Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and yes. It should just pull apart. I could get an eval board programmed with SQ
Hi Chucky - I've a question for you please. How do I get my original SM v1 apart?! I would like to build it's decoder pcb into an old Sony SQD-2020 and make use of the latter's metering, but I don't want to damage it in the process. There are three crews underneath which I assume fix the PCB in place but I don't see any way of getting the top cover off without using brute force. Is it just clipped on and is there some particular trick to releasing it? Thanks.

(Actually it would be a much easier job if you could supply your evaluation boards with SQ decoding, but I don't suppose you do that do you ?)

I am considering the same modification, but with my Pioneer QL-600a. (Its decoding does not stack up againt the Sony ..)

Are your plans to do away with the Sony's rear preamp abilities?

I am considering the same modification, but with my Pioneer QL-600a. (Its decoding does not stack up againt the Sony ..)

Are your plans to do away with the Sony's rear preamp abilities?

I will do my best to make you look like a fool

Huh.... Please explain?????
I think that what he is getting at is the Sony SQD-2020 has built in tone controls for the back channels. That was done as it was assumed that you would start off with a stereo amplifier or receiver and add the decoder along with an amplifier that may well lack tone controls.

I placed my module inside my (similar) SQD-2010 wired to the discrete input. The original decoder still functions. The Involve feeds the tone controls and output buffer amplifier. You can compare Involve to the original Sony at the push of a button. I have the evaluation modules. I started out with the QS Involve module then switched if for the SQ version for comparison. I might put the QS back in or maybe connect it to the four channel tape input. Or install it into my QS1 decoder box!

Those evaluation modules are a great value, if they are still available?

Yes, and yes. Exactly what I was endeavoring to do.
I'm torn between modifying my Pioneer decoder or waiting for a Involve preamp.

I think that what he is getting at is the Sony SQD-2020 has built in tone controls for the back channels. That was done as it was assumed that you would start off with a stereo amplifier or receiver and add the decoder along with an amplifier that may well lack tone controls.

I placed my module inside my (similar) SQD-2010 wired to the discrete input. The original decoder still functions. The Involve feeds the tone controls and output buffer amplifier. You can compare Involve to the original Sony at the push of a button. I have the evaluation modules. I started out with the QS Involve module then switched if for the SQ version for comparison. I might put the QS back in or maybe connect it to the four channel tape input. Or install it into my QS1 decoder box!

Those evaluation modules are a great value, if they are still available?
Thanks. Yes we have some evaluation modules.

Dave is being a bit slow on the video, he is bogged down on the mini preamp (will do ). He tells me that many of the cases had a dab of glue assisting the 3 screws underneath, so just undo the 3 screws and use brute force.
Thanks Chucky - that did the trick .....
MK1.JPG

I always hated that bloody plastic case....cost us $50,000

Coincidentally we have found about 10of these boards at the factory, looking for a happy home......say $200 each

I'm just wondering if anyone has installed one of those in a vehicle? All you would need is a 12-9 Volt converter, available cheaply on eBay. Patch into your 4-channel car amplifier!

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if anyone has installed one of those in a vehicle? All you would need is a 12-9 Volt converter, available cheaply on eBay. Patch into your 4-channel car amplifier!
The problem in cars is earthing and noise. You typically end up having to install isolation transformers in most ins and outs.

Having said that, yes a few people have put them in their cars with iso transformers and it sounded amazing. There are a couple of ideas in the pipeline on this front, watch this space.

Back