Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been living with severe osteoarthritis in my right knee for years, and am going to need knee replacement, too. Hang in there, Chucky! Get well fast!
It's not fun, my operation got delayed by nearly a year through multiple reasons, so in the last 6 weeks I have given up fast walking, been doing stairs one at a time slowly. Lots of pain.

The partial knee bolt on on my right hand side has been fantastic and feels totally real. I had a rough night with lots of pain last night and the stretching exercises you have to do are also very painful. But when you can definately do it, get multiple quotes and if the wear is only on one side consider a partial replacement

It's not fun, my operation got delayed by nearly a year through multiple reasons, so in the last 6 weeks I have given up fast walking, been doing stairs one at a time slowly. Lots of pain.

The partial knee bolt on on my right hand side has been fantastic and feels totally real. I had a rough night with lots of pain last night and the stretching exercises you have to do are also very painful. But when you can definately do it, get multiple quotes and if the wear is only on one side consider a partial replacement
Mine will be covered by insurance, which helps. I thought Australia had universal Healthcare. No?

Mine will be covered by insurance, which helps. I thought Australia had universal Healthcare. No?
Yes we do but is really a messy mix of universal care and private. Way back in 1974 when it was created it was universal then through multiple changes of government and attacks from the insurance companies it was watered down to the current mix. Most things can get done for zero outlay (you pay your taxes!) so if you are in a car accident , heat attack. cancer and general stuff, its "free". But in non emergency stuff there can be time delays and you may not get the treatment from the quack you wanted.

My 3 heart ablations were done on the public system- walk in -walk out no paper work same for the multiple visits to casualty I have made over the years but for both my bicep reattachment's it was not covered as it is not considered a serious condition that your biceps are unattached! So I had to go to a greedy overcharging private quack.

Similar with my knees, I could get a full replacement for zero cash in the public system but in my view I needed a partial replacement as the wear was only on the inside portions. The partial replacement was not covered by the "universal" health care system and also I wanted the robotic surgery) that's way more accurate, again that was not covered- hence the AUD$25,000 fee

Incidentally I was informed by my knee quack (he did not tell me at the time) that I was the first patient in Australia 4 years ago to get a Mako robot partial knee replacement......and it was his first time! He did a perfect job I must say.

I had full health insurance 35 years ago but as I found out in 9 years of legals the medical records are the property of the private doctor . In the public system you can get access to them via the freedom of information act. Ever since then I have been happily uninsured and probably saved $50,000 overall -even though I am medically accident prone

OK surroundophiles

Chucky is up and about in the dog park, hey note how my legs are straight, you cannot use them as a bow anymore!!

Attachments

• 20211128_122614.jpg
    20211128_122614.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 137
Looks like my legs are finally the same length, I have been 2 cm shorter on my left hand side since my last right knee replacement around 4 years ago.

I am a train wreck
Whoa, wait a minute... have you worn out a prior knee replacement, partial or full? My grandmother had that happen, but the first replacement lasted twenty years or more before she had it re-replaced in her 90's!

Whoa, wait a minute... have you worn out a prior knee replacement, partial or full? My grandmother had that happen, but the first replacement lasted twenty years or more before she had it re-replaced in her 90's!
Nup, I first had my right knee replaced 4 years ago as it was the worst. Ever since my right leg has been 2 cm longer than my left as the rights length was restored. Since then my left has continued to wear down. Pleased to say they are both the same now and I am probably closer to my 20 year old height.

"Leg length discrepancy" is one of the surgical risks with knee replacement. Actually hip replacement too.
Especially when having them done one at a time.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2911931/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4536512/
Actually that was an interesting report and my 2 cm is close to the mean discrepancy. That is one of the reasons I wanted the robotic procedure as it's all 3d cad and precise. My legs feel really balanced now. For 4 years I had 1 cm taken out of one boot and 1 cm added to the left one to balance me up. Now, new set of boots time.

Previously before the 3d cad you were left to the judgment of your surgeon. I have spoken to many with really poor outcomes even after several years recovery.

Most people only get one side done at a time on knees hips and cataracts. But some folks demand to get it all over with.
It is very important in surgical outcomes as well as everything else in life, to be lucky. The luckier the better.

Nup, I first had my right knee replaced 4 years ago as it was the worst. Ever since my right leg has been 2 cm longer than my left as the rights length was restored. Since then my left has continued to wear down. Pleased to say they are both the same now and I am probably closer to my 20 year old height.
Hmmm, there's a Zappa quote in there... "One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long"... 😛

Back