"Best of Doors" 4.0 Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hands down, the BD~A with the bonus RBCDs sounds better. Seems Audio Fidelity which paid a king's ransom for the 'Door's QUAD Masters' received the short end of the stick.

And to this day, I still believe both the Warner/Rhino MLP DVD~A 5.1 of George Benson's Breezin' and even the AF SACD QUAD 'remaster,' while improved, fail to due justice to the original recording which back in the day was considered AUDIOPHILE!

I agree with those that have stated they prefer the Singles blu-ray to the Audio Fidelity SACD. I found that as well and was kind of surprised that I preferred the blu-ray when I compared the two.

Also, the blu-ray set contains unique single mixes on cd, that as far as I'm aware, are not available elsewhere except the original 45s. That makes it a pretty essential purchase in my opinion.

And to this day, I still believe both the Warner/Rhino MLP DVD~A 5.1 of George Benson's Breezin' and even the AF SACD QUAD 'remaster,' while improved, fail to due justice to the original recording which back in the day was considered AUDIOPHILE!
I thought I read that the AF SACD really opened up that Benson album, and did it right? The AF is not a quad SACD as you know.

But it does appear that the BluRay of the Doors "Best of" did jump back to the original mixed reels for each song, AF getting the originally assembled 4-chan reel, a generation higher, and the SH mastering, which is often a bit duller rather than bright did not improve things as much as it should have.

Back