Quad LP/Tape Poll Beck, Jeff: Wired [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Wired"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Jeff delves into fusion a bit....

Side 1:

1. Led Boots
2. Come Dancing
3. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
4. Head For Backstage Pass

Side 2:

1. Blue Wind
2. Sophie
3. Play With Me
4. Love Is Green

Attachments

• Jeff Beck Wired.jpg
    Jeff Beck Wired.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 549
I really liked this LP in stereo, but in Quad it is fantastic. Super Quad mix, very discrete. I vote a 10. I also love Blow by blow Q8 or SACD.

I was given an audio file of the "Wired" SQ album which I decoded in Adobe Audition. At around 4:51 in "Come Dancing," there is a remnant of a keyboard solo. It is barely audible both on the undecoded SQ file and the decoded quad. Do others experience this? Is the keyboard solo louder in the standard stereo mix (which I don't have) or the Q8?

J. D.

i came across similar on santana iii quad mix..faint guitar which ideally should be way up front....ive got 'blow by blow' sacd.its in 5.1 .ive converted it to a 96/24 dvd audio..and wma pro 96/24 files lossless and lossy also ogg and flac..anyone interested will find it on tpb site...btw i met jeff once nice bloke, bought me a drink...the ronnie scotts dvd is brilliant

An "8".

While I still prefer the content of Blow by Blow and the musicians and feel of that album (plus the fidelity of the BxB SACD has spoiled me ever listening to the old quad again!) this is still a really nice active mix and the fidelity (for a Q8) is about as good as I've ever heard!

Stuck record time = if only this had been released as an M/C SACD... "sigh"..! :(

yeh somewhat of a take off of BxB. Saw This band in 76 and funny thing was Jan Hammer band was kicking that nite but jeff wasn't with missed ques and seened to have been drinking or something to cause that. I like Wired but like everyone else will take blow x blow
Sir George Martin prod blowxblow , did he do this also?

yeh somewhat of a take off of BxB. Saw This band in 76 and funny thing was Jan Hammer band was kicking that nite but jeff wasn't with missed ques and seened to have been drinking or something to cause that. I like Wired but like everyone else will take blow x blow
Sir George Martin prod blowxblow , did he do this also?

I'm pretty sure George Martin produced "Wired" too but I'll check my copy tonight to be totally sure!

ahhhh I was always curious about that. I had thought Jan had done it. interesting.

I guess that's why BxB & Wired sound (and are) pretty similar, one album after another, same producer, same basic approach, similar material.. the Jan Hammer keyboard influence does change the shape & texture of Wired but the groove is not too dissimilar, imho.

ahhhh I was always curious about that. I had thought Jan had done it. interesting.

Saw jeff Beck once with jan hammer band. I really was not too impressed with Jeff. He seemed better in a studio then. The hammer band on the other hand was great, saw them twice.

Last edited:
it is fab! (y)

"if only.." we could get this in a modern-day surround release taken from the original quad tapes.

I have the 5.1 sacd of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow. its fantastic. a 10 in my book

I have the 5.1 sacd of Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow. its fantastic. a 10 in my book

Oh YES!! it is incredible!! I've used it to demo surround music to people before -- they've all said how amazing it is.. once they picked their jaws up off the floor so they could speak! easily one of the best surround SACDs I've got (that's saying something!) a must must must have if ever there was one!!!

Back