Bernard Herrman, "The Film Scores"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite possible the transfer you received was faulty and was since corrected. Here are other reviewer's comment from HDTT tracks and BTW, HDTT does publish negative reviews, when warranted: https://www.highdeftapetransfers.co...uble-orchestra-ormandy-philadelphia-orchestra

If your track lengths match what I posted from foobar200 above, then you have a bad transfer. I have both the BD-A and the download and they are both bad. I double dipped because I wanted to see if they had corrected it in the download recently. I wanted to give HDTT a chance to respond privately, but it has been long enough; so I posted a comment to their site today.

Since HDTT does offer digital downloads in many formats [DSD, FLAC, WAV, etc], I'm sure they would've caught a faulty transfer by now because my BD~A is faultless with stunning discrete surround engagement.

They haven't corrected it yet. I just bought the download last week to check and it's still bad and I really can't understand why you don't hear the problem. Check your track lengths and see if they match those published on the back of the Q4 - you may be unpleasantly surprised. My transfer of the Q4 has more hiss, but at least the track lengths match the back of the box.

Mods and all: I'd love to see the issue that 4EW & sukothai are discussing get resolved--by HDDT and/or by additional independent detective work and comparison--but I wonder if it doesn't deserve its own thread. In the end, there might be more people interested in (and ready to contribute to) a discussion of that topic than in Herrmann's The Film Scores, but they wouldn't necessarily know to look for it here!

If your track lengths match what I posted from foobar200 above, then you have a bad transfer. I have both the BD-A and the download and they are both bad. I double dipped because I wanted to see if they had corrected it in the download recently. I wanted to give HDTT a chance to respond privately, but it has been long enough; so I posted a comment to their site today.

They haven't corrected it yet. I just bought the download last week to check and it's still bad and I really can't understand why you don't hear the problem. Check your track lengths and see if they match those published on the back of the Q4 - you may be unpleasantly surprised. My transfer of the Q4 has more hiss, but at least the track lengths match the back of the box.

Very strange indeed. I played it at a very robust level through my Meridian 861 v.6 pre/pro utilizing an OPPO BDP~105 with a Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cable and it really sounded superb. Believe me, if the pitch WAS off, I'd certainly hear it as I'm very sensitive to pitch variances. The massed strings and horns, where pitch deviances would be most apparent, were fine. In the old days of Open Reel collecting, I did return quite a few Reels because of level imbalances/drop~outs but rarely had one that was seriously off pitch...if ever....pre~recorded Cassettes, YES. And the other HDTT reviews of this particular transfer make NO illusions to it being off pitch.

A real head scratcher, IMO.

As an aside, I used to be accused of speaking too fast and then I adopted the quip "Maybe you're listening too slowly."

Last edited:
Back