Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intersex....
Speaking of which, it's amazing what you can buy on audiophile sites:

Mini Gender Changer.jpg

Even at the height of the quad era CD-4 was, to put it politely, very very niche. Fifty years on, what is the residue of that once tiny market for a new hardware demodulator? Vanishingly small I’d suggest (and probably too small to measure). I certainly wouldn’t risk any development money if I had a consumer electronics company on such a venture. There’s also the huge additional problem (for both developer and end user) that there’s no generally available cartridge and stylus system available to pair it with.

The above post is almost as true for all the other quadrophonic formats as it is for CD4 even if the absolute quantities may be somewhat greater for matrices.
The number of Quad R2R, 8 Track cartridges and people with proper decoders is small even if greater than CD4.
That is why I hope people will rip all their content to digital before their players and media become unuseable, or their heirs don't have a clue what to make of them and leave them for the house cleaner-uppers to throw into the landfill.

IMHO, the best option for dealing with aging hardware decoders for any and all types surround sound is to develop software decoders (w/logic if appropriate) [ideally for Windows, but also other OSs that can work w/virtual machines w/Windows].

Could have software decoders for accurate decoding for DynaQuad, Stereo-4, Shure StereoSurround, Circle Surround, Matrix H, UHJ and all of the other obscure matrix systems.

(maybe license the SM logic for a software SM QS/SQ decoder)

Kirk Bayne

or their heirs don't have a clue what to make of them and leave them for the house cleaner-uppers to throw into the landfill.
While my heirs truly appreciate my surround system, how it presents the music, the awesome looking vintage gear and respect the passion and joy for me, they are very content walking around with a single earbud in their ear all day long...even after fully understanding that they are only getting a portion of the artists' intended audio experience.

Hopefully your heirs are more likely to be interested. I always preach to them....don't ever burden your lives with my dreams....once I'm gone....so it goes.

they are very content walking around with a single earbud in their ear all day long...even after fully understanding that they are only getting a portion of the artists' intended audio experience.
I'd been wondering for a while why mixes these days never seem to pan anything hard left or hard right. Perhaps it's so people listening with only one earbud don't lose something completely. But it makes the mix even more inside the head than a full width stereo mix would be, and I find the "in the head" soundstage very alien.

Its a mini heart attack either a burst vein (not artery) similar to a cut finger- not deadly or actual turbulent oscillation of the cardiac arteries that reduces the blood flow - again not deadly. Apparently this is all being researched at the moment. There was nothing to see just the evidence of some cardiac tissue damage in the blood test. The blood test for most people will have a reading of say 20 and steady, if you are having a heart attack the reading will be around 2000 and increasing over time. Mine was 200, 190 and then 185. Indicating a minor event with the possibility of a artery blockage, so they had to do the invasive test of angiograph that puts tubes into your arteries and squirts radio active die in under x ray so you can actually see any obstructions. You are totally awake for this.

In the end they could not find any issues with my ticker- but something did happen to damage its tissue.

oh my motivation to go to emergency was a 2/10 mild pain dead center behind the sternum lasting for 1 hour - no radiating pain to my left arm. Felt silly going there.
Dear Quadies

Just to confirm I have now had 2 more readings of the possibility of a heart attack - called the Troponin test. It measures evidence of tissue death associated with a heat attack. It seems that mine is permanently around 200. Normal is say 30 and a heat attack is somewhere North of that up to say 2000. It is thought its the result of a lot of very heavy weight lifting and pushing to well beyond failure (called heavy Duty- see Dorian Yates or Mike Mentzer). Its also experienced in marathon runners.

in short my pipes are clear and I did not have a heart attack but the angiogram did cause a stroke!

Last edited:
Dear Quadies

Just to confirm I have now had 2 more readings of the possibility of a heart attack - called the Troponin test. It measures evidence of tissue death associated with a heat attack. It seems that mine is permanently around 200. Normal is say 30 and a heat attack is somewhere North of that up to say 2000. It is thought its the result of a lot of very heavy weight lifting and pushing to well beyond failure (called heavy Duty- see Dorian Yates or Mike Mentzer). Its also experienced in marathon runners.

in short my pipes are clear and I did not have a heart attack but the angiogram did cause a stroke!
Hardly a laughing matter, Chucky, but lucky you weren't hooked up to those machines via HDMI!

Glad you're feeling CHIPPER!

Dear Quadies

Since you can respond on QQ, it seems like the stroke wasn’t too bad. At least I hope so. My dad had strokes, and it took an incredible toll. I’d stay away from Angie O’Gram in the future.

Dear Quadies

Chucky, you’re not supposed to be doing the heavy lifting; that’s why you hired the Bitch!

Cut the BS and get crankin' on the SM V.4 with HDMI IN/OUT!

Or will it be called CHARLES IV? LOL!
Actually I sorta am

My dear ol dads name was Charles Fredrick Buckland
His Dads name was Charles Fredrick Buckland
My grand fathers name was .....you guessed it Charles Buckland
My father had a half Bother ....his name was Charles Buckland

Nearly as original as George Foremans family

So I am a Charles the IV. Hate Charles.....call me Chucky, Chuck, Chilla , Chaz, Charlie, hey you any thing else!

Back