Best ORIGINAL DVD-A/SACD Surround Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 4 pages of Concord Music original 5.1 Jazz/Popular surround titles https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=concord+records&page=1

71DTxSWU0JL._SL1240_.jpg

51aNP2Wq-xL.jpg
51T75R4H1DL.jpg
51rrq0oi3YL.jpg

great suggestions! i'm going to plough through these over the holidays and try and work out exactly which Concord's were new day & date 5.1 releases and which were reissues of old albums redone in MultiCh.

When I started working with Rob Aubrey and Greg Spawton on the surround mix of Big Big Train's "Stone & Steel" I told them both that my intention was to use my substantial experience of listening to surround to advise Rob how to make the best surround mix possible. I think we succeeded. :) ...so that's my pick!

I would easily have chosen the surround mix of "Reflectors of Light" (their latest live BluRay) or any of Rob Reed's mixes (I have a particular soft spot for "The Twenty Seven Club") or Bruce's new solo album "All This Will Be Yours."

SW's "The Raven That Refused to Sing" was pretty damned ground-breaking too!

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream. An amazing achievement in every regard.

Hell yes, but it's actually a reissue - the original CD was released in 1999, while the CD/DVD-A package contained remixed stereo and 5.1 didn't come out until 2005. I think only Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident were available in surround on or sometime close to release day (and maybe Deadwing as well?).

Hell yes, but it's actually a reissue - the original CD was released in 1999, while the CD/DVD-A package contained remixed stereo and 5.1 didn't come out until 2005. I think only Fear Of A Blank Planet and The Incident were available in surround on or sometime close to release day (and maybe Deadwing as well?).
Spot on as usual, Jonathan!

Thanks for the recommendation Beefalo! I didn't know this DVD-A existed it's a must-have for me. I found it still available at progrock.co.uk at a reasonable price. I saw them live back in the summer - what an experience that was! :)
Glad you were able to get hold of a copy. I found out about this while I was scouring the QQ surround polls. I had never heard Gong before. I like this more every time I listen to it.

In no particular order:
Grace for drowning
The Raven that refused to sing
Hand.Cannot.Erase
Steven Wilson
Thick as a brick 2Ian Anderson
Storm CorrosionStorm Corrosion
The ResistanceMuseThe surround mix is quite poor, but the music is worth a listen.
Songs for SilvermanBen Folds
Stone and steel
Reflectors of light
Big Big Train
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots The Flaming lips

How about the 2 Goldfrapp surrounds, Supernature and Tales of Us. I listened to Tales the other night. Wonderful.

Fun fact: I interviewed Will during the Supernature Tour, and he told me two things I thought were interesting:
- he thought mixing audio for 5.1 was like 'stretching Swiss cheese' (as in: not enough sounds to fill the full sound scape, though to be fair this was pre-Tales of Us)
- he was adamant that Black Cherry was also mixed in 5.1, even though it was never released

Fun fact: I interviewed Will during the Supernature Tour, and he told me two things I thought were interesting:
- he thought mixing audio for 5.1 was like 'stretching Swiss cheese' (as in: not enough sounds to fill the full sound scape, though to be fair this was pre-Tales of Us)
- he was adamant that Black Cherry was also mixed in 5.1, even though it was never released

I believe him. I think Simon Heyworth even mastered FM (stereo only I believe) and BC for SACD. Never came out...

Back