Best Quad Reel-to-Reel Deck?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, do most commercial quad reels use Dolby NR? I suppose it would be nice to have that built in to the deck. External quad units are rare as hen's teeth, and I'd rather not have to use two stereo units.
One thing to consider is that Dolby B is basically a simple treble rolloff, and some folks I know are starting to emulate it with software. I've recently done some transfers of reels that MIGHT have Dolby B on them and they sound fine "as is", and knowing that I got a stable transfer means I can do it later one way or another.

What is the ne plus ultra of quad reel-to-reel decks? What are the runner-ups?

I'm looking to expand my collection into quad reels, and I want to put my best foot forward when it comes to playback. I'd love to also be able to use the deck as a 4-track recorder in my home studio for those clients looking to get that authentic tape sound. Ideally, that means 10.5" reel compatibility plus a 15 IPS (and maybe even 30 IPS?) speed option, as well as 7.5 IPS for commercial quad reels, with 3.75 IPS being least important. Unless, that is, there are desirable 3.75 IPS quad reels out there that I'm unaware of? I'm new to reels, so please feel free to educate me!
I'd look for a Sony 854-4S. Had 2 back in the 80s. Were real workhorses and sounded great. But won't be cheap if you find one.

Considering that same deck. At nearly double what a new Teac 3340 cost, weren't too many made.

Have owned and sold Teac, Akai, Sony and Tandberg (2ch.) Sold Technics, Pioneer and Dokorder as well.

Currently have a Teac on my main system.

Being a relatively new owner of a Teac 40-4, I have to say if you see one, don't pass it by. This deck is perfect for recording, rewinding and playing back quad software. I don't want to wear mine out using it for stereo as I have other decks for that. In fact don't pass by any quad deck you find (hit the pawn shops in every city in your area). Ebay can be a source if you can pick up the deck and avoid shipping and shipping damage to the deck you buy.

Would only buy a 4 or 8ch 10" reel deck for my personal use. Narrows the field dramatically. Already have a 2ch deck that takes 10' reels and does 3 3/4. I wouldn't be using a 4 or 8ch reel to play those, nor 7 or 5" reels.

Considering that same deck. At nearly double what a new Teac 3340 cost, weren't too many made.

Have owned and sold Teac, Akai, Sony and Tandberg (2ch.) Sold Technics, Pioneer and Dokorder as well.

Currently have a Teac on my main system.
Of course if you have the space, I'd get an Ampex AG440-4 or an AG445 if you want playback only. Probably not much more than a consumer deck these days. And built like a tank. Just don't get one that was retired from a radio station where it probably ran 24/7 for years straight.

What is the ne plus ultra of quad reel-to-reel decks? What are the runner-ups?

I'm looking to expand my collection into quad reels, and I want to put my best foot forward when it comes to playback. I'd love to also be able to use the deck as a 4-track recorder in my home studio for those clients looking to get that authentic tape sound. Ideally, that means 10.5" reel compatibility plus a 15 IPS (and maybe even 30 IPS?) speed option, as well as 7.5 IPS for commercial quad reels, with 3.75 IPS being least important. Unless, that is, there are desirable 3.75 IPS quad reels out there that I'm unaware of? I'm new to reels, so please feel free to educate me!
Sony 854-4S if you can find one and afford. Big reels, 3 speeds, Selsync (not that you need it)

Back