Beginner's guide to quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quad receivers are fairly easy to find, so hold out for a real good one. You could also use two identical stereo amplifiers. Another possibility is to use a modern surround receiver. Just make sure the amplifiers for all channels are equal (some weren't) and make sure it has analog aux inputs. You might also want to make sure the tone controls work on the analog inputs. Happy hunting!

The Quadfather

Yet another option is something I just acquired... it's a quadraphonic 'stereo' amp by Technics, model SU-3404. It comes with this funky cable, and although it only has a stereo amp, it can 'control' another 2 channel amp. It's very bizarre. Here's a link, in Japanese:

http://audio-heritage.jp/TECHNICS/amp/su-3404.html

Hey Q8Repair:
By recommending the Akai, I'm certainly not discounting any other deck. But however, the Akai is about as serious as it gets. It has four VU meters, it records in quad, it has an AC motor that's built like a reel to reel motor. It sounds good too. And it will make a fine recording if you use good tape. The chips tend to get noisy, but that is a problem of age more than anything. However, you are free to discuss the merits of the Technics deck. I'm sure it's a fine deck, as most technics stuff is pretty good. But I have no personal experience with that deck.

The Quadfather

I have 2 of the Akai decks. The latest one I aquired has, what I assume, is this capacitor or chip problem. After the unit 'warms up' 15 min. or so, the problem goes away. My Lafayette deck also plays better after a few mins. of play. For that matter, some tapes are smoother & quieter after a warm-up. Anybody buying this? :)

The Geo-Cities site had the proverbial plug pulled awhile back.

I emigrated to Word Press:

http://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.com/

It is a very basic site but it does have a few inclusions such as copies of past Web mumblings from the "early years" of quad folks flocking together on the Web.

Have a great week, folks!!!!!!!!

Recently purchased a Technics SA-6400X and am in need of a couple knobs for it. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find some? Have googled till my fingers have fallen off and emailed a few vintage parts suppliers. Perhaps knobs from another close model would work???

Back