Quad LP/Tape Poll Beck, Jeff: Blow By Blow [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Blow By Blow"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
The original SACD was 5.1 however it was the quad mix with a "fake" center channel and LFE created from the quad mix

Like some of the Moody Blues SACD's. And it's worth noting that Sony, on the main, put out some vintage quad mixes in 4.0 (or 4.1?) 'as is,' without the contrivance of a faux center channel. Faux center's were also used for some DTS discs, but that might have been because the DTS spec was supposed to be for 5.1, not 4.0/4.1. Thing is, if you're going to use an original, vintage quad mix, just use it--who the hell cares about making it 5.1 just to come to spec? Pointless, you might as well find the multis and remix to 5.1, which has also been done, and is a more interesting (if not always satisfying) alternative.

I second a remix of "Wired" over "BBB". I don't think they'd reissue the "Wired"quad mix though. That mix is a little strange in places.

BBB was a logical SACD choice if only because it was a top ten album and million-seller; I don't think WIRED (kind of a more adventurous sequel) did nearly as well, though I enjoy just as much (it has a 'fusion' style that I always found appealing). A remixed WIRED would be great if done well, and there are certain issues with the quad mix, but I wouldn't complain if that were reissued, either.

ED :)

It's mentioned on another forum that this Blow by Blow is 5.1 rather than the quad mix.

FYI - From another forum:
I asked Sony Japan about the master of this SACD. They say it is same as 2001 Remaster. (no new 5.1 mix, no new remaster 2ch)
CD is 04 remaster.

:(

pretty sure when you decode it the rears are out of phase but I'll check when I get in later and let you know.

The rear Pair is OOP witht he FRONT pair ;
OR
the LEFT and RIGHT Rears are OOP with each other?

(I know..separated by the same language...BTW, thanks Adam...wish we could meet more often so I could go to Karaoke and get checked at the entrance to see if I'm drunk enough...I'll NEVER forget that ...wish I'd been there... un abrazo!)

The rear Pair is OOP witht he FRONT pair ;
OR
the LEFT and RIGHT Rears are OOP with each other?

(I know..separated by the same language...BTW, thanks Adam...wish we could meet more often so I could go to Karaoke and get checked at the entrance to see if I'm drunk enough...I'll NEVER forget that ...wish I'd been there... un abrazo!)

sorry I was out and about at the time so bit distracted and probably not making much sense but I saw your post and just fancied jumping in with what I vaguely remembered from fiddling about with this one before! :eek:

what I meant was at one point I felt possibly Rear L & Rear R = out of phase; Front L & R = in phase.. also there was something possibly fishy about the amount of diagonal panning going on the first time round I decoded the SQ but I don't know it was a while ago and I'm still experimenting when I get the chance with the whole Quad from vinyl in all its forms project/saga, so everything I do with old records and trying to extract 4-channels out of them is just a work in progress whether SQ/QS/CD-4 whatever and my feelings about it are in a constant state of flux!

anyway.. forget all that because now to be brutally honest since I've got in and had a playthrough of the SQ on the new turntable setup etc (rather than rely on the transfer I did with the old Pro-ject/Ortofon combination) I think a bit of a can of worms has opened.. I mean, it doesn't sound "wrong" either way.. but clearly one way is correct and one isn't and its SQ so I can't understand how anything could decode properly if there was stuff that was supposed to be out of phase in the 2-ch but is in phase..!? surely everything would just remain 'upfront' if the rear-encoded info were not correctly out of phase?

I guess not because leaving it all as it is (i.e. decoded off the disc) the rears have an airy quality and the mix feels open, it reminds me of (though I haven't played it for ages) the sound of the Quad on the old Sony MCh SACD (I'll check that later in the week, too chocka from now til Weds to play around more)

then it gets even more confusing flipping the phase on the rear pair (that is to make them out of phase) the room shrinks (that's the only way I can describe it, the surround soundfield seems to get smaller somehow!) bass increases noticeably, especially towards the rear but generally and the rears stop being so open (diffuse is maybe a better way to describe how they are straight off the record/decoded "as is") and its easier to locate/localise things in the rears by flicking the phase on the rears.

(haha.. indeed.. truth is stranger than fiction.. hopefully get together again someday! thanks for a lovely Bday, one I'll never forget :) )

sorry I was out and about at the time so bit distracted and probably not making much sense but I saw your post and just fancied jumping in with what I vaguely remembered from fiddling about with this one before! :eek:

what I meant was at one point I felt possibly Rear L & Rear R = out of phase; Front L & R = in phase.. also there was something possibly fishy about the amount of diagonal panning going on the first time round I decoded the SQ but I don't know it was a while ago and I'm still experimenting when I get the chance with the whole Quad from vinyl in all its forms project/saga, so everything I do with old records and trying to extract 4-channels out of them is just a work in progress whether SQ/QS/CD-4 whatever and my feelings about it are in a constant state of flux!

anyway.. forget all that because now to be brutally honest since I've got in and had a playthrough of the SQ on the new turntable setup etc (rather than rely on the transfer I did with the old Pro-ject/Ortofon combination) I think a bit of a can of worms has opened.. I mean, it doesn't sound "wrong" either way.. but clearly one way is correct and one isn't and its SQ so I can't understand how anything could decode properly if there was stuff that was supposed to be out of phase in the 2-ch but is in phase..!? surely everything would just remain 'upfront' if the rear-encoded info were not correctly out of phase?

I guess not because leaving it all as it is (i.e. decoded off the disc) the rears have an airy quality and the mix feels open, it reminds me of (though I haven't played it for ages) the sound of the Quad on the old Sony MCh SACD (I'll check that later in the week, too chocka from now til Weds to play around more)

then it gets even more confusing flipping the phase on the rear pair (that is to make them out of phase) the room shrinks (that's the only way I can describe it, the surround soundfield seems to get smaller somehow!) bass increases noticeably, especially towards the rear but generally and the rears stop being so open (diffuse is maybe a better way to describe how they are straight off the record/decoded "as is") and its easier to locate/localise things in the rears by flicking the phase on the rears.

(haha.. indeed.. truth is stranger than fiction.. hopefully get together again someday! thanks for a lovely Bday, one I'll never forget :) )

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR EXPLANATION---

Which boils down to...WHICH do you-or anyone elsee-is the CORRECT (INTENDED ) MIX ??????

The "Airy" lopsided mix (to call it something)..
or the "narrow rears with extra bass???

(or maybe "cue in The Twilight Zone theme".....tarirarou tarirarou...--- i.e. .... a totally different thing???)

:)

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR EXPLANATION---

Which boils down to...WHICH do you-or anyone elsee-is the CORRECT (INTENDED ) MIX ??????

The "Airy" lopsided mix (to call it something)..
or the "narrow rears with extra bass???

(or maybe "cue in The Twilight Zone theme".....tarirarou tarirarou...--- i.e. .... a totally different thing???)

:)

haha!! cue the spooky music indeed..! :alienrob:

it is a bit weird.. how can a Quad LP using a matrix encoded system like SQ utilising/relying on stuff being accurately in phase and out of phase have decoded rears that are out of phase..??

haha!! cue the spooky music indeed..! :alienrob:

it is a bit weird.. how can a Quad LP using a matrix encoded system like SQ utilising/relying on stuff being accurately in phase and out of phase have decoded rears that are out of phase..??

Precisely my point,,,I know the engineers at Columbia were very good (but OTOH, that was the pinnacle of the Quaalude "era"), still, a sober person would have noticed...

Stay tuned, news at 11!:chill

Back