Quad LP/Tape Poll Beck, Jeff: Wired [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Wired"

• Total voters
i see a lot of people here complaining about "no bass" for a lot of stuff. don't you people have sub-woofers? LMAO

i see a lot of people here complaining about "no bass" for a lot of stuff. don't you people have sub-woofers? LMAO

It's not that, because it is a 4 channel transfer, there is no LFE or no bass channel. I once took my copy, and fooled with the channel levels, and pusing them up with just 4 on, achived some of the bass, actually quite good also, but from the sat speakers.

Do not mistake my thoughts, becuase it still is one of the best albums ever.

I have the 5.1 sacd of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow. its fantastic. a 10 in my book

ahhh it's not 5.1. if you check there is no center-it's quad all the way, which is why it's bass shy

It's not that, because it is a 4 channel transfer, there is no LFE or no bass channel. I once took my copy, and fooled with the channel levels, and pusing them up with just 4 on, achived some of the bass, actually quite good also, but from the sat speakers.

Do not mistake my thoughts, becuase it still is one of the best albums ever.

You must have a different version than I have. My receiver shows the input signal as 5.1, and there is output from the center channel.

You must have a different version than I have. My receiver shows the input signal as 5.1, and there is output from the center channel.
Yep - re-purposed quad -> 5.1, like the Moody Blues SACDs

Yep - re-purposed quad -> 5.1, like the Moody Blues SACDs

exatly, what is from the center is matrixed information. It will sound much better by shutting down the center, and use the side speakers for whats left. Try it, you may be pleased.
What I got from the sacd I had-was nothing in the center. I did buy it as my 1st sacd, a long time ago. Since sold

Interesting. Maybe it's also a matter of semantics. So something can be called "5.1" only if it was originally mixed in that format? Just curious.

As for the Wired SQ/Q8, I have to admit that I don't like it as much as the redbook played through PLIIX.

Interesting. Maybe it's also a matter of semantics. So something can be called "5.1" only if it was originally mixed in that format? Just curious.

As for the Wired SQ/Q8, I have to admit that I don't like it as much as the redbook played through PLIIX.

could fidelity play a part in you're preferring the CD over the quad or is it just the mix rather than the sound that does it for you? (the Q8 transfer sounds very nice, just the usual out of control bass of 8-track blots its' copybook a bit! the redbook of Wired does sound very good indeed. I must try it through PLII now! Thanks for the tip-spiration paligap (y)

could fidelity play a part in you're preferring the CD over the quad or is it just the mix rather than the sound that does it for you? (the Q8 transfer sounds very nice, just the usual out of control bass of 8-track blots its' copybook a bit! the redbook of Wired does sound very good indeed. I must try it through PLII now! Thanks for the tip-spiration paligap (y)

I'm sure fidelity has something to do with it. It just sounds "flat" to my ears. The mix seems quite different than what I ingrained in my brain growing up and listening to. For example, in "Come Dancing," there's a keyboard riff toward the end of the song that is barely audible. I have the same problem with the quad mix of "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get." Oddly, I don't have this problem with modern 5.1 remixes, such as ELP and Rush.

From the 1st time I heard wired I had to have it. I once had a cassette of it and it did sound ok, even for a cheesy car stereo
that it was then, the sacd has awalys been a big letdown. I can still remember hearing it on vinyl and sounding good, but my memory is 'effed so it would be nice to compare them today. I sold my BxB a while ago. I have a conversion done off the quad LP from the blogspot. That's the one I listen to now.

The Wired SQ/Q8 has always been a favorite quad album (the stereo being a part of my DNA since it was released), the SQ LP "sounding" better to my ears than the Q8, but the Q8 mix is intangibly better (not better sounding, just more unique material is audible - which gives it it's plus side). I gave it a "9" and hope one day this old gem gets the real treatment it deserves.

The Wired SQ/Q8 has always been a favorite quad album (the stereo being a part of my DNA since it was released), the SQ LP "sounding" better to my ears than the Q8, but the Q8 mix is intangibly better (not better sounding, just more unique material is audible - which gives it it's plus side). I gave it a "9" and hope one day this old gem gets the real treatment it deserves.

Now that would be something! To have it re done on BD? wow I can hear it in my head now.

Back