Ben Folds Concerto for Piano and Orchestra DTS-CD??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so where are they getting the HD part in dts-HD Master Audio (a kind of misrepresentation?)

DTS-HD vs. DTS-CD. I mean, it's only a difference of one letter. How significant can it be? LOL. 🤪

Mine just arrived and I've given it a listen. Despite the old-school format, it's an enjoyable listen. Discrete Scheiner mix. And the price is right.

Thanks to everyone who unearthed this!

As a marketing person these days (!), I would say the label didn't know the difference in DTS variants and the general direction was not to create a disc the 2015 Acura vehicles could not play. Take it down to DTS CD level; nobody proofed the artwork to apply the correct DTS logo.

I'm on my second listen in the car (tagged it onto the end of the 5.1 YOTC disc) and I like it. It is adventurous and reflects Ben's gifts and idiosyncrasies. I'll play it indoors eventually....

This just arrived, I will admit I am flummoxed on how to extract the multi-channel part. AnyDVD won't (for obvious reasons), nor does MakeMKV. I am open to suggestions in the Windows world.
thanks

This just arrived, I will admit I am flummoxed on how to extract the multi-channel part. AnyDVD won't (for obvious reasons), nor does MakeMKV. I am open to suggestions in the Windows world.
thanks

Remember this is a DTS CD. Here's what I did - (note that I have no idea what I'm doing, but it seemed to work).

1. Opened the disc in foobar, ripped the tracks to DTS wav files. Those files would not play in VLC or Kodi for some reason so......
2. Used Audiomuxer to decompress/decode to 5.1 WAV files. Those files worked, so......
3. Used Foobar to compress those files to FLAC.

That's how I remember getting it to work. :)

Audiomuxer will do it too, from the 'Audio Conversion' menu.

Rip the disc as standard .wav files using EAC or whatever CD ripping software you use, and then from Audiomuxer's Audio Conversion menu, 'Select Audio' and from the format dropdown there's an option, can't remember exactly what it is, but it's something like 'DTS .wav' or 'force DTS .wav'. This will make Audiomuxer understand that the files are DTS encoded, even if it can't find the DTS flag in the header.

Once you've added the files, just click FLAC from the 'Convert to' area on the side and it'll do its thing.

Back