HiRez Poll Benson, George - BREEZIN' [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of George Benson - BREEZIN'

• Total voters
I just picked up the DVD-A on the cheap second-hand. Apologies if this has been covered already, but what went wrong with this disc? In comparison to the stereo layer, the 5.1 mix sounds like it was sourced from a generational tape dub. The rhythm section sounds flat and devoid of any excitement, I had to bring up my center speaker 8-10 dB just to get the bass guitar back in the mix at proper level. I also noticed there's quite a bit more tape hiss in the stereo versus the 5.1 remix, maybe overuse of noise reduction on the digitized multitrack is the culprit?

i'm not sure what was going on with the DVD-A and all that reverb etc, i always rather enjoyed it despite its shortcomings, its my cuppa musical tea.. but i'm playing the AF SACD in MCh at the moment and mindful of Dave saying on here in (2015!) the tambourine was coming out of Rear Left on the title track and how it was splashy on the DVD-A etc., i was astonished to find the tambourine crisp in the Centre Back on the SACD..!! so i wonder if more may have been done to the AF SACD's Surround tracks than was previously thought/suggested?

Back