Best. Customers. Ever.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have these been posted before? Not that I can tell. So I ran across this randomly from the Melbourne AES:

https://www.aesmelbourne.org.au/mtg-report-feb-2021/
And don't get too bugged when the Sansui SQ system is mentioned. All else is good.

Lest we forget that @chucky3042 is good for more things than audio, I found this pretty interesting:

https://zenaji.com/inside-the-mind-of-a-genius-designer/
Hey Sonik
I see you are stalking me! I cannot escape you guys caught again.
wish they took a kinder picture of me, i look like a friggin whale.

Hey Sonik
I see you are stalking me! I cannot escape you guys caught again.
wish they took a kinder picture of me, i look like a friggin whale.
Every breath you take, very move you make, Every bond you break, Every step you take, I'll be watching you.

Anyways, in regard to the AES article, there are two charts showing decoded separation. Besides the numbers what is the functional difference between the Involve Dynamic Decode & the Smart Decode? Or did I overlook that???

Every breath you take, very move you make, Every bond you break, Every step you take, I'll be watching you.

Anyways, in regard to the AES article, there are two charts showing decoded separation. Besides the numbers what is the functional difference between the Involve Dynamic Decode & the Smart Decode? Or did I overlook that???
Wow Sonik

Not only are you just that tiny bit creepy but you caught me lying again!! I think I was in such a rush typing up the notes for the presentation that I mislabeled the headings (the day after my 3rd heart ablation)!! The table should have been:
1662679320490.png

It shows that Involve decodes QS with over 35 dB separation. But when we decode our own Involve format encode the continuous sine wave decode numbers look a bit worse. In reality, things do not happen this way because music is transient in nature and INVOLVE - INVOLVE encode/ decode will actually present the same numbers as QS encode ON MUSIC. It looks worse on continuous tone.

The big advantage of INVOLVE encode over QS encode is the stereo downmix really sounds identical to stereo. Eg the Suzanne Ciani quad release was encoded in INTELLIGENT INVOLVE.....sounds very stereo to me!!

You really are becoming my thought police!!

Wow Sonik

Not only are you just that tiny bit creepy but you caught me lying again!! I think I was in such a rush typing up the notes for the presentation that I mislabeled the headings (the day after my 3rd heart ablation)!! The table should have been:
View attachment 83243
It shows that Involve decodes QS with over 35 dB separation. But when we decode our own Involve format encode the continuous sine wave decode numbers look a bit worse. In reality, things do not happen this way because music is transient in nature and INVOLVE - INVOLVE encode/ decode will actually present the same numbers as QS encode ON MUSIC. It looks worse on continuous tone.

The big advantage of INVOLVE encode over QS encode is the stereo downmix really sounds identical to stereo. Eg the Suzanne Ciani quad release was encoded in INTELLIGENT INVOLVE.....sounds very stereo to me!!

You really are becoming my thought police!!
From messing around making my own amateur 5.1’s and Quad’s, I’m convinced that too much separation isn‘t a good thing when it comes down too the actual presentation…can sound disjointed.

With the disappearance of (original) Dolby Surround decoding (typically implemented as Dolby Pro-Logic [not II or IIx or IIz]) on new AV receives, perhaps the SM (in QS decode mode) could also be promoted as a good way to decode Dolby Surround encoded content.

There's a large quantity of Dolby Surround encoded content - most movies since the late 1970s, many TV shows since ~1990, some CDs - this content is available on Betamax/VHS HiFi prerecorded cassettes, Blu-ray/CED/DVD/LD videodiscs and now on some of the digital TV subchannels that have stereo sound and rerun Dolby Surround encoded TV shows.

If possible, please do some listening tests comparing the SM (in QS mode) and (original) Dolby Pro-Logic decoding of Dolby Surround encoded content.

One (IMHO) good source of Dolby Surround encoded content for listening tests:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000703/

Kirk Bayne

Not sure what this has to do with surround sound other than this is roughly when I really become interested in it but could not afford anything. A mate of mine (Mick top right hand in the photo ) just sent me this old high school photo in year 10 back in 1973. I was always the youngest in the class by around 2 years, I was around 14 years old. See if you can spot me with long BLACK hair.....hint the two cool looking dudes on MY RIGHT HAND SIDE were my tough guy mates
Scan.jpeg

Not sure what this has to do with surround sound other than this is roughly when I really become interested in it but could not afford anything. A mate of mine (Mick top right hand in the photo ) just sent me this old high school photo in year 10 back in 1973. I was always the youngest in the class by around 2 years, I was around 14 years old. See if you can spot me with long BLACK hair.....hint the two cool looking dudes on MY RIGHT HAND SIDE were my tough guy matesView attachment 88781
Unmistakably tall, proud and handsome and already contemplating production of the SM v.4 with an HDMI interface thereby negating use of all those RCA 'spaghetti' wires! I like my interconnects al dente!

Not sure what this has to do with surround sound other than this is roughly when I really become interested in it but could not afford anything. A mate of mine (Mick top right hand in the photo ) just sent me this old high school photo in year 10 back in 1973. I was always the youngest in the class by around 2 years, I was around 14 years old. See if you can spot me with long BLACK hair.....hint the two cool looking dudes on MY RIGHT HAND SIDE were my tough guy matesView attachment 88781
Middle row, third from the left.

Unmistakably tall, proud and handsome and already contemplating production of the SM v.4 with an HDMI interface thereby negating use of all those RCA 'spaghetti' wires! I like my interconnects al dente!
Yep, I was thinking about Halfer Dynaco definitely back then, but I also planned to be a millionaire by the age of 30!

Yep, I was thinking about Halfer Dynaco definitely back then, but I also planned to be a millionaire by the age of 30!

Well, Chucky, if it means anything, you are somewhat of a celebrity [well deserved] at QQ Forum! But my plea for HDMI is for those who don't have analogue inputs on their pre/pros [most of the new receivers sadly omit it]. I am in the process of having my Meridian 861 pre/pro upgraded to v.6 status and it has a fantastic HDMI interface which actually improves the incoming/outgoing HDMI signal. And yes, I'm the culprit who is fussy about RCA interconnects and although the Meridian does have analogue inputs, I believe it would benefit from HDMI since even those cables which everyone says all sound the same have been, IMO, vastly improved [to 8K capacity].

I know it would be an added headache and expense but I'm sure even raising the price on your mini masterpiece and including HDMI inputs/outputs would make a lot of us happy....and becoming a multi millionaire a moot point!

Well, Chucky, if it means anything, you are somewhat of a celebrity [well deserved] at QQ Forum! But my plea for HDMI is for those who don't have analogue inputs on their pre/pros [most of the new receivers sadly omit it]. I am in the process of having my Meridian 861 pre/pro upgraded to v.6 status and it has a fantastic HDMI interface which actually improves the incoming/outgoing HDMI signal. And yes, I'm the culprit who is fussy about RCA interconnects and although the Meridian does have analogue inputs, I believe it would benefit from HDMI since even those cables which everyone says all sound the same have been, IMO, vastly improved [to 8K capacity].

I know it would be an added headache and expense but I'm sure even raising the price on your mini masterpiece and including HDMI inputs/outputs would make a lot of us happy....and becoming a multi millionaire a moot point!
Working on a "cunning plan"

I thought it had been suggested DisplayPort might be a way to go, since the licencing is vastly cheaper than HDMI and you can get DP to HDMI converters.

I thought it had been suggested DisplayPort might be a way to go, since the licencing is vastly cheaper than HDMI and you can get DP to HDMI converters.
Or maybe subcontract an Asian manufacturer that already has a HDMI license to design a board for us????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Or maybe subcontract an Asian manufacturer that already has a HDMI license to design a board for us????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Just think of it as future proofing .......and you can call it THE SURROUND MISTRESS V.4 .....Get INVOLVED without the hassle!

Back