DTS-CD Behringer SRC2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hey Y'all:
I read the posts about the hardware DTS encoder, and there was discussion about the output of the encoder being sampled at 48 KHZ and that it would not record on some CD recorders because they did not have downsampling, and that it would work on recorders that did. So I thought HMMM, could I take an external downsampler and do the same thing? So I purchased a Behringer SRC2000 ultramatch and proceeded to experiment with down sampling my DVD player to my DTS decoder. Right away I noticed there were problems with the Behringer unit, the power switch was messed up, and when I did get it working, some of the lights didn't look right, they looked dim. Well, it didn't work, no music was heard. I did get it to pass a PCM signal that was already sampled at 44.1 KHZ, but that's not really doing anything. So now I am communicating with Behringer for a warranty repair.

I guess the question is, Has anyone tried this, and is there any reason it shouldn't work? I hope to purchase the DTS encoder and use it with the Behringer to feed my Philips CD recorder, which only accepts redbook spec data. Can DTS be effectively downsampled to 44.1 KHZ? What about DTS CDs, what is their sampling rate? Help! I'm an analog guy in a digital world!

The Quadfather

Briefly, Behringer gear is cheap and not all that reliable. I'd look for a unit by someone else if possible. Had a Behringer guitar amp and as soon as it came back from warranty in Atlanta it went on eBay.

I need to spend time on the Creative Labs DTS610 project; it accepts 6 analog inputs and then encodes to DTS stream. Going to record the bitstream with Sound Forge. Preliminary tests at Christmas failed but it had to do with conflicts in the PC since corrected.....

Well. I figured out what was wrong with my Behringer unit. They shipped it to me set up for 240 volt line current. I corrected this problem, and tested the unit. It did not work. It would pass stereo, but not DTS or Dolby surround. I wrote to Behringer about whether it would handle DTS without molesting the encoding. Their response made no sense to me. They said that the unit would not handle DTS because it was not designed to handle more than two channels. This made no sense since as I thought I understood downsampling, the signal is never really decoded in any form. But there is a lot I do not know about digital signal processing, so I will not call BS on that one yet. At any rate, if the Behringer is no good for DTS, then maybe I can use it in other functions. It is equipped with a function they call "copy bit killer" Now that could be useful. At least I didn't pay full price for it. So that brings to question, you guys who bought the DTS encoder and are feeding it into a CD recorder, what is really going on there? Is the input being downsampled or just recorded at 48KHZ. I'm also being hampered by the fact that there is very little info in my manuals for my equipment about what sampling rates they were designed to handle. Anyway, I guess I could get the same recorder y'all use and forget the external downsampling. Or if anyone gets it to work with another brand of downsampler, I would like to know.

The Quadfather

I'm having trouble envisioning a DTS bitstream being burned directly to a CDR.

I understand the recorder can create a TOC for whatever "tracks" you create but I wonder how well that disc would play, especially on other players.

I'm going to get the bitstream(s) onto the harddrive and then us CD Architect to create the image to burn from there. (when I get around to it!)

Hey Timbre4:
Why is that hard to visualize? it's played back that way, besides, even if you copy a file from your hard drive, it's laid down on the disc as a continuos bitstream. It has to be, or it wouldn't work. It's just done very quickly on a computer. In a CD recorder, it's done in real time like a phonograph record is recorded. Anyway it does work.

The Quadfather

The playback part's quite obvious; yeah it's a continous spiral. It's the TOC element I'm hung up on; if that doesn't function (or gets damaged) you can play none of the disc. It's what makes a disc universal; first thing is to read the TOC and cue up to track 1; can't read it? Show's over.

Since it's my birthday, I've cleared the decks to finish a few projects tonight and the DTS 610 encoding is next in line. By recording the bitstream in SoundForge on a PC, it doesn't matter if it's output is 48K, 44.1K, 32K, etc because I can force the end product to be 44.1K and burn that.

The playback part's quite obvious; yeah it's a continous spiral. It's the TOC element I'm hung up on; if that doesn't function (or gets damaged) you can play none of the disc. It's what makes a disc universal; first thing is to read the TOC and cue up to track 1; can't read it? Show's over.

Since it's my birthday, I've cleared the decks to finish a few projects tonight and the DTS 610 encoding is next in line. By recording the bitstream in SoundForge on a PC, it doesn't matter if it's output is 48K, 44.1K, 32K, etc because I can force the end product to be 44.1K and burn that.

Hey, Happy Birthday Tim! Hope you had/are having a great day.

Thanks, man. Have had a surround day indeed. Started with a Porcupine Tree listening binge til 2am. :)

1. Posted to BecauseSoundMatters.com several times for the DVD-A cause
2. Put Sony 200 CD Changer on-line for DTS duties; loaded about 125 discs, peeling some of those wicked labels proactively before playing
3. DTS610 project is now working! Misplaced the manual but am listening to a stream recorded in Sound Forge being decoded by the Denon.

Was headscratching for about 90 mintes but now happy again!

Gee, it does work. LOL

Creative Labs DTS610 output is 44.1K straight into SoundForge 44.1K session and saved. There is an occasional drop which I fault this PC's hard drive on or just the PC's less than 100% dedication to maintaining throughput. Should be fine once burned to disc.

No rate conversions required so that's a plus. It's nice to finally know....

Gee, it does work. LOL

Creative Labs DTS610 output is 44.1K straight into SoundForge 44.1K session and saved. There is an occasional drop which I fault this PC's hard drive on or just the PC's less than 100% dedication to maintaining throughput. Should be fine once burned to disc.

No rate conversions required so that's a plus. It's nice to finally know....

Thanks a bunch for the update!!
Good to know that it's a 44.1K output and should work for me.
I ordered one today.

vinylguy4

I believe the TOC is written as one of the final steps in the recording process. It would have to be that way, otherwise how would the recorder know what to write?

The Quadfather

Yes that is an obvious last step to insure navigation. So you dump in an entire DTS bitstream to the CD recorder, do you then decide the track splitting or are you that far along?

No, I have just ordered my DTS610. It's still in the mail. My remarks constitute an educated guess.

The Quadfather

Back