much better in studio those days, w/o effects processors on stage he was not all that. Saw JB with the Jan Hammer band live, I was a little put off, thought Jan was better, more progessive music. I think it rubbed off on JB.

Wow. Maybe you saw him on a bad night--or nights. When I saw him on the Blow by Blow tour, he was incredible, as was the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I saw him twice more, years later, and he was still a virtuoso.

As for this SACD, I gave it a 10. Maybe I'm influenced by my nostalgia (I still have my original LP), but I simply can't find any fault with it.

Wow. Maybe you saw him on a bad night--or nights. When I saw him on the Blow by Blow tour, he was incredible, as was the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I saw him twice more, years later, and he was still a virtuoso.

As for this SACD, I gave it a 10. Maybe I'm influenced by my nostalgia (I still have my original LP), but I simply can't find any fault with it.

Well that was like in 1976, so you have got to take into account there were no processors used live. or perhaps he was just as you say having a bad day. I was really into what the Jan band was doing when he came out and it all changed.He was trying to be progressive and R&R at the same time. And It broke the little "trance" I was in listening to the Jan band, who was on a roll.

Overall, I prefer Blow By Blow to Wired but there is a rather nice Q8 to DVDA of the latter that I, ahem, stumbled upon a couple of years back that gets a spin every now and then. If only Sony had SACD'd Wired too back in the day.. sigh-o-rama!

Overall, I prefer Blow By Blow to Wired but there is a rather nice Q8 to DVDA of the latter that I, ahem, stumbled upon a couple of years back that gets a spin every now and then. If only Sony had SACD'd Wired too back in the day.. sigh-o-rama!

same here. wired belongs on sacd. but I'll take Blow x Blow. It's like they tried to "spin" off on BxB with wired

same here. wired belongs on sacd. but I'll take Blow x Blow. It's like they tried to "spin" off on BxB with wired

true, they do seem very much like companion albums.. although I wonder how much of that is intentional? Jeff Beck seems to be a kind of go with the flow and the music organic kind of guy and not one to have a gameplan like "I know! That worked! Let's do a sequel..!"

true, they do seem very much like companion albums.. although I wonder how much of that is intentional? Jeff Beck seems to be a kind of go with the flow and the music organic kind of guy and not one to have a gameplan like "I know! That worked! Let's do a sequel..!"

thas how I feel too.
hey go to the google home page, they have a moog set you can play, with a 4 channel tape rec.
use the keyboard for the notes tab thru qwerty, and numbers for flats, clik on the moog dilas to change tones this is wild!

Back