Best concert surround recording?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, folks! Just want to pick your collective brain. What do you consider to be the best live/concert recording in 5.1 or 4.0? Does not need to be an audio release, video/DVD works fine for me.

all the best/serenity now

Roy Orbison - Black & White Night (Make sure to get the original version with the Elliot Scheiner mix)
Pink Floyd - At Pompeii (version found in the Early Years and Obfusc/ation sets)

The following titles are all mixed by Elliot Scheiner and are quite nice:

Eagles - Farewell Tour
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Electric Light Orchestra - Zoom Tour

I think the Allman Brothers Band Live At Fillmore East is really good, only the DTS version.
R-10824307-1558291129-1537.jpeg.jpg

Cannot go wrong generally with the Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson live bluray options.

The Roy Orbison Black and White Night bluray certainly is awesome.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, of course. David Byrne's American Utopia.

I personally like a range of live blurays but many underutilise the surrounds... eg. The Cure - Curation; Cold Chisel - The Live Tapes Volume 1; Midnight Oil - Armistice Day. That Sepultura one is interesting.

This is sending me back to the recordings... so many greats. Check the polls as well? :)

My latest ear worm. Great audio:

Lee Ritenour - Overtime (2011) BDV (5.1 DTS-HDMA)

Preview on YouTube is just a taster: You have to see this in HD and listen to 5.1 DTS-HDMA

Really a very good discrete surround mix of a live concert. Not only ambience on the rears, but much of discrete sounds there!
I confirm that the audio quality is gorgeous

Roy Orbison - Black & White Night (Make sure to get the original version with the Elliot Scheiner mix)
Pink Floyd - At Pompeii (version found in the Early Years and Obfusc/ation sets)

The following titles are all mixed by Elliot Scheiner and are quite nice:

Eagles - Farewell Tour
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Electric Light Orchestra - Zoom Tour
Hell yes! Zoom Tour and The Dance. Old school, but a total blast. Just super....

The Guess Who "Live at the Paramount", could have, should have been the best concert surround recording. "The Best Of The Guess Who: Volume II" contains a quad mix of "Runnin' Back To Saskatoon". It's more of an on stage type mix rather than an in the audience mix and sounds fantastic! Wouldn't it be great if if the entire album had been done but just hadn't got released!

Sadly I think that to be unlikely as all/most tracks on that best of volume II were remixed separately and differently than the original quads.

Back