Best ORIGINAL DVD-A/SACD Surround Releases

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Yes the CD/DVD-A release was 2004. The CD launched in 00.
Great album, I agree, but that would make it a re-issue. They are looking for releases where the CD and Surround release dates are the same, or are at least within a week or two.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
When I started working with Rob Aubrey and Greg Spawton on the surround mix of Big Big Train's "Stone & Steel" I told them both that my intention was to use my substantial experience of listening to surround to advise Rob how to make the best surround mix possible. I think we succeeded. :) ...so that's my pick!

I would easily have chosen the surround mix of "Reflectors of Light" (their latest live BluRay) or any of Rob Reed's mixes (I have a particular soft spot for "The Twenty Seven Club") or Bruce's new solo album "All This Will Be Yours."

SW's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" was pretty damned ground-breaking too!

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream. An amazing achievement in every regard.
Hell yes, but it's actually a reissue - the original CD was released in 1999, while the CD/DVD-A package contained remixed stereo and 5.1 didn't come out until 2005. I think only Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident were available in surround on or sometime close to release day (and maybe Deadwing as well?).

The56Kid

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hell yes, but it's actually a reissue - the original CD was released in 1999, while the CD/DVD-A package contained remixed stereo and 5.1 didn't come out until 2005. I think only Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident were available in surround on or sometime close to release day (and maybe Deadwing as well?).
Spot on as usual, Jonathan!

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well Jon......

There are many I like, but the one I have to consider at this time is...

..Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots...

, if only for its incredible surround sound demonstration.

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Living the high life..Bungalow Ranch Style. SoCal
Thanks for the recommendation Beefalo! I didn't know this DVD-A existed it's a must-have for me. I found it still available at progrock.co.uk at a reasonable price. I saw them live back in the summer - what an experience that was! :)
Glad you were able to get hold of a copy. I found out about this while I was scouring the QQ surround polls. I had never heard Gong before. I like this more every time I listen to it.

IanProudfoot

In no particular order:
Grace for drowning
The Raven that refused to sing
Hand.Cannot.Erase
Steven Wilson
Thick as a brick 2Ian Anderson
Storm CorrosionStorm Corrosion
The ResistanceMuseThe surround mix is quite poor, but the music is worth a listen.
Songs for SilvermanBen Folds
Stone and steel
Reflectors of light
Big Big Train
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots The Flaming lips

Sprk

How about the 2 Goldfrapp surrounds, Supernature and Tales of Us. I listened to Tales the other night. Wonderful.
Fun fact: I interviewed Will during the Supernature Tour, and he told me two things I thought were interesting:
- he thought mixing audio for 5.1 was like 'stretching Swiss cheese' (as in: not enough sounds to fill the full sound scape, though to be fair this was pre-Tales of Us)
- he was adamant that Black Cherry was also mixed in 5.1, even though it was never released

Patrick Cleasby

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Fun fact: I interviewed Will during the Supernature Tour, and he told me two things I thought were interesting:
- he thought mixing audio for 5.1 was like 'stretching Swiss cheese' (as in: not enough sounds to fill the full sound scape, though to be fair this was pre-Tales of Us)
- he was adamant that Black Cherry was also mixed in 5.1, even though it was never released
I believe him. I think Simon Heyworth even mastered FM (stereo only I believe) and BC for SACD. Never came out...