Best program for extracting FLAC on a MAC?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikomen

QQ Supporter
Hi All, I’m trying to find the best program for my MAC to extract stereo and 5.1 files in FLAC format, and the best way to transfer them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So I have a few DVD-A's that I'd like to extract the 5.1 files to my MAC at home. I'd also like to transfer those surround files to my part time summer home where I have a PC. My understanding, and maybe not true, but I had heard that the easiest way to extract and send the surround files is to transfer them in FLAC format since it is the most commonly used lossless format. Once I have the files on my computer I need a way to transfer those files to my other computer in the other house. I have a 7.2 and 7.1 system in both homes. I'm sure that may sound way to newby but advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not to be a stickler, but Mac is not an acronym. Just a name. So no need to capitalize it...

Hi All, I’m trying to find the best program for my MAC to extract stereo and 5.1 files in FLAC format, and the best way to transfer them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If you go for DVD Audio Extractor, make sure it's compatible with your Mac OS. The current version (8.3) requires Catalina, but if you have an older OS you'll have to contact them to get the 8.2 version. If upgrading your OS to Catalina, beware you might lose all your 32-bit apps in the process as Catalina doesn't support them, so it may not be worth while to do so (that was my situation with High Sierra).

If you go for DVD Audio Extractor, make sure it's compatible with your Mac OS. The current version (8.3) requires Catalina, but if you have an older OS you'll have to contact them to get the 8.2 version. If upgrading your OS to Catalina, beware you might lose all your 32-bit apps in the process as Catalina doesn't support them, so it may not be worth while to do so (that was my situation with High Sierra).
Wow... That all sounds all a bit overly complicated. Might be easier to get hold of a cheap Windows 10 laptop and install DVD-Audio Explorer... Which is free.

However, an additional software will be required to encode from lossless (lpcm) mpl to FLAC ;)

Wow... That all sounds all a bit overly complicated. Might be easier to get hold of a cheap Windows 10 laptop and install DVD-Audio Explorer... Which is free.

However, an additional software will be required to encode from lossless (lpcm) mpl to FLAC ;)

I guess if your Mac is more than 10 years old (not compatible with Catalina), it could be complicated. You'd have the same problem if you couldn't run Windows 10.

I guess if your Mac is more than 10 years old (not compatible with Catalina), it could be complicated. You'd have the same problem if you couldn't run Windows 10.
Thanks for all the help! My 1 TB MacBook Pro is less than a year old, running the newest software, Monterey 12.2.1.

Thanks for all the help! My 1 TB MacBook Pro is less than a year old, running the newest software, Monterey 12.2.1.
You should have no problem running DVDAudioExtract (DVDAE). Well worth the $30 (?) or so. When you are ready to do BluRay you will need to download MakeMKV, but for DVDs all you need is DVDAE.

Here is an older primer from what used-to-be computeraudiophile.com (when did that change?)

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/how-to-rip-dvd-audio-dvd-video-audio-and-hdad-discs/

To extract from a DVD-Audio to FLAC, your best bet is "DVD Audio Extractor"

https://www.dvdae.com
Probably a thread or two here on it's best use.

I've used DVD Audio Extractor on my Mac exclusively and I am very pleased with it. Highly recommended.

Not to be a stickler, but Mac is not an acronym. Just a name. So no need to capitalize it...
It's an abbreviation of a proper noun, that's why the first letter is capitalised.
Mac is short for a Macintosh computer or a waterproof raincoat.
BA.2 is short for the prevalent sub-variant of the coronavirus or Todd Bowles.

Not really... Even laptops running versions of Windows 98, 2000, Me or XP can support DVD-Audio Explorer.

I was just saying that there was nothing unique to the Mac version requiring a certain release of MacOS. The same is true for Windows (and the latest version says requires Windows 10 64-bit). Just as you can get an early version of DVDAE for earlier versions of MacOS, I'm sure you can do the same for Windows.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.17.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.17.42 PM.png
    628.8 KB · Views: 24
Back