Ben Craven - Last Chance to Hear (BluRay Limited Release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered the "Last Chance To Hear" 5.1 & 2.0 BD-R and you get a download, I went for the 2.0 FLAC, no 5.1 download.

Hi all - yes I've just made a BD-R available of the live album launch show from almost a year ago now.

To paraphrase what's on the Bandcamp page, I'm calling it an "official bootleg" because (a) it's a small-run BD-R and (b) some of the camerawork and lighting isn't completely perfect.

I did perform on the night to a basic backing track (drums, bass, keys) but have remixed all those elements into 5.1 24-48 LPCM. (24-96 LPCM didn't quite fit on the disc and DTS-HD MA wasn't an option.) There's also a 24-96 stereo stream plus Dolby digital alternatives. There were (by design) fewer elements to work with than typical for a surround mix, so it's fairly simple with drum, bass and live instruments closer to the front, pre-recorded keys towards the back, and ambience all around.

I've tried these Verbatim BD-Rs on three brands of blu-ray players I own and there were no problems. I am mindful however there can always be compatibility issues with recordable media, so if anyone who is kind enough to purchase one has any problems, please let me know of course. I'm very keen to see if BD-R is a viable delivery option going forward for future surround remixes. I'd suggest that, given the life of recordable media is anyone's guess these days, you make a backup for your own purposes. (I sure wish I'd done that for my Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion blu-ray.)

Thank you for allowing me to post the link here!
https://bencraven.bandcamp.com/album/first-chance-to-hear

Trailer with example video:
https://youtu.be/PrCY4Nb0g_E

Hi all - yes I've just made a BD-R available of the live album launch show from almost a year ago now.

To paraphrase what's on the Bandcamp page, I'm calling it an "official bootleg" because (a) it's a small-run BD-R and (b) some of the camerawork and lighting isn't completely perfect.

I did perform on the night to a basic backing track (drums, bass, keys) but have remixed all those elements into 5.1 24-48 LPCM. (24-96 LPCM didn't quite fit on the disc and DTS-HD MA wasn't an option.) There's also a 24-96 stereo stream plus Dolby digital alternatives. There were (by design) fewer elements to work with than typical for a surround mix, so it's fairly simple with drum, bass and live instruments closer to the front, pre-recorded keys towards the back, and ambience all around.

I've tried these Verbatim BD-Rs on three brands of blu-ray players I own and there were no problems. I am mindful however there can always be compatibility issues with recordable media, so if anyone who is kind enough to purchase one has any problems, please let me know of course. I'm very keen to see if BD-R is a viable delivery option going forward for future surround remixes. I'd suggest that, given the life of recordable media is anyone's guess these days, you make a backup for your own purposes. (I sure wish I'd done that for my Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion blu-ray.)

Thank you for allowing me to post the link here!
https://bencraven.bandcamp.com/album/first-chance-to-hear

Trailer with example video:
https://youtu.be/PrCY4Nb0g_E
Hi Ben, nice work. I will order from the bandcamp site. For any future surround release that you do, I am personally fine with just a download of hi res stereo and surround flac files. I understand that for people who are disc based, a bd-r or dvd-r will be a good option.

I have Craven's Two False idols, and I love it. However, I don't see anything on the links in this thread for a 5.1 of First Chance to Hear. Am I missing something?
Looks like the 5.1 FLAC is still available if you click on Merch. The disc was available a few years ago.

Hey guys - really appreciate the shout-out. Thanks so much, and hope everyone is safe and well.

Don't think less of me, but G&TP was recorded on Windows XP using Cubase and I never actually archived audio stems, so I've been worried about retrieving it for a long time now. Oddly enough, the PC is fine but the original audio interface (which was also a dongle for some of the effects plugins) has packed up halfway through the extraction. I'm having to recreate some of the sounds by ear, but no biggie.

The BD-R of "First Chance To Hear" has disappeared from my store for a while since Australia Post is restricting international postage services. But all physical will be back soon.

This is actually an exercise in archiving all my albums, so I'll be producing 5.1 (re)mixes of everything, mainly for my own benefit, but will be absolutely delighted if anyone else is interested.

Hey guys - really appreciate the shout-out. Thanks so much, and hope everyone is safe and well.

Don't think less of me, but G&TP was recorded on Windows XP using Cubase and I never actually archived audio stems, so I've been worried about retrieving it for a long time now. Oddly enough, the PC is fine but the original audio interface (which was also a dongle for some of the effects plugins) has packed up halfway through the extraction. I'm having to recreate some of the sounds by ear, but no biggie.

The BD-R of "First Chance To Hear" has disappeared from my store for a while since Australia Post is restricting international postage services. But all physical will be back soon.

This is actually an exercise in archiving all my albums, so I'll be producing 5.1 (re)mixes of everything, mainly for my own benefit, but will be absolutely delighted if anyone else is interested.
Hi Ben, thanks for dropping by. Great to see you back on the multichannel front. We are interested in any 5.1 work from your side :)

Hey @BenCraven, just got turned on to your music via QQ and downloaded the 5.1 of both Idols and Monsters from IAA; looking forward to digging in! Completist that I am, I'm wondering if there's any chance Last Chance To Hear could end up on there as well for download? (that'd be awesome, although if not that, any word on physical copies being available at some point again?)

Thanks in advance—keep on keepin' on!

Hi @RustyStatic thanks for the shout out!

I did release an "official bootleg" 5.1 live recording and video of the "Last Chance To Hear" album launch, entitled "First Chance To Hear". The blu-ray authoring had compatibility issues for about 10% of customers unfortunately, so I withdrew it.

Jonathan at Immersive Audio Album has suggested making it available as an MKV, so that might be a good idea.

This is the video (stereo) if you're interested:

When the dust settles on "Monsters From The Id", I'll be remixing "Last Chance To Hear" (already underway) and "Potions" into 5.1, or Atmos if I can, or just quad!

Hi @RustyStatic thanks for the shout out!

I did release an "official bootleg" 5.1 live recording and video of the "Last Chance To Hear" album launch, entitled "First Chance To Hear". The blu-ray authoring had compatibility issues for about 10% of customers unfortunately, so I withdrew it.

Jonathan at Immersive Audio Album has suggested making it available as an MKV, so that might be a good idea.

This is the video (stereo) if you're interested:

When the dust settles on "Monsters From The Id", I'll be remixing "Last Chance To Hear" (already underway) and "Potions" into 5.1, or Atmos if I can, or just quad!

Excellent, on all counts—thanks for the reply, Ben! Be well.

Back