Best ORIGINAL DVD-A/SACD Surround Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Since 2000, what are your favorite releases that came out day/date (or within a week or so) of their stereo counterparts.

NO REISSUES, no matter how great they were, should be considered for a response. I am talking new (at the time) stuff like the Steve Wilson albums, "Songs for Survivors", "Say You Will", "Sea Change", "Back Home", "October Road", "Love", "Peachtree Road", "Morph the Cat", etc.

Even if the surround mix is not spectacular, if you really like the music, post it anyway. For example, I find myself going back to Tom Petty's "Hypnotic Eye", even though the surround mix is a stretch, I really like most of the tunes. So we're looking for your favorite discs that you like to play to listen to, regardless of the detail of the surround.

It can be all the way up to the present, with BluRay and Audio DVD included. Just titles that were really new when they came out.
We deal in reissues very heavily when it comes to being surround fans but I'm interested in hearing what stuff you might have heard in surround that you've never bothered to play the stereo of. That kind of deal.

Heck, this will pass the time while we wait for D-V's Christmas Sleigh to get here from the North Pole! :) And "Hey, all you lurkers and industry peeps", how about posting your favorites? We need more participation here from the silent majority. Snood and fredblue are getting carpal tunnel! :eek:

I am talking new (at the time) stuff like the Steve Wilson albums, "Songs for Survivors", "Say You Will", "Sea Change", "Back Home", "October Road", "Love", "Peachtree Road", "Morph the Cat", etc.

Great choices above, though I've never been a big fan of Say You Will or October Road. Here's a few more to add - I'm pretty sure these were all available in surround from the outset (or at least in the same year as the initial stereo release), but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness
Riverside - Love, Fear & The Time Machine
Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
The Vicar - Songbook #1
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path, The Secret
Barenaked Ladies - Maroon, Are Me
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
Opeth - Pale Communion
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Wallflowers - Red Letter Days

I'm not sure how long it was between the stereo and surround releases, but Steely Dan's Two Against Nature would be my #1 "new" release

The stereo album was released in February 2000, while the DVD-A came out in October 2002.

Bon-Jovi-Have-A-Nice-Day-Deluxe-Limited.jpg

Lucky me. Finally found a reasonably priced copy. Just yesterday!
No doubt using your tried and tested method of all things come to those who wait!!
I hope you enjoy this album Mike, as much as others and I do.
No pressure eh.... :unsure: :D

I'm still upmixing, on a production line, using SpecWeb!! Roxy and ELO in surround, fantastic.

No doubt using your tried and tested method of all things come to those who wait!!
I hope you enjoy this album Mike, as much as others and I do.
No pressure eh.... :unsure: :D

I'm still upmixing, on a production line, using SpecWeb!! Roxy and ELO in surround, fantastic.

It's a toss up for me between:
Boz Scaggs - Dig
and
David Sanborn - timeagain

But overall I give an edge to the sound quality on timeagain; one of the best sounding in my entire collection.
https://www.discogs.com/David-Sanborn-Timeagain/master/43566

Back