Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Vinyl nuts

My turntable (Technics 120, SME arm and my beloved ADC ZLM cartridge) has been banished to be neatly tucked away in a cabinet for the last few years with crap access to even open its lid, so in consequence I never played the thing! Well I finally busted it out onto a separate table so I can enjoy life again.

Only problem is the f#$!ing clicks and pops in my vinyls that have only ever been played once - straight onto my Nakamichi ZX7 with HiCom noise reduction onto TDK SAX tape. OK I can use my declicker given to me by RustyandI or some software but that's no fun.

So here is part 1 of my solution - WOOD GLUE. I will peal it off tomorrow hopefully along with the clicks.

Goodby Yellow Brick Road Clicks!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 50621
I did it on some old 45s a friend gave me and it works as long as the clicks are caused by debris in the grooves.

wax he label and hit the groves with yer power washer
or maybe one of them canned air keyboard cleaners with the narrow straw

Pilgrims progress

Its like watching glue dry! Last night it was still moist - see photo. I also installed two cloth tags to assist with the peal off process. Pealed it off this morning and all is good, I hope to try it out tonight time permitting..........................................................................

IMG_20200505_150924.jpg

Last edited:
Pilgrims progress

Its like watching glue dry! Last night it was still moist - see photo. I also installed two cloth tags to assist with the peal off process. Pealed it off this morning and ll is good, I hope to try it out tonight time permitting..........................................................................

View attachment 50679
That's a lot a glue! And wouldn't the strips be between the glue and the record? :)

Dear All

The result was around a 50% reduction of clicks an pops and less of the really nasty ones. Next on the weekend I will add the SEA declicker given to be by RustyandI and see how the combination go. At least the LP is now listenable which it was not before. Yes it was worth it. Might even now try washing it in the sink and see if that helps more as Blackdog suggests.

Hmmmm

WD40??????????????????

WD-40..!? Chucky...!!?? that's yuck-a-roo!! 🤮

a mate of mine swore by lighter fluid to clean his LPs. my response; a similarly incredu-edu-luscious "reeeaaaaalllllyyyyy..?" 🧐

all that nonsense will surely gunk up your records all the more, you want something that will lift the shit out of the grooves not pump more crap in!

i'd say if you're gonna be playing a lot
of vinyl through your gorgeous gizmo its worth investing in a decent electro-mechanical RCM that wets the 12-incher and sucks all the gunge out while it spins around and aaa-arouuuuuunnnddddd.

its what i've done on hundreds of records that have then been miraculously processed into the most marvellous 4-channel sound by your glorious wee Surround Master invention!

cheers to you and all at Involve HQ! 🍻
happy spinning 🥳

I wash mine in the sink. Much cheaper, works well.
lint free towels, allow plenty of drying time.
avoid soaking label as much as possible.

I do that with every LP I get. I use a small hand brush and dish soap. Scrub lightly following the grooves, rinse then rinse again with distilled water.
Ditto on the label. Dry with a lint free towel.

I do that with every LP I get. I use a small hand brush and dish soap. Scrub lightly following the grooves, rinse then rinse again with distilled water.
Ditto on the label. Dry with a lint free towel.
Have you compared before and after??

I note in the clip with the crazy Asian guy who really has no idea to keep his waxy fingers off the tracks that after the was there was zero difference but after the dreaded WD40 the clicks had vanished. Interesting

Have you compared before and after??

I note in the clip with the crazy Asian guy who really has no idea to keep his waxy fingers off the tracks that after the was there was zero difference but after the dreaded WD40 the clicks had vanished. Interesting

Yes I have. I only read about the glue technique shortly after receiving the above mentioned 45s so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I first played the test disc to confirm that it sounded as bad as I expected and the proceeded with the treatment.
Because the test disc was scratch free and just dirty the result was remarkable. I can't say I've ever used glue on any LPs because I've
always been very careful about handling (hey Asian guy, fingers off!) and caring for my vinyl in the 50+:eek: years I've been collecting.
As far as WD40, I've never heard of that - sounds like an oily mess to me.

Back