DVD/DTS Poll Benoit, David - American Landscape [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of David Benoit - AMERICAN LANDSCAPE

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
I gave this DTS disc an 8 overall. Owning a major chunk of Benoit's recordings, I decided to get this one to compare to the stereo CD version, and to grab it before it went out of print.

This is one of Benoit's "concept" albums. On American Landscape, he attempts to create a suite of music based around Americana both old and new. In that aspect, he succeeds wonderfully. This is not a typical contemporary jazz recording, though: there are still numerous improvised solos, and Benoit's impeccable keyboard work, but there is a full orchestra behind the usual Benoit small band. Musically, it is one of my lesser favorites of Benoit's: I still like the music, but I find I'm pulling out one of his earlier CDs rather than this one. IMHO, this leans a little more toward "easy listening" than it does contemporary jazz. Regardless of that, his playing and arranging skills are impeccable. One has to admire the labor Benoit puts into each of his recordings.

The sound on the original CD is your typical 90s GRP Records sound, with the bass a bit bloated at times, and the high end a little bit hot. The DTS disc still has the same balance between instruments, but to my ears, the mix is oriented to the listener being on the podium in the middle of it all, and it is not quite as bright or boomy as the CD. When you kick the volume up on this one, you feel like you're literally in the middle of the recording session--the orchestra and combo in front of you and spilling to the sides and back of the room. A very "big" sound. You almost feel as though you're going to trip over a few mic stands with this one. :D

I would wager the music won't be to everyone's taste, but it IS good music, and it is an involving surround mix. If you can get a good deal on it, pick it up and give it a spin! (Got mine used for under $6 from an Amazon Marketplace seller... )

1 review and 3 votes?!
I'm enjoying this, though I'm not sure how much staying power it possesses. Time will tell! It is nice to have mellow stuff around.
This is upbeat, at times, soothing at others, unobtrusive mostly.

Thanks for reminding me, Mike. I just voted an 8 for a grand total of just 4 votes. Wish more GRP titles would get the surround treatment. Dutton Vocalion has recently graced us with some wonderful Stereo SACDs from the GRP Jazz catalogue, though, with Dave Valentin [flautist] and the wonderful vocalist Angela Bofill .... hope more are forthcoming.

This remains one of my favorite DTS GRP releases:

515xY7-2-PL.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me, Mike. I just voted an 8 for a grand total of just 4 votes. Wish more GRP titles would get the surround treatment. Dutton Vocalion has recently graced us with some wonderful Stereo SACDs from the GRP Jazz catalogue, though, with Dave Valentin [flautist] and the wonderful vocalist Angela Bofill .... hope more are forthcoming.

This remains one of my favorite DTS GRP releases:

515xY7-2-PL.jpg
I've got his Two for the Road and I like it a bunch!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back