Ben Folds Concerto for Piano and Orchestra DTS-CD??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beauty! Great find and thanks for the heads up @ogrequad. Ordered as well! At New West right now they’re like “what the hell is going on with this weird Ben Folds disc flying off the shelves?”
Well I just hope, this actually goes through for folks and it’s not an old Monster Music scenario for those surround titles like “6 String Theory”; that showed on their site for years without any actually in stock.

Nice find Ross.

Bullmoose's website recognizes that barcode number, but says out of stock, un-orderable. It was by luck that you stumbled upon that.
I've spent hours walking the isles at various Bullmoose looking at spines of cases and for unusual packaging, searching out overlooked
surround releases. Surprises are always fun!

And the best part? I spent a whopping $3.97 on it - and it was sealed!
Wow ogrequad, how'd you get it so cheap? ..I see it for $12 plus shipping at New West Records.
$12 plus shipping is still a good price though.
So I also just placed an order at New West Records for this one...

RustyStatic- you are right, New West is going to wonder what's going on with all the sudden interest regarding this title!

Last edited:
I was going to ask what specifically sold for $12, then I SQUINTED and say the DTS logo. Really downplayed what it is and no mention of a DTS decoder required; wonder how many were returned by clueless consumers?

Ordered - out the door for $20.32 with tax and license. :)

Nice find Ross.

Bullmoose's website recognizes that barcode number, but says out of stock, un-orderable. It was by luck that you stumbled upon that.
I've spent hours walking the isles at various Bullmoose looking at spines of cases and for unusual packaging, searching out overlooked
surround releases. Surprises are always fun!

Yeah, the Bull Moose gods were smiling on me that day for sure! Even the guy who checked me out was impressed.

It arrived today and I'm happy to announce it's "real"! :D Does indeed play in 5.1 and sounds great; and I created it on Discogs for us Type A nerds:

https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Folds-Concerto-For-Piano-And-Orchestra/release/17975614
So do you know for sure yet what format the disc is in (don't understand how it could be a CD with that kind of data on it?)
* maybe like this dts CD but in a higher res. way?
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-And-Wings-Band-On-The-Run/release/13940116

So do you know for sure yet what format the disc is in (don't understand how it could be a CD with that kind of data on it?)

I have to say, I'm pretty baffled by it. There's no mention of the format one way or the other on slipcase or the disc itself, and on the website we all know it says "CD". But it also says "DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1"... I kinda feel like this HAS to be a DVD, no? Here's a closeup of the backside of the disc for those who can interpret it:

IMG_8931.JPG

I have to say, I'm pretty baffled by it. There's no mention of the format one way or the other on slipcase or the disc itself, and on the website we all know it says "CD". But it also says "DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1"... I kinda feel like this HAS to be a DVD, no? Here's a closeup of the backside of the disc for those who can interpret it:

View attachment 64997
Do you have MakeMKV, so you can look how it reads the disc?

Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, both of my players read the disc as a CD so it has to be a DTS-CD.

It's indeed a DTS CD. I ripped it tonight and played it through Kodi. It's definitely a very nice mix and quite discrete. I enjoyed it, and now I'm wishing we'd get "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner" in surround someday.

Back