Best sampling frequency when ripping SACD-- 44.1 khz or higher?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impetigo

TIL that 2822.4 khz is the sampling frequency standard of SACD. 2822.4 khz is 64 times 44.1 khz, the redbook CD sampling frequency. Theoretically, it's best to avoid rounding errors by using for instance, in the case of SACD, 48 khz. But does it make a real difference? I guess I want to use 48 khz because it's the minimum "high res" frequency" IIRC, but not sure if it's silly because of rounding errors. I don't want to do 88.2 because of file size being too large, so would 44.1 be better for SACD than 48 khz?

If you really want go down the sampling rate, rip at 88.2 then downsample to 44.1, so the hi-frequency sacd artifacts are removed on the downsample. BTW, when you compress with flac the 88.2 file is not so bigger than the 44.1

If you really want go down the sampling rate, rip at 88.2 then downsample to 44.1, so the hi-frequency sacd artifacts are removed on the downsample. BTW, when you compress with flac the 88.2 file is not so bigger than the 44.1

Thanks! I decided also that 88.2 khz makes the most sense since it's an integer of the 2822.4 khz frequency standard for SACD but is higher than RBCD so it felt like a reasonable compromise. Good to know the 88.2 file is not double the 44.1 size!

I rip a lot of surround and stereo SACD's to there native DSD64.
I also reformat a lot of the same to play in my surround system in my car.
When I reformat I do to level 6 compression, FLAC 24 bit, 44.1.
My player in my car can handle the native but I have this little system of colored thumb drives, with an index on a Google spread sheet that I can access from my phone to fid the numbered/colored thumb drive I want to play.
In the native rip I can get at most 3 albums but at the 24/44.1 I can 10-12 albums.
I did A/B comparison in the car while not moving and I could not hear an audible difference enough for me to only stick with the native, it was successful at channel separation and in the car that was the more desirable, on the home rig it is always the native rip with SACD and FLAC with everything else.
I do my reformatting for my car use via JRiver>Format.

88.2kHz is the best sample frequency. Not because of the simpler resampling so much, but rather because DSD should be filtered at 50kHz or lower (30kHz or 40kHz may be best) - thus there will be little or no signal over 44.1kHz (88.2 / 2).

176.4kHz is just wasted space.

I rip a lot of surround and stereo SACD's to there native DSD64.
I also reformat a lot of the same to play in my surround system in my car.
When I reformat I do to level 6 compression, FLAC 24 bit, 44.1.
My player in my car can handle the native but I have this little system of colored thumb drives, with an index on a Google spread sheet that I can access from my phone to fid the numbered/colored thumb drive I want to play.
In the native rip I can get at most 3 albums but at the 24/44.1 I can 10-12 albums.
I did A/B comparison in the car while not moving and I could not hear an audible difference enough for me to only stick with the native, it was successful at channel separation

My hearing is not great if I'm being honest so there's zero chance I could tell the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192 or higher, but at the same time I like to have a minimum level just for archival purposes even if not logical at all! :cool:

and in the car that was the more desirable, on the home rig it is always the native rip with SACD and FLAC with everything else.

Wish my car could do surround sound, that would be incredible to listen to on the road, especially if streaming.

Modern software resampling isn't like the bad old days of standalone hardware units. The chances you could hear a difference between an integer and non-integer resampling are infinitesimal.

I believe you! Still, my obsessive-compulsive personality forced me to re-rip everything (not terrible as I was still early in the process, but about 20 albums). For SACD: 24/88.2, for DVD-A and blu-ray: 24/48.

88.2kHz is the best sample frequency. Not because of the simpler resampling so much, but rather because DSD should be filtered at 50kHz or lower (30kHz or 40kHz may be best) - thus there will be little or no signal over 44.1kHz (88.2 / 2).

176.4kHz is just wasted space.

Thanks, that is reassuring. Glad I saved the ISO so the process of re-converting to 24/88.1 was not very painful.

Just saw this thread and since we are on this topic. I think 24/88 is the best sampling rate for SACD. For conversion to flac, I would use a 25 or 30KHz filter and leave at 24/88. If you want to downsample to 24/44 then you will need to use a ~ 20 KHz filter otherwise you might get possibly (for those with super sharp ears & what not :))all the ultrasonic noise from frequencies above 22.05KHz folded back in ( usually <-90dBFS) to the 0 -22.05KHz range.

Back